My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

Heather C. said...
I'm a Christian. I believe in a supernatural being. But it's not because I don't want the responsibility of my actions on my shoulders. When I do something I shouldn't, I know that there is no one to blame but myself. I can empathize with many of your points, but I love to believe the I have a heavenly Father looking down on me with love. I quote, "I'd rather live my life believing that there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than to live my life not believing that there is a god and die... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 9:23 am :

"I would rather live my life believing that there is a god, and die to find out that there isn't, than to live my life believing in no god, and die to find out that there is."

So basically you would rather live a lie then die with the truth? Pascal's Wager? Lovely. You don't think a God can't see past your bets? That your faith is only based on "What is the best option, what benefits me the most, what can I do to ensure I won't lose"?

And don't think that belief either wa... (more »)

Artgirl1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:24 pm :
Heather C.: Good for you! I am also a 13-year-old born again Christian and I share all the beliefs you have posted on here. Way to go! Everyone, you should listen to Heather, she knows what she's talking about.

Musicandlove said...
Well put, thanks! & I agree!

sydney S. said...
I feel the same exact way! The way you put it into words was great!

Musicandlove said...
They are not* Oops!

savetheplanet said...
Wow, this is a beautifully written article and it's shown me a new perspective.  While I will remain Catholic I can empathize with some of your points.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 12:30 am:

Please, one of you Christians, prove your God exists to me.

Oh, wait...you can't. :)

I'm a fan of this article.

alexandria1124 replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm :
We can't because you're not willing to believe. Nothing I say would change your mind right now unless you were ready to listen and discuss and learn.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 8:21 pm :
"Not willing to believe" is not interchangeable with" not willing to listen, discuss and learn." In my prior talks with Christians, they have failed to make me" believe." I am "unwilling to believe" unless sufficient evidence is provided that a "God" exists, for which there is none, nor will ever be (of the scientific sort.) I am willing to listen and discuss with you, if so given the opportunity.

alexandria1124 replied...
Sept. 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm :
Oh, okay. I understand what you're saying it was pretty confusing... haha. But, my first point would be - so much salt goes into the ocean each and every year right? Well, they've measured it up, and have concluded that if the world has been around for 600 billion years, then the ocean would be like walking on a salt block because so much would have been deposited into it.

Sept. 14, 2011 at 8:37 pm :
Could you link me to this study?

Breece6This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm :
Well actually the logic of a universe existing without a God contradicts itself.  The law of conservation of matter and energy states that this universe could not have been created randomly.  The only logical explanation is that something (or someone) had to have existed forever in order for anything to exist at all.  Chances are that whatever has existed forever will continue existing forever and does exist now.  For some reason that sounds an awful lot like God to me.

Sept. 30, 2011 at 4:19 pm :

Erm. The laws of conservation of matter and energy state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can change its form.

So... ?

Oct. 2, 2011 at 4:33 pm :
So it makes no sense, with what we know in today's scientific knowledge, that the universe just "randomly happened".  It had to come from somewhere, because according to our scientific laws, creation just doesn't "happen randomly".

Oct. 5, 2011 at 7:36 pm :
Indeed. The energy was never created, it changed its form. And by your logic a supreme being never would've been able to create anything either, despite that the laws of science do not apply to supernatural phenomena.

Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:05 am :
First of all, if the energy that made the universe "changed its form" where did the original energy it changed from come from?  Second of all, the "laws of science" are scraps of knowledge we have pieced together with our very limited senses and tools.  Hundreds of years ago a "law of science" was that if something was launched into the air, it would go straight up at angle, reach its peak, and then sharply turn to fall at an exact angle, like a triangle.  My point is that we cert... (more »)

Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:38 am :
Using a hundred-year-old example is kind of irrelevant.... you could say the same thing for medicine, because after all, we bled people out with leeches a hundred years ago. Or religion-hundreds of years ago you could be burned at the stake for saying the wrong thing. Science has made leaps and bounds. Modern day science cannot simply be dismissed as "Oh, those silly scientists don't know anything." Particularly theories of evolution and the big bang, which are supported by a vast body of scien... (more »)

Oct. 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm :
It all gets very specific after a while, for one thing what I believe in happens to be a very particular form of christianity, and judging from your concluding tone I don't really think you want to go into details.  But as for your statement about the "vast body of knowledge", keep in mind this "vast body of knowledge" about the Big Bang (I believe in Evolution actually I just believe it was a divine intention not random) is based off complex simulations based off data from, guess what? Mor... (more »)

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 11, 2011 at 6:43 pm :
Hes not just our God hes your God too. He created you just as he did me.

Steph0804 said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:28 am:
I am sick of all these commentors trying to convert others. I don't mind stating your opinion, but telling others "Save yourself! Satan is lying to you!" or "God doesn't exist! Snap out of it!" is just stupid. Can't we just respect each other and agree to disagree? (I'm sorry, I'm a hypocrite. I made a few conversionalistic atheist comments on this page, but I can't find them.)