The Unprovable Answer | Teen Ink

The Unprovable Answer

January 19, 2013
By Crossingmyfingers SILVER, Mounds View, Minnesota
Crossingmyfingers SILVER, Mounds View, Minnesota
9 articles 6 photos 11 comments

As a collective species, humans have an intrinsic quality that allows us to rule over the earth, analyze its contents, and create new inventions. Theorists claim we have a "soul," and for whatever reason, we are the only creatures to have one. We look at the world and try to find all of its answers, seen and unseen–no other animal does that. However, underneath all of the metaphysical musings is a primal question: Where is the power? If we are the highest beings in our sphere of influence, then to solidify our power, we have to either confirm that no stronger entity exists or accept the reign of a higher sovereign. Our desire to control allows us to settle for nothing less. 

From a young age, we are told to ask the question "why." The basis of our growth is built on the premise that we are looking for the origins and motivation of everything. As mechanical creators and manipulative schemers, we have an artificial sense of control over most aspects of our world, so when we are faced with a hurricane or cancer, our emotions keep us from accepting the callous randomness of life. No god could possibly be cruel enough to let humans crawl in this squalor. Life is a power struggle, and when humans lose control, they automatically try to find who holds the power to ask for mercy.

I reconcile the world's bad twists with Newton's world machine; God set the earth into motion, but now He has to let it burn its own light out. I believe in the Christian god because of the people in my life. Those that I love in this world- the ones that support me, teach me, and connect with me are miracles. Free will is a double-edged sword, but humanity agrees on basic principles. Killing is bad. Rape is wrong. This united moral code does not derive from us, but from God because he created us in His likeness. He is not a passive god, but one that has faith in us so that we may have faith in Him.

Spinning around in space, this lovely blue planet has a bunch of unverified truths running around, knocking into each other, and punching each other out. I am a Christian; the girl in my art class is a Muslim; the boy I had a crush on is an atheist. The world is out of our hands, and religion is our way to make it seem more manageable. People will reach their own conclusion about whether a god exists, but they cannot reach that conclusion on solid, provable science alone. A gap will always exist between the seen and the unseen, but that is why we have that tenacious thing called faith.