Pride and Perseverance | Teen Ink

Pride and Perseverance

By sararachel BRONZE, Virginia Beach, Virginia
sararachel BRONZE, Virginia Beach, Virginia

“What’s the difference between a Jew and pizza? When you put pizza in the oven it doesn’t scream.” The amount of times I’ve heard somebody tell a ‘joke’ like this is innumerable. How does it benefit one in any way to disgrace somebody for something that is so far beyond their control? The number of inconsiderate and violent acts against people of the Jewish faith has been going on since the beginning of time and continues to this very day.
This distorted view of the Jewish religion has gone far beyond inappropriate remarks.   What is happening in other countries scares me tremendously. In January of 2015, there was a stabbing on a bus in Tel Aviv, Israel believed to be a solo act by a 23 year old Palestinian man. What scares me even more is that my friends take that bus route nearly everyday. What if that would’ve been them? I firmly believe that acts of Anti-Semitism happen daily, even something as “harmless” as a joke, but in reality, whether it be a stabbing or disrespectful remark, the effect it leaves on people is scarring, both emotionally and psychically. 

Even after six million innocent people were tortured and killed as a result of Hitler’s reign, the derogatory references, jokes, and acts still haven’t stopped. As congressman Eliot Engel said, “Yet, nearly 6 decades after the Holocaust concluded, Anti-Semitism still exists as the scourge of the world.” For example, there is a socialist movement who refer to themselves as the Neo-Natzi’s. This group of socialists that continue to take pride in their hatred of the Jewish religion still exist in various places around the world today.

A majority of the Jewish holidays, such as Passover, celebrate togetherness and overcoming odds.  Just like the Jewish people did while escaping Egypt, we need to come together and be strong against the false accusations made against us.  Although these wrongful words can make us feel inferior, we need to keep in mind that such words are far from true. As the people of the Jewish religion proved during the Holocaust, we are fully capable of banding together and overcoming all odds.