Praise Him in the Storm | Teen Ink

Praise Him in the Storm

By Lindsay Rossum GOLD, Annandale, Virginia
Lindsay Rossum GOLD, Annandale, Virginia

"Without suffering, there would be no compassion." This is one of my favorite quotes from the movie A Walk to Remember. In hardship, many find it easier to give up, run away, to turn their back on faith. I for one, see so much of God's love and faithfulness in the trials of our lives. My life-threatening eating disorder... led me to know Christ for the first time. Potentially fatal car accident... learned about patience and taking nothing for granted. It's not about praising Him when everything is going perfectly, but drawing closer in the times of struggle and hardship as well. It is then when we can truly feel God's love and protection, and can fully surrender to His will. I've learned so much more about how God's working in my life from the hard times than when everything is going smoothly.

We are called to look to God for strength in times of extreme weakness. We are only human capable of sin after sin, but we have been forgiven and through Jesus we were given a direct way to connect to God personally. Isaiah 40:31 states: "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." So many times in life, we aren't able to succeed on our own. Every test, fight, worry, I give to God. It's only in investing and trusting in the Creator that will get us to where we're supposed to be.

God is always more present to me when I seek Him and try to find Him in every situation. There's always a purpose behind whatever God throws our way. Psalm 18:30 says "As for God, His way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him." He draws near to us and makes his intentions knows when we seek him, even in the tough times. Sometimes God is leading us to another direction and other times it'll never be clear. But what I do know is that God has incredible plans for our lives and we just have to learn how to delight in the present and the truth that he is our Lord, greatly to be praised, in whatever circumstance.

I was inspired by the book Plan B: What to Do When God Doesn't Show Up in the Way You Expected by Pete Wilson. Incredible book about God's faithfulness even in the trials. I've been thinking and praying a lot about this topic lately, and God led me to write this piece.