Masterwork

Everyone dreams of adventure. Isn’t that why people read novels? To engross themselves into another world, to travel alongside a character you love on all his or her trials and adventures. How would you feel if you were a character in a story? If you were chosen, or born for it, or in the right place at the right time in order to save a planet or a country or a people, to vanquish a deadly foe, to fall in love or overthrow oppression, to make a difference in a way you never could have imagined on your own.

As with every good story, you would start off as the underdog. Maybe you’re bullied at school, or ignored, or don’t think you’re good enough, or have a debilitating flaw. Odds are, at the beginning of your story, whatever the problem is, nobody thinks you can handle it.

But slowly, you rise to meet the challenge. Through heartbreaking trials, through thick and thin, you persevere, out to do the right thing. You may not think you’re good enough, but you press on because you have to. Like it or not, the story rides on you. Whether it’s lives of freedom or friendship, something is at stake, and it depends on you.

At some point, there is what I like to call a “dungeon moment.” You’ve read of them. It’s that one point where the hero—you—are taken captive and at the mercy of the enemy, when you’re certain everything is lost, when all of your efforts are ignored. Defeat is so close, you can taste it, and it doesn’t taste good.

But before long, something happens. Something turns everything around, changes everything. Whether it is another character giving hope, or the enemy’s weakness being revealed, or a brilliant escape plan being hatched, something turns the tide and changes things. You, the hero, unexpectedly rise again to fight another day, to make one last-ditch effort, because you know that if you can’t do it, no one can. And against all odds, you succeed. Against all odds, you emerge victorious, you vanquish the enemy, you make things right.

I realize that not every story goes exactly like this, but I can think of countless stories where this basic skeleton is found. Many of the best books I’ve ever read—a vast majority, come to think of it—follow this design. The only reason it’s not cliché is that it never gets old, and there are so many variations of it that an author can use it as many times as they like and still have an original story.

Most in the audience can appreciate another aspect of a good story: no story is made without a good writer. There is an author behind every story with every character in every situation. No matter who the main character is, he or she was specially created to fulfill a purpose, to accomplish something. And every writer, no matter what else they write, will ensure that every character fulfills his or her role. A writer knows his or her characters inside and out, better than they know themselves. A writer designs a story in such a way that no matter what the main character has to go through, he or she always rises to the challenge, and is able to do all that is asked of him or her.

What if you were a character in a story? Don’t ask yourself, “Would I be able to do it?” I can answer that for you: yes, you can, since you ARE in a story.

You were created for a purpose. You were conceived of before the world began, the days of your life already ordained. Your story was already being built when you were born. The Author knows you inside and out, knows your every thought and emotion, and is honing you to be exactly the character He has in mind.

An Author created the universe and everything in it. This Author is easily the best to ever exist; He’s written billions of stories. Maybe you think you’re not good enough, but get this: not only are you one of His main characters, but for countless others, you are a sidekick or supporting role or you make a cameo appearance. Without you, any number of stories would never come to fruition. One person can and does make such an impact. Every person you come in contact with, you affect somehow. It’s a ripple effect: you will never know exactly how someone else was changed by meeting you. But the Author knows. He designed it that way.

Don’t protest that you’re just one of billions. A wise pastor* once said, “Ever number has a name every name has a story and every story matters to God.” And this holds true, no matter who you are. Why? Because God is the Author, and He wrote your story. You are His masterwork.

Romans 1:16--For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes. 

the-mormon-introvertThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love it! This is so true and I'm glad somebody put it in words. Good job :)

PTsaxplayer said...
Hey @CNBono17 been a while. I just realized you are from Clover! I am from Spartanburg we should get together sometime soon :)

writer-violistThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! Just wow! CNBono17, you did an amazing job on this piece! At first, I didn't realize that it was about faith but then the puzzle pieces fit together perfectly. I loved how you added biblical truths to writing and that everyone has a place and that they are not just a number. I really liked many of the phrases you used such as "Defeat is so close, you can taste it, and it doesn’t taste good.", "or a brilliant escape plan being hatched, something turns the tide and changes things", and call... (more »)

CNBono17 replied...
Oct. 9, 2015 at 9:23 am
Thank you so much, and God bless! (Love your work as well:) )

LegendKeeper said...
"I will never leave you, nor forsake you." - Hebrews 13:5 "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness." - Psalm 37:3 "For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the LORD upholds the righteous. The LORD knows the days of the upright, and their inheritance shall be forever." -Psalm 37:17-18 "By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories...the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. Sometimes you d... (more »)

CNBono17 replied...
God bless:) And love both the Psalms and Sam's speech!

gracefulwaters said...
To be honest, I started reading this, and immediately I thought that it would be like something Teenink sends in the newsletters to help you become a better writer, but I quickly realized it was completely different. Then I thought it was cool, but I didn't really understand why you wrote it. Then, towards the end, I realized that you meant God was the author, and I thought it was a religious opinion article. Which it is. But a lot more interesting than what you would expect of an article with t... (more »)

CNBono17 replied...
Thanks so much!

BreeZephyr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 13, 2015 at 10:20 am
This is a beautiful message for people all over the world. Very well written. And guess what's also a beautiful message: the Villain has already lost the battle :)

CNBono17 replied...
Mar. 13, 2015 at 11:05 am
Thank you! God bless! BTW have you heard the song He Will Carry Me by Mark Schultz? Godsend...

BreeZephyr This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
This work actually makes me think of this Avalon song called "The Greatest Story". It's a little bit like your piece. And no, I haven't heard that song, but I'll look it up :D

CNBono17 replied...
I had never heard that one, but I looked it up just now. My gosh, it's amazing. Thanks:)

WOWriting said...
Interesting piece. Really made me think. Im not sure what to say... Don't believe in God (I think?) but this was still a really intriguing perception. Nice work :)

BeilaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow! Thank you! Thank you so much for sharing this message! As a religious Jewish girl, I believe passionately in the unique, irreplacable role that every single human being alive must serve. Your article is so well written and so cleverly connected to the daydream of being a story character. A couple years ago, my family moved to a city where we knew no one, and it was a very difficult period in my life, emotionally. Amazingly enough, I met a person there seemingly by chance (though there are n... (more »)

CNBono17 replied...
Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:55 am
Thank you so much! Although I think God gave me a nudge on this one:)