My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

Breece6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If it's all the same to you, not having any spiritual ties to anything, I don't really think you should be a traditional "aetheist".  I think you should try the post 30 years war style "skepticism" or something I've heard of called "Nialism" (I'm not sure if I spelled that right).  I head "Nialism(or however you spell it)" is the belief that we can never know anything for sure so the best thing we can do is to draw conclusions from what we can try to figure out.

Breece6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 10, 2011 at 5:26 am
Thanks, I don't have a very firm knowledge about the word (my brother introduced the idea to me) so I wouldn't know.  Thank you for clearing that up, I think the work skeptic works fine in the context of my belief.

JulianneV said...
I agree... this is kind of like Buddhism, though.

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 11:21 am
I think it's more like Empiricism

sarahmichelle98 replied...
i always tought buddhism was fascinating....and whats Emiricism?

TheEarlofZerces replied...
EMpiricism is the train of thought that truths in this world can be found out through observation and logic, rather than faith and taking everything at face value.

JulianneV replied...

so kind of like transcendentilism

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Dec. 10, 2011 at 10:23 am
Just the opposite, actually. Transcendentalism states that the best guide through life is your own gut feeling and your intuition. Empiricism states that the best guide through life are facts and logic. In other words, Transcendentalism looks inwards, while Empiricism looks outwards.

Confused_scheherazade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 24, 2011 at 12:03 am
Thanks. It's to know that someone believes in thinking about the harder topics in life. I can't say that I'm strongly into religion. I believe that people should act kind and warm for themselves, not for someoneelse. Great article. Can you read mine, To Hell and to Heaven.

Heather C. said...
I am a Christian. I believe in a supernatural being. I don't believe in Him because I don't want the responsibility of my actions to weigh down on my shoulders. Believe me when I say that when I do something I shouldn't, I know that there is no one to blame but myself. I can empathize with many of your points, but I love to believe that there is my heavenly Father looking down on me with love. I quote, "I would rather live my life believing that there is a god, and die to find out that there isn... (more »)

Heather C. replied...
Sorry, didn't mean to post the same thing twice!

Heather C. said...
I'm a Christian. I believe in a supernatural being. But it's not because I don't want the responsibility of my actions on my shoulders. When I do something I shouldn't, I know that there is no one to blame but myself. I can empathize with many of your points, but I love to believe the I have a heavenly Father looking down on me with love. I quote, "I'd rather live my life believing that there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than to live my life not believing that there is a god and die... (more »)

daughterofeve14 replied...
I totally agree with you Heather C. I am Christian, and I am 100% sure that God created the Heavens, and Earth. But I mean if you die and find out theres no God atleast you believed just to be sure. With that we win either way.

Heather C. replied...
:) I'm glad your on the bandwagon! Another thing that I heard once that I use is when someone asks you, "What if you're wrong?" "If I'm wrong, then I have done nothing but live by a Book that only betters me and others. But if you're wrong, are you willing to risk the consequences?"

dolphin13 replied...
Amen! Agreeing with you 100%! Win-win situation! :)

Heather C. replied...
*sigh* Only for some, unfortunately...

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Nov. 5, 2011 at 11:23 am
Not necessarily. After all, 2 and 2 make 4, but so do 1 and 3.

Heather C. replied...
What I learned at home, in church, and in school, is that there is one way to get to heaven, and that is through Jesus Christ. We can't earn heaven - it is a gift, if we wish to receive it.

TheEarlofZerces replied...
Ah yes, maybe for you. But the rules for Scrabble don't apply to those who play Monopoly. Your "Scrabble-Rule" of accepting Christ to get to Heaven holds absolutely no sway over us "Monopoly-Playing" agnostics, secularists, atheists, and empiricists. Are you essentially saying that some one who murders and maims in the name of Jesus Christ will get to Heaven, while a fine, respectable, hard-working, but atheist member of society will go to Hell? Because if that's true, then your Jesus Christ see... (more »)

Heather C. replied...
I'm sorry you feel that way. I know that people do horrible things "in the name of Jesus Christ," but do you really think my Jesus approves? We humans are only that - human. Only God himself is perfect. We all make mistakes. Many of which are unforgivable in the eyes of the world, but somehow, my God forgives those. If someone murders and maims in the name of Jesus Christ, I think that person has a pretty sick view of Him. Just because someone does something in the name of God, doesn't mean it's... (more »)

Heather C. replied...
A verse in the Christian Bible, Matthew 7:21-23 answers your question: "Not everyone who says to me [God], 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophecy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'