I Once Asked A Question

I once asked the question “Wouldn’t it be better to believe in God and have Him not exist and have nothing to lose than to denounce, blaspheme against, and not believe in a God, who it turns out, does exist and end up spending your eternal life in damnation?” Well, one guy said to me, “You would lose something believing in a God if He doesn’t exist, you would spend your life worshiping, praising, and following Him, and you wouldn’t experience any of the fun the world has to offer.” Well, if that is true and you do spend your life following God, then you have spent your life loving, being kind and good-natured. You have done good towards others and have probably come to be respected and treated well. Your heart is pure.
The world’s idea of fun, society’s idea of a good time, mainly involves drugs, alcohol, money power and sex. Sure, those are the pleasures of life, worldly pleasures. But how long will the high that alcohol and drugs give you last? What good will all the money and power do after you’ve gone? What will the world benefit from that life? Everyone wants to make their mark on the world. Everyone wants to be remembered and noticed. But what do you want to be remembered for? Starting a school in a third world country where children are educated and can live better lives? Or leaving behind a trail of broken hearted girls who only wanted love? What about in your death? Would you choose a peaceful death, surrounded by your family or would you rather over-dose because of your drug addictions?
Now, I’m not saying that the world can’t offer anything good, but when you don’t lead a life of set morals and values then you have no structure, no balance, no definition of right and wrong. Christianity offers that balance, that structure. It offers friendship and love and so much more than societal pleasures can. It offers eternal life with an abundance of joy, happiness and peace. If leading a good and pure life, surrounded by people you love is wasting it, I am guilty of throwing it away. And so are countless others. If having a good time and not wasting your life means going to parties, getting drunk, getting the money and power and throwing away my purity, I am glad that my perception of life is skewed. I would rather “waste” my life than “live” it.

Sylvia said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 9:00 am
Well done for writing this article! It's reasonable, articulate and very insightful. Have you ever studied Pascal? He created a decision matrix based on the very choice you are talking about - I think you'd find it encouraging :^)

Taphephobia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 6:03 am
I really like this article. It's very well-written, has a clear message, and has a good message. Definitely five stars.

YwhsGurl replied...
Thanks! Yeah I love writing articles like this, I like expressing who I am and what i believe