The Sacrifice of Peace This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Peace comes in unexpected ways.

The other day when I was in the market buying fruits and vegetables for dinner that night, I was in a rush to get home at a certain time. I didn’t want to spend all of my Sunday at the market. But then peace hit me like a train. I just stopped where I was, my full basket dangling from my hand, and stood still. The sound of the market was suddenly relaxing, with the quiet chatter of people around me, laughter, the air conditioner on low blast. Peace hit me and I had a sudden urge to lay down on the floor, close my eyes and soak in the moment. My worries floated away like clouds on a sunny day, and all I felt was this intense rest.

Peace comes in unexpected ways.

This afternoon when I was driving home, I was trying to find a good station to play. The weather was nice, so my windows were down. I was flipping through my favorites, meanwhile trying to keep my hair tame from the gusts of wind rushing through my car. I usually try all the stations I know until I find a song I like, and even when I find a song, I go through my bookmarks just to see if there’s a better song. But then peace came. And so did a station with a song I knew. I just left the radio still and enjoyed the peace of the moment. I tried to enjoy the song, not dreading the end, but accepting it as it came. I heard the lyrics in a way I had never heard them before, and I appreciated them more. I let my hair fly with the wind’s every protest instead of trying to keep it tucked behind my ear.

Peace comes in ways that you cannot predict.

A song that completely describes what you are feeling.

A cool spring day that inspires you to take a picnic in the park.

A dark room with a little lamp that lets you read into the early hours of morning.

An hour of time that allows you to rest your eyes even if it can’t seem to grasp the amount of time you actually need.

Peace comes in unexpected ways.

And after we learn to acknowledge its presence in our lives, although its appearances are few and far between, we need to learn to accept its gift to us. It gives itself to us, no matter our schedule or our state of mind. It offers itself, and the least we can do is appreciate its sacrifice.

thatgirl99 said...
Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:18 am
I really like how you conveyed this peacefulness that can come over you at the most hectic and stressful of times.  This feeling is truly something that we should cherish.  

drewnowater This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:06 am
Thank you for your feedback. That is exactly what I was trying to make a point of!