My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

Vital_Critic said...
no, we are not. Religion is almost a way of control, created thousands of years ago when people could not explain things. Now that we have advanced, and can explain many things, we dont need this religion to help us understand. Religion is a waste of time, a way to make a priest molesting a child look acceptable, a way to keep a patriarchal society, a way from keeping people achievingtheir dreams. Let people do what they want, and keep religion out of it.

Navi-Talmid-Shel-Seraphim replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 9:14 am :
I know that Vital_Cirtic. I'm not yelling, I'm making a point. Yeah, one thing is for sure: this world hates me while I show love, compassion and, mercy. If you just don't like me, then don't comment on my comment and I'll leave you be.

leafy replied...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 12:49 pm :
ok, sorry for saying you were yelling. but if you call that love, compassion, and mercy, then i suddenly became obama.

Navi-Talmid-Shel-Seraphim replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 9:47 am :
All is forgiven, but that last part (excuse me for my ignorance), didn't quite make sense "then i suddenly became obama". First off I don't like our president, I'm a Republican and I don't like Democrats. What he is for, I'm against.

leafy replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 3:18 pm :
what i meant by that was that you didn't show love, compassion or mercy in your past comment, because i am not obama and i never will be. (unless a marry a guy with the last name of obama, but thats unlikely.) and i didn't ask for politics here, i don't care if you hate obama or not. if i did i would check out the politics section

leafy replied...
Jan. 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm :
okey dokey. truce. sorry about that

Navi-Talmid-Shel-Seraphim replied...
Jan. 31, 2011 at 7:18 am :
All is forgiven friend.

SydneyB. said...
lolz critic is a very good name for you. =)

SydneyB. said...
I used to not believe in god myself. Im still alittle iffy on it but ever scince I knew about my guardian angle.... well thing changed my perspective.

BlueRain replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:25 am :

I have a guardian angle too, it's a right angle. He helped me get a place within the Square.

Sorry, I care about grammar.

daneshzg said...
I dont think you can deny you have a soul... I mean, thats not really part of religion, thats part of your life... and just to notify you, religion doesn't have to be looked to as a belief... It is based on the morality of the world.

Hollyss replied...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm :
Respectfully, I disagree. I don't feel that people have souls, and while you may you should understand that some people just don't. I think everything is equally plausible until proven false. When I die, I will either find God or just be dead.

StarredCritic said...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 11:24 am:
Religion is always a sketchy topic, a fine line between obsession and passion. I believe that I agree with your take. I think it's as simple as good and evil. I want to be good, and I don't think, whether there is a God or elite being or not, that he/she/it would disapprove. After all, if we're earhly creatures, why should we be expected to understand how the entire universe functions?

StarredCritic replied...
Jan. 7, 2011 at 11:25 am :
That would be "earthly"

Behind_Blue_EyesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm :

i dont really have a religion but im not a complete ahteis. i think this is an awesome piece and i really see where ur coming from.

i also agree w/StarredCritic- religion is the fine lie btwn obsession and passion. there r some ppl who just want nothing with it. enough said.

Hollyss replied...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm :
There are crazy people in this world, and nothing will change their craziness. You are born crazy, not your belief system. I think you'll find obsessive people everywhere: religious or not.

WrItEr2010 said...
This was a good article, but I have a question. How can you live and not believe in God? I just don't really understand how somebody could live without any belief in God. What happens after you die? 

kao-chanu replied...
Jan. 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm :
hmm you die? thats it... nothing intricate about it. no afterlife. :) just nothing you die. the end. and thats okay:)

Jack-Out-of-Box replied...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 7:34 pm :
Hmm...that's horribly depressing. So I live my life, I die, that's it and I'm fertilizer? Sorry, but I just can't believe that.

WrItEr2010 replied...
Jan. 20, 2011 at 8:08 pm :
yah. that is really depressing. if one of your relatives died, that would be soooo horrible.

leafy replied...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm :
lol jack, i like your take on kao's summary of life and death. even though i do think there is a god, most of my friends don't have a religion, and one of them is a very extreme atheist. he basically believes that there was no beginning and that there will be no end of earth and that when he dies, he's just dead. that's it. he's fertilizer