Faith or an Excuse? | Teen Ink

Faith or an Excuse?

By Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other
Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other

Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, nothing else ever has. ~Margaret Mead

One of the most thought-provoking questions I've ever heard is: Is religion real, or pyschological?

Do we believe in what our faith tells us to believe in because we know in our heart of hearts that it is true, or do we believe because we have an emotional need to belong to some community?

Is all of it-- the spiritual leaders we put our faith in, the laws we follow in a way so pristine,-- just because we're not brave enough to face a world with no higher calling?
Sometimes, it feels as though religion is an excuse, a way to create happiness in an otherwise dark world.

Well, what's so wrong about that? Even if it is all a ruse, even if there is no truth whatsoever in our books, it has taught the world an unsurpassable amount of good, beginning with "thou shalt not kill."

Religion has given millions and millions of people structure in life, it has taught truly amazing and timeless values to every generation and it has brought life and hope to all those who hang onto it.

Religion--most religions-- is a faith, a strong belief in the basic goodness of the world and the laws by which we can abide in order to live meaningful lives.

Religion, in my opinion, is the greatest beacon of life ever given to the world.

Religion is truly a gift to the world.

on Jan. 5 2012 at 11:28 am
A_Fate_Unknown BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington

Those who make peacefull revolution impossible, Will make violent Revolution inevitable.

Religion is a poison. It is the only thing you need to make good men do evil things.

on Jan. 5 2012 at 5:46 am
Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other

But think about religion from a historical standpoint; before religion, people didn't know what was good and what was bad. Why do you know that killing is wrong? because religion--the bible--said it. yes, it's brought some bad into the world, by people who have used religion as a justification for murder (which it should not be) but i think it's also brought lots of good

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

I believe mainly in the psychological reason. Not to say that I don't think it's possible for there to be a god, but people follow it for emotional reasons. Personally, whether I believe in a god or not doesn't make me any happier. Tried and tried again but it just doesn't satisfy me. It doesn't make me a better person because I do good things whether a god exists or not. I wouldn't change if he did. A god isn't my reason to do good; everything on Earth is my reason. And I don't really believe that religion is a belief in goodness, it is mainly about a higher power setting the rules for what goodness is and how that power will punish us. And religion is not a beacon of light to all. For some it blinds them, and for others they are persecuted because of it. So many people have been wrongly killed just for the sake of religion.