You Can Just Be You: An Atheist’s View on Atheism | Teen Ink

You Can Just Be You: An Atheist’s View on Atheism

By aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

I realize that many people will see the title of this article and pass right over it. I realize that because of the title, plenty of people will be offended. But I’ve realized many things over the course of time, one of them being that I don’t care what others think of me. I’m an atheist, and proud of it. I’m not going to hide behind a facade because I don’t want to be ridiculed. So many people have told me I’m going to hell, and that I will be saved. I’ve been told that I’m not wanted. But I’ve learned to put it all behind me, because being an atheist isn’t something to be ashamed of. That’s why I’m putting this out there to all atheists.

1.6% of Americans in 2011 were atheist. This is not many people. All the same, I encourage others to not be fazed by this. Unfortunately, many are. I’m not exactly sure why, but for the majority, the opinions of other people matter more than their own. If someone tells you that they don’t like you because of what you believe, you have every right to call them illogical. I say this because there would be no logic in that statement. Does what you wear make up your whole identity? What about the color of your skin? The answer to both those questions is no. The same goes for your belief. It doesn’t matter if you are atheist, Christian, or Wiccan. No matter what you are, your beliefs don’t define you. Let no one tell you otherwise.

Sadly, many people will think that this is someone trying to force atheism down their throats. It’s quite the opposite. I want no part in shoving beliefs upon others. I used to. I used to tell everyone that I was right, and I didn’t want to hear otherwise. After years of this, I slowly came to the realization that I was completely incorrect in my way of thinking. I wasn’t incorrect in my beliefs, but I was wrong to push what I believed in on others. They never wanted that. They didn’t want to be told that what they thought was in error. In truth, none of us know what is true and what isn’t. So none of us should be forcing our personal opinions upon others.

There are some very interesting stereotypes out there about atheists. Apparently, we hate religion, have no morals, have all had bad experiences with some sort of higher power, are selfish… The list goes on and on. All beliefs have stereotypes about them. Some are exceptionally ridiculous. For reasons unknown to me, the ones about atheism are especially incredible. None of them are true, but when I mention that I’m an atheist, people ask me why I feel obligated to be moral. I answer that I always try to do the right thing, always have, and always will. I inform them of the falsities that have been spread. One of the more major ones is that atheism is, indeed, a religion. The definition of religion is “the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.” The definition of atheism is, “the theory or belief that a higher power or supernatural being does not exist.” Clearly, from the two definitions, it is impossible for atheism to be a religion. Clearing stereotypes up does good for everyone, as I have learned through experience.
Atheistic beliefs may offend some, but I don’t want them to. What you believe in should be a personal thing, not something you feel the need to defend or enforce every time it comes up. Beliefs don’t have to matter. You can just be… You.

I agree, it does affect how you live your life. However, just because it affects the way you live does not mean it defines you. For example, would you say that since some people are handicapped, and their handicaps affect the way they live, their handicaps define who they are? I don't think that anyone would say that. The same goes for beliefs and religions.

VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

I know that you probably aren't too excited finding out your first reply was from a Christian telling you something in your article was wrong, but besides the fact that I believe the opposite of what you believe, you are definitely wrong about one thing that I'm at least hoping most will agree with me on. What you believe does in fact define you. Because what you believe effects how you live your life.