Ultimatum

What is worth the ultimate sacrifice? Seriously. What are you willing to die for? Heroes in books and movies are typically willing to die to save the world. Martyrs are willing to die for what they believe in. Soldiers are willing to die to protect their country.

Many heroes give their lives to save the lives of others. Life is precious, but is life worth dying for? I believe it is. I believe that a true hero is one who does the right thing, always, without asking for recognition, without regard for the cost to themselves. Bravery, determination, strength, and fast thinking are good qualities to have, but selflessness is what makes a hero.

Do you have it in you? It’s rare that ordinary people are called on to make the ultimate sacrifice, but it does happen. If given a choice between something you know is right and something you know is wrong, would you have the courage to make the right choice and then deal with the consequences, whatever they were?

You really don’t know whether you can until you get in that situation, and you might not ever. Most people don’t. But you never know what will happen. Life is never, ever predictable. The things you least expect happen when you least expect them.

Think about the 9/11 emergency responders. The teachers in the Newtown shooting. Many in our military, who die defending their comrades and our freedom. These heroes rose to the occasion, defending the lives of others without regard to personal sacrifice, or possibly in spite of the personal sacrifice involved. Many of them died for it. They were selfless.

On 9/11, there is a forgotten story, hidden among the falling Twin Towers. Another plane, United Airlines Flight 93, was hijacked by suicide bombers, and rerouted, intending to crash into the White House or the Capitol building. The passengers of the plane revolted against the hijackers, fighting for control of the plane. One of the passengers, a business executive named Thomas Burnett, Jr., told his wife over the phone, "I know we’re all going to die. There’s three of us who are going to do something about it. I love you, honey.” They crashed in Pennsylvania soon after, and the crash killed all aboard.

The greatest example of the ultimate sacrifice is found in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that He gave his only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” Jesus Christ died so that we might have life eternal. “For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.” (John 3:17) He did it out of love.

As a Christian, I’m called to live out my faith, to be Christ to a lost and hurting world. But the question I sometimes have to ask myself is how far am I willing to go? Would I be willing to make that sacrifice to do the right thing, to save someone else?

Could you do it? Could you, in the midst of chaos, while the world is crashing and burning around you, stand up for what’s right and make the ultimate sacrifice? It’s sobering to think about, to come to terms with your own mortality, to evaluate what you believe in. But think about it anyway.

Is life worth dying for?

John 3:16-17, NIV

the-mormon-introvertThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amazing. I love it. This is an important message to everyone, not just Christians. Good job :)

Mrs_Babble_Dolittle said...
What a powerful piece. Do you think that honor/glory is worth dying for?

CNBono17 replied...
That, I think, depends entirely on the situation. Sometimes, but sometimes not. Thanks for the comment:)

TaylorCortre said...
I love this piece, it is thought provoking and forces the reader to search their soul. I am a devout Christian myself and so I think that I can relate in a way that some of these other commenters can't. It's something I've forced myself to look at time and time again. I think all you can do is make the choice now that you will do it. It will be easier then. Anyways I loved the piece, I did think that the line "The things you least expect happen when you least expect them." was a little oddly wor... (more »)

A-C-Y said...
Apr. 12, 2015 at 6:27 am
I'm not Christian, but I still enjoyed your writing! Your deep insights and personal opinion got me thinking about the question myself: Am I willing to make the sacrifice? To be honest, I don't know. But thank you for this, I really enjoyed reading it! :)

Amai-kun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm personally agnostic, but I do enjoy your writing. You write with passion and fervor, and it's sad we don't see that too often. I also very much like how well-thought-out this was. I can tell you've worked hard on it and edited it (possibly more than once). The one thing I would suggest is making it shorter, though that might just be my own attention span. Good work!

CNBono17 replied...
Mar. 5, 2015 at 9:18 am
Thanks:) God bless!

CaseyChickenWang This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Omg CNBono. I read "The Odds of You" and this piece. I must say that I love your writings. It's so full of insight and personal reflection. I really admire the fact that you love writing about faith. God bless you :)

CNBono17 replied...
Thank you so much! And you as well! :)

EttieGH said...
Jan. 25, 2015 at 10:39 am
I really love this. Most of us today have beliefs that we go by, but we never really think further than what we do now and what's happening around us. It really gives people stuff to think about, whether or not we truly believe in or love what we say we do. This was really well-written and captivating.

CNBono17 replied...
Thank you so much!

BeautyWhispers said...
This piece of work is amazing! It sucked me in from the very first word, and was very well written. Keep it up!

CNBono17 replied...
Nov. 28, 2014 at 11:31 am
Thank you both!

SilverLiner said...
Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:12 am
i love it! and touché; the greatest ultimate sacrifice is indeed Christ's death... great work!