My Religion This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

Missyninja said...
I really like your post. I agree with what your saying, good job! :) 

dolphin13 said...
Mar. 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm:
I understand how you want to have control of your life, but really how can anyone say that they control the good and bad in their life when no one is conscious of their own heart beat. In a minute a heart can stop, a stroke could occur, tumors can build up, and multiple other injuries could occur. That is why I believe in God. I see the sunrise, the sunset, the Grand Canyon, the mountains, the variety of animals, and my one body functioning with little con... (more »)

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:32 am :
Yes, every minute, there is a chance that you're heart might stop. So, during our fleeting lives, I think it's best to make the most of our lives and take pride in ourselves and our achievements (but not hubris. definitely not hubris.)

BlueRain replied...
Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:14 am :
So the 1.2 million Americans who had a heart attack this year.. God doesn't care about them?

LiquidSilver said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 7:06 pm:

Sarah,

As a Christian, I want to tell you something. God does exist, as does Satan. Please, do not listen to the ideas that God doesn't exist and neither do souls, demons, or the Devil. They are all very real. 

I want you to know this for your safety. Satan wants you to think that God doesn't exist, neither does Heaven nor Hell. Do not listen to his lies! Please!

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, and whomever believes in him shall not per... (more »)

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:10 am :

Sarah, there are hundreds, if not thousands of atheists out there who could say the same thing to you. "Sarah, I want you to be saved from mindles, blind faith based on a book written by man, not God." We believe in our cause just as strongly as you believe in yours. This author is just living their life, day to day, trying to make the most of their existence before death. We're doing the same.

Just because we don't believe in God, it doesn't mean we go around sinning all the tim... (more »)

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:26 am :

Marnina said...
Mar. 16, 2011 at 7:45 pm:
I'm not an atheist but, whenever I say I went to church or say i'm religious they assume i'm a Christian.

foxwriter said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 5:34 pm:
I really love this. I have to admit that I don't know what my religion is. I don't believe in god or the afterlife but I believe in souls. Thumbs up to you for honestly stating your beliefs. :)

KayKay:-) said...
Mar. 5, 2011 at 7:55 am:
Hey, great for you that you are openly saying you have no religion! I know some people that get all angry when I say I am Methodist and they go on this big thing about the Big Bang and science and all of that crud. But hey, worship who you want to worship, or don't worship at all. (By the way, I don't believe fate exists either. God - or something else - lets us do our own thing, and even if it's bad He'll probably punish us or something.)

FOBlover replied...
May 29, 2011 at 10:50 am :

can i just make the comment that the big bang and science is not crud because:

1- there is proof the big bang existed it still echoes 5million years later and

2- science is a great way of explaining how and why things happen

do you have any proof that G.O.D created everything....

it seems that religion is all about beliving something with no actual basis except from a book.

I'm not trying to slag anybody for their religion, I personally are aithiest and my m... (more »)

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:30 am :

Please, can we just agree to disagree?

besides, I'm an atheist too, but the big bang and evolution is "crud" when everyone's trying to use it to convert you.

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:33 am :
So sorry, responded to the wrong comment.

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:34 am :

Please, can we just agree to disagree?

besides, I'm an atheist too, but the big bang and evolution is "crud" when everyone's trying to use it to convert you.

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:34 am :
Sheesh, again, wrong comment.

HisAmbassador said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm:
I understand you view and hold you in the same high respect as any other of my friends but i pray that God will show you He is the way the truth and the Light

Bren_Bren replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 11:16 pm :
I really do agree with you because every one has thier own opinion

Justin W. replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 7:19 pm :
I know that your entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, but it just sounds like your subliminally trying to get this person, and any other person, to switch from their religion, or non-religion, to yours, just because you feel that that is the correct way to live. What works for you most certaintly does not work for everybody.

HisAmbassador replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:09 pm :
I understand what you are saying and to tell you the truth, Yes i am trying to show them God's love and His truth. It is out of love not bragging saying i am right. We are each a sinner and i want to see each person enjoy God's love

Steph0804 replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:38 am :
Please, let's stop trying to convert one another. Let's just agree to disagree. Just because my friend's a devout Christian, I don't spout big bang theory at her, and she doesn't quote the bible to me. We're cool with it. our relationship is totally separate from our religion.