Take it seriously? Heck yes. | Teen Ink

Take it seriously? Heck yes.

By Saved_By_Grace SILVER, Shoreline, Washington
Saved_By_Grace SILVER, Shoreline, Washington

"I love book signings: kids waiting in line for you to scribble on their new books; ha ha!"
~Brian Jacques

About a week ago, I had a discussion with a friend of mine. The discussion, about how I completely and fundamentally disagree with the homosexual choice, turned into an argument about whether or not the Bible was meant to be taken literally.

At the time of this discussion, I was a bit flabbergasted. Not take the Bible literally? Why on earth would I do that? I just didn't understand my friend's challenge.

I kept on thinking about that question all day long and did some research. I also thought about this: if my dad had told me to not walk out onto the middle of the freeway because I'd get hit by a car, it would be completely reasonable of me to say, "Yes, dad, I won't do that." What if, however, I chose to say, "Why dad, what a lovely story! I'll have to remember that story to tell to my intellectual friends," and promptly went to the freeway and got run over? This is a strange illustration, I know, but it makes a point: why, if we believe in God at ALL, would we disregard any word he says and only say, "what a nice story"?

The Bible, if you read it, is not one long morality tale, as my friend claims. When Jesus came to earth, he did not give people a long list of rules to follow to be moral. See, there's a big problem with religion. Strange as it may sound, Jesus hated religion. He wanted to have a real relationship with humanity, not a religious bartering system: "God, I'll do such-and-such for you if you give me this thing I desire. Amen." I hardly have to ask if there was love in that prayer.

This is the problem with religion that Jesus has. Anybody can do good things, but what does that have to do with their relationship with God? Religion makes living a good life become a checklist, allowing us to forget about how humanity needs help and love. If God created us, our priority in life should be getting to know him. Instead, though, we all make this one mistake: we try to do enough good, nice stuff that we think we're good enough that we don't need God to help us. Contrary to what lots of people say, the Bible doesn't say that every "good" person goes to heaven. In fact, the Bible even says that NO person is "good"! This blows morality out of the water. What does morality mean if we use it as a way to ignore a loving God who wants to get to know us?

According to the Bible, God wants a real relationship, not a moral life. This isn't to say that we should spend our time being as immoral as we possibly can, but God cares about knowing us more than about whether or not we filled out that moral checklist of things to do.

What does this have to do with taking the Bible literally versus it being a nice fairy tale? Everything. If the Bible is in any way true, which I fully believe, then God exists and wants to know us. If we are his children, why would we ignore any of the things he says to us? Would we ignore his warnings? Ignore his love?

The Bible is written to be more than a morality tale. If any one word in it is true, then so is the rest. I believe the Bible is without error, so I can't try to live my life in defiance of that truth.

Do I take the Bible seriously? Heck yes.

This is just a little something about why my life is supposed to always reflect what God says in the Bible. If I try to compartmentalize my "Christian" life and my "other" life, then I'm being not only deceitful to the people around me, but I'm trying to double-cross God.

Needless to say, I think that's a bad idea...

(Not to say that I don't mess up, either. Trust me, I do.)

on Jun. 9 2011 at 9:40 am
SATAN4LIFE BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

"FRIDAY, FRIDAY, GOTTA GET DOWN ON FRIDAY" - Rebecca Black

He was kidding, we're sitting right next to each other.

Sythan BRONZE said...
Sythan BRONZE, Livermore, California

"Do not fear to blister if you live a life in flame"

If you typed properly, I might be inclined to pay more attention.

Sythan BRONZE said...
Sythan BRONZE, Livermore, California

If you believe Homosexuality is a choice, you need to put down the Bible and start reading about Genetics and Science.

on Jun. 8 2011 at 8:10 am
SATAN4LIFE BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

Psalm 137:9 is my favorite from this literal text!

on Jun. 8 2011 at 1:32 am
Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota

There is a rainbow in your mouth! Open it up and show the world.
This is just like ice cream without the cream.
I'm as stiff as a dried out twig in the middle of winter.
Who lit the forest fire; the match, or the man holding the match?

Okay, opinion respected.

Lintu said...
What I'm saying is that this specific piece seems rather unappealing since it's just one bible-thumping justification for prejudice. That's just my opinion.

~Brian Jacques

@Lintu,

Just to clarify: are you thinking that, by saying that I disagree with the homosexual choice, that I am prolonging a hateful prejudice? (I'm not sure what "hateful prejudice" you're talking about). If that's what you're understanding from me, that makes me sad, because all I am trying to say is I disagree with it. I think I am entitled to say that, though the people who practice homosexuality might be wonderful, lovely people, I do not have to agree with their choices/actions.

Beautiful is a word to describe one's perspective on an object.

Using your reasoning, we might as well call the Bible a hate letter!

Lintu said...
Not exactly beautiful if its used to justify a hateful prejudice. Which it is.

Beautiful.