The Root of all Evil | Teen Ink

The Root of all Evil

March 8, 2017
By kelsocandia BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
kelsocandia BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“For the love of money is the root of all evil; which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.” - 1 Timothy 6:10. Money is an ugly thing, and the desire for money is uglier. Money is not only ugly but it makes the person with greed ugly too. It becomes an obsession for many, and for others, a tragic addiction. Addicted to money, like being addicted to heroine, will make a person do uncalled for actions. Leading a person to do almost anything just to have it. From prostitution to stealing, robbing, and malicious actions. Wealth consumes time and energy and can spin lives in circles with distorted views and great destruction. In the bible itself, Paul describes the price to pay for lust in spiritual loss, broken relationships, and damaged reputations. Money cannot buy happiness, love, and other core values. So, why do people sacrifice so much for such a wicked thing?


Money cannot buy you happiness. Well, many will argue, “that isn't true” or “money can buy me chocolate and that makes me pretty happy.” It is true, money can make you happy. But how long will that happiness last ? How long will that chocolate keep you full? Money is a temporary medicine, it heals just for a while. Just long enough to sustain the hunger. But the hunger will always come back, and it will never be tamed until one finds true values in life. Having a lot of money can mean not worrying when the rent is due, or if your kids will eat dinner tonight, or if you'll have the nicest clothes. Money can sure help a lot, and it sure can be useful in times of need like unexpected medical bills, car accidents, lawsuits, housing, and much much more. And a lack of money can leave a person anxious, struggling, and looking for ways to make ends meet. That’s when you hit rock bottom, when life takes a turn for the worst and you see the world full of empty promises and broken hopes. And when you think you have hit an all time low all because you do not have any money. And you feel discouraged. The problem here is the reliability of happiness to be based on money. Money cannot make you happy.



One should find happiness in qualities that cannot be taken away. Family, Love, the sun rising every morning, Jesus Christ the, the smell of fresh baked muffins, a newborn baby, all these examples and more is what makes up for living in this world full of despair and agony. The need for wealth alters the vision of beautiful souls. It is pathetic and sad to see a great spirit drown in an ocean of lust and greed. Instead of looking at the world with, “how can I make money?” one should look with eager eyes that say, “what can I do to help this world and the people living in it?” Having money can definitely help, but too much of it is a poor decision. One is not rich until he has something that money cannot buy. Things like morals, respect, manners, character, class, integrity, and love are all qualities that no amount of money can buy. Money can never buy love. And love is the most powerful feeling and possession anyone can obtain in this world. Love is what fills the heart and soothes souls. Love and money is like water and oil, they don't mix. Find happiness and seek happiness in love, because one who seeks happiness in money will be left with coldness, emptiness, brokenness, sorrow, and depression. My father always tells me that it is much better to be poor and happy, than to be rich and miserable. And my mother tells me to not love materialistic things, but to love true values. It is far better to educate yourself into being happy, not rich, to know the value of things, not the price. Similarly, a beautiful heart can bring things into your life that all the money in the world could not obtain, find a loving heart. And cherish it with all that you can because at the end of this life, we cannot take it with us to the grave. Every one is equal when we are dead. 


The author's comments:

I am a strong believer in equality and God.