Faith in an Atheism | Teen Ink

Faith in an Atheism

August 6, 2011
By Anonymous

People often assume that atheists are missing something. I believe it is them who are missing something, and that those people are deeply mistaken. I do have faith. I have faith in humanity. I have faith in nature. I have faith in the good of people.

Have you ever stopped, and taken a long, hard look at the glorious World that surrounds us? A World with love, a World with colour, a World with music and laughter. I do not believe that any higher being is responsible for this. I believe that us, as one united Planet are responsible. Surly our World is magnificent enough, without having to think that there is some magical land that awaits us?

I am not here to judge others beliefs. By all means, belief what ever you want. It is your right to. As it is mine. I simply do not believe in God. I believe in things that I can see. I do not see the need for the blind belief of something else.

No one will ever truly know if there is a God or not, that is, until one dies. I believe that when you die, that’s it. There’s no heaven. There’s no angels. There’s nothing. Some may argue that this is a depressing thought. I however, see it as an inspirational one. This inspires me to do all that I can in my life, and to live every day as if it’s my last. Because, you never really know which day will be.

Indeed, religion does inspire people. It inspires people to help others, and treat others with respect, in the act of God. I ask, shouldn’t we be doing this anyway? Surly, if you show another love or compassion, you’re doing it because you believe you’re a good person? Not because God made you that way.

In short, my life has no higher being in it. While some believe in God, and the rules in which he has given us, I believe that you have to take responsibility for your own life, and live it the fullest. I am not cynical. I am not trying to rebel against anything. And I do have faith. I have faith in humanity. I have faith in the good of people. I have faith you can make this World a better place, simply by showing kindness and compassion. I believe in a lot of things, but God is not one of them.