God: Too Metaphysical for Me | Teen Ink

God: Too Metaphysical for Me

December 26, 2011
By Anonymous

As a child, I went to church every Sunday, went to Sunday School, and believed everything they told me about God. When my brother was in the hospital, I remember praying for him, and when my dog died, I knew that God would take good care of him up in heaven.I'm past all of that now.

In my opinion, similar to the myths, people have created religions to explain things that they cannot control. Therefore, it is obvious to me, anyway, that there is no such thing as a god, Christian, Greek, Buddhist, anything. Before you devout worshippers out there click the "back" button on your computer, allow me to make my case.

I started to doubt that God was perfect in second grade. I remember once I asked my mom how He knew the right time to give people babies. She replied that she didn't know, and that sometimes He made mistakes. That puzzled me. How could the maker of the universe be imperfect?

In the years that followed, I noticed dozens of other reasons not to believe in God, especially as I delved further into science. People say that God created one essential thing every day for six days, then rested. I think that that is very naive, and people should start listening to the facts, not the legends. The Big Bang Theory and Darwin's Theory of Evolution completely disprove this idea. If we find evidence of evolution and extinct beings, should those just be swept off the table because "they missed the Ark" or "God didn't want it that way"? I don't think so. We people evolved from bacteria, which grew from volcanic gases, and we owe nothing to God for putting anyone in some garden. Please, people, listen to sense.

I am not going to state all of my points (you probably get the idea), but instead turn to another controversial point: God and the social world. One year in school, everyone in my class had to recite the Pledge of Allegiance individually because our teacher thought we were sloppy saying it. Many people in my class tried to skip over the "God" part, saying they didn't believe in Him. Our teacher understood and let them skip over it. In the days that followed, I noticed that she skipped over "God" too. I'm in the same habit today.

I know that many people will be furious about this article, and that is okay. I hope that you will stick up for what you believe in, no matter what others say.