Our Temples | Teen Ink

Our Temples

By kaitlynharmon BRONZE, Austin, Texas
kaitlynharmon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

Our bodies are works of art. We are created by the master of art, and we are His master pieces. Yet, we destroy this piece of art that He has created by treating our bodies like garbage. To simply put it, we do not take care of our bodies the way that we should. And it’s incredibly disappointing.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 states, “do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy spirit within you, whom you are from God? You are not your own for you were bought with a price. Glorify God in your body.” Our bodies are temples. We are sacred. Therefore, we should treat our bodies beautifully, sacredly, and intricately. We should look at them and not feel disappointed. We should embrace how we look because we are master pieces; we are works of art. I cannot fathom the idea of people treating their bodies so abysmally. Not only is it heartbreaking, it is disappointing. Fill your body with the very greens, fruits, and protein that God put on this earth. Feed art with art.

My heart breaks into a million pieces each time my friend, peer, or a stranger demolishes their body by conveying how disappointed, insecure, unpleasing, and ugly they believe their body to be. And three things run through my head each time someone breaks down their body in this way: one, you are perfect just the way you are; you may not be in the best of shape, or the prettiest girl in the room, but God believes you are beautiful just the way you are, two, embrace who you are and what you look like, and three, you can always change how you look, all it takes is the motivation and drive to be a better you. Never demolish your temple.

Jesus died on the cross for us and for our sins; at the least, we should honor Him by treating our bodies so sacredly and beautifully. Be so fearlessly passionate about your body that you never forget whose master piece you really are.