“Christmas is in danger!” said every Christmas movie ever | Teen Ink

“Christmas is in danger!” said every Christmas movie ever

December 8, 2012
By UnicornGirl SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas
UnicornGirl SILVER, Corpus Christi, Texas
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son so that whoever believed in Him would not die but have eternal life." ~ John 3:16.


I’m so sick of this recurring theme with all these Christmas movies. “Oh no, Santa is down! You need to save Christmas!” I literally can’t think of any better interpretation. Apparently, according to all these movies, when you don’t get that one little present in your stocking that one day in the year “Christmas isn’t coming!”
Seriously? Seriously?! Is the world actually that lost in consumerism that without Santa Claus Christmas is nothing and your life is over? Christmas is so much more than that. You still have the parade, the presents under the tree from your family, the movies, the music, the Christmas dinner, and some people even have relatives over for that.
Furthermore, time doesn’t simply just stop or skip over Christmas. Christmas still comes, whether you like it or not. And if you think it’s over without your stocking stuffed, you are probably a very closed-minded person. So you can’t tell me that Christmas is over without Santa.
Besides, that’s not even what Christmas is about. If you read carefully, you would understand that Christmas literally means “mass of Christ.” It’s about the birth of Jesus Christ. You know, the savior of the world? There are two sides to Christmas: Jesus’ birthday and the consumerism that so many people have created.
Let’s start with Jesus’ birthday. I don’t care if you believe in Him or not- well, actually I do, but I don’t want to offend anybody –but for many religions, this is why the holiday was created. Jesus was born in Bethlehem over 2,000 years ago. Yet it’s still worth celebrating because of what He did for you.
Now for the consumerism part. Christmas is a pretty big deal. The world threw in the consumerism and gift-giving and jolly old St. Nick because they couldn’t face the true reason for the season. They did it for the non-believers and for those who just want presents for themselves. There were so many people celebrating already, so why not let everyone join in? The world created so many different things to do to celebrate Christmas: gift-giving, hall decking, stockings, ect., that people created their own kind of Christmas.
Jesus was forgotten under all this. Sadly, there are tons of people out there who celebrate Christmas yet don’t even know the reason behind it. Tons of Christmas movies won’t help them learn the meaning, either. Most just say Christmas is all about “being with family” or “giving to others.” No, that’s the Christmas the world created.
So now, people have had the choice of celebrating the Christmas the world created or the Christmas God created. Some people celebrate a little bit of both, and that’s fine as long as they know the true meaning of Christmas. But know that Jesus is there for you 365 days a year, not one.
So, which Christmas is over when Santa doesn’t come? God’s? Or yours?


The author's comments:
I felt like when I watched Christmas movies that I kept seeing the same thing over and over again. I hope people will understand the real meaning of Christmas from this. I want to get this through people's heads. After all, you can't say Christmas without saying Christ.