A Deep Conflict Inside My Head | Teen Ink

A Deep Conflict Inside My Head

By Dojunior BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
Dojunior BRONZE, Riyadh, Other

When asked of whether god exists or not when my age was 10, my answer would have definitely been “yes the god exists”. The same result can not be expected today, as my answer would probably be similar but rather indefinite. Learning science over the years has benefited my knowledge in more ways than one but as a negative effect made me more skeptical towards my religion. Studying science only acknowledged me of the differences between religion and science.

If god existed, how can it be explained? If god created us and loves us, how come god gives us disasters and pain? These were some of the questions I wondered about my religion. When attempting to answer these questions by myself it was illogical and from my perspective science and religion were becoming very different from each other to merge as a whole. Unique from other subjects science required close examination for the purpose to acquire evidence. The study of science told from one of my teachers, was based on the analysis of evidence. In my science classes, I couldn’t just simply guess. Hypothesis required several experiments and careful observations to reach its conclusions. For me, religion was never the same. God was never seen by me, but faith was the key. There would be freedom for me to guess about god. Through the years, science has taught me the importance of observable evidence. This made me skeptical towards my religion as evidence whether god exists was never seen by me.

From my science teachers, I have heard countless times that science was a subject with no ends. These teachings were correct as through history, theories were constantly rectified like the geocentric theory that was soon corrected to be the heliocentric theory. Religion however, was different. It was preserving the great and old teachings of Jesus and the god. Science as a subject was particularly interesting for me as it required constant experimentation for the purpose to gain evidence.

For example, the theory of darwin states that human beings were evolved based on the three principles of variation, adaptation, and heredity. This theory baffled me for reasons. First If the theory was correct, the origins of life were then never created by god but rather evolved through time. And second, evidence of the fossils of apes were supporting the theory of evolution. The theory of evolution made sense as animals constantly evolving has become a fact, not a theory. For many years, I believed that humans and the universe were created by the almighty god. But the inevitable facts of animals constantly evolving and the theory of evolution that is yet to be proved perplexed me and instigated me to inquire many questions about my religion.

The younger myself never doubted Christianity. My younger self only kept the side that god and Jesus are great and there can be no individual that can question their greatness. The same is not true for me today as I hold skeptical sides too. Learning science acknowledged me of the more differences of religion and science. My hope for now is that the two are not in constant arguments but in peace inside my head.

ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

The way I see it, the more science I learn, the deeper my beliefs are confirmed. The article I wrote, titled 'The Big Bang and Evolution are False,' explains more on why science confirms my belief in God.