My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 2:08 am:
even though i believe in God, i loved this article. great job - 5/5!

zebrastripe13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i totally agree with this! this is really well said

FlyByNight said...
Do you not want to find the Truth? Do you think you can uphold yourself? Are you really strong enough? Is it all about YOU?

xflighty_firex replied...
May 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm :
Basically, yes.

BlueRain replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 8:56 am :

Do you want to find the truth: Don't most people?

Do you think you can uphold yourself: Yes, we have skeletal structures that are held together by joints and lined with muscles, we could hold ourselves up since we learned to walk. When we fall, we stand up.

Are you really strong enough: That's ever person's own battle. It's a choice.

Is it all about you: Well, her perspective, her view, is the only view she will ever know. She knows only what she's seen, thought orheard, ... (more »)

erhmagerd21 replied...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:00 am :
Thank you! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who agrees!

keturha24 said...
Mar. 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm:
i respect your opinion even though i don't agree with it...science doesn't explain everything. Even Stephen Hawkings beleived in a higher power.

TimeTravellerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 8, 2013 at 11:37 am :
He believes in a 'cosmic majesty', not god. Just saying.

peacelovemeow232 said...
Feb. 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm:
THANK YOU. I agree with this so much. I feel like I am constantly being judged by my friends and their families because I am an atheist. I wish I could share this article with everyone in the whole world. You are the best!!!

torteola said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm:
man i konow you don't belive and religion but who make you and who make you family

dancegirl13 replied...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 2:50 pm :
Last time I checked, apes were the ones that 'made' all of us.

Artgirl1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:07 pm :
We didn't come from apes. Missing link, anyone? Last time I checked, the missing link was STILL missing!

Sara K said...
Hello! Wow! Looks like you hit on a hot topic - 703 (now 704 ;) comments! You really make a poignant argument - would I be correct in thinking that you're a political libertarian? I lean towards that myself, so I thought I'd ask. ;) (I also use way too many smilie faces...) You seemed to be suggesting in your article that God tries to force people to believe a certain thing or do certain things, so I just figured I'd point out that God (as Christians see Him) in no way tries to take away anyone... (more »)

TheGinjaNinja replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 5:20 pm :
I don't understand why you have to include your opinion in this discussion. It seems as though you are trying to disprove what she believes in.

schlage said...
I love this article. I'm not an athiest, but I believe everyone should respect the religious views of others. I also like your point of view on fate. I agree that the choices we make decide our fate, not a diagram that's set up for us when we're born.

BlueRain said...

I like the wording of this article very much. I myself am not athiest, but in all reality I should be a Christian, since my family is and I was brought up with it. I think I was in bible school almost every day when I was younger. However, the bible never took hold of me. The idea of a God and Jesus has always interested me, but not for the same reasons. Do I really believe that his sacrifice actually washed away our sins? No, but I think he made an amazing statement. And if it actually did h... (more »)

agree replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 2:36 pm :
agreed. you said exactly what i thought, except im not a christian

BlueRain replied...
Jan. 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm :
I'm not either, I'd think I'm considered agnostic. My christian friends scared me away a long time ago.

Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:10 pm :
OK, wait a second. How does the Bible "contradict" itself? One of the most amazing things about the Bible is that it agrees with itself even though it was written over a period of hundreds of years.

ErisRose said...
I like how you wrote this article, you explained your point without trying to disprove or argue against other religions but I disagree with what you believe. I am a Christian but I respect that everyone should be given the same freedom of religion. If you are an atheist or agnostic or whatever you choose to believe/not believe in that is your choice. I think it is kind of pointless that everyone argues against other's religions. What good does it really do? No one should feel that they have to p... (more »)