Evolution in Schools

America was founded on Christian principles. Just generations ago Biblical ideas were being taught in schools. Although we are known as a Christian country, religious ideas in public places are frowned upon or replaced. Now, scientific theories- evolution and the big bang- are being taught as fact to students across the nation. This is a growing problem because evolution is not a fact, only a weak theory based on misinterpreted evidence.

There are two types of evolution being taught. One type, also known as natural selection or species adaptation, is when specific changes occur in one species. According to Roger Patterson, author of Evolution Exposed, natural selection is how a species changes, or evolves, in short periods of time. For example, one breed of dog evolved slightly to create the many different breeds of dogs we have now. This makes sense. Why? All dogs are similar to each other. You could say the same for birds, fish, cats, or any other animal. However, the theory of evolution says every living thing on the earth- plants, humans, animals and microscopic organisms- originated from only one organism. This is unrealistic. Natural selection can be tested and observed. On the other hand, the theory of evolution should not be taught as logical, evident factual information because it has not been scientifically proven as most of the non-Christian scientific world would tell you.

Along with evolution, a theory for the origin of life, we have the Big Bang Theory, a theory for the origin of our universe. According to Dr. Jason Lisle, author of The Ultimate Proof of Creation, the Big Bang is a “rapid expansion of space and energy from a single infinitesimally small point, energy cooled and became matter, which condensed into stars and galaxies.” A simple explanation? Nothing expanded and then exploded creating the universe. This theory is contradictory to the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, which we are taught in physics. The law states that matter and energy cannot be created or destroyed, they are constant. School textbooks teach us the Big Bang really happened, but how could it have happened? The same textbooks say that matter and energy cannot be created. How can nothing form something? It can’t.

However, the creation of our universe can make sense if though about differently. “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth.” An infinite and holy being, like the Christian God, would be able to create matter and energy because He has the power to do so. As a student, why am I learning theories only to find out they are proven false chapters later in my textbook?

One thing that must be understood is that evolution is a historical theory- an explanation of past events based on the interpretation of evidence that is available in the present. The theory of evolution can not be tested or observed, but many scientists believe we can still understand how it happened. Biblical creation is also a historical theory- you cannot conduct scientific experiments to prove whether it is true or false. For science to be fact it has to be proven true using observations and experiments. As evolution cannot be observed or experimented on, It can never be deemed true. Evolution should be taught as a theory, not fact. False interpretations of the so-called evidence for the theory of evolution, even though commonly being “discovered” by the scientific world, rarely if ever, make it to the classrooms since schools use the same textbooks for many years.

Evolution uses the same evidence for its “truth” as creation does. The argument comes down to the interpretation of the evidence. The same facts that support evolution can support creation. We all have the same earth, same animals, same rocks, and same plants. Consider fossil bearing rock layers. A creationist would say it’s a result of the Genesis flood, whereas an evolutionist would say the area used to be a river and it eroded over millions of years. It’s the same evidence, but interpreted differently.

Evolution is a popular origins theory that is taught to students all over the country. It hasn’t been proven nor can it be. It is a view of the world’s creation. Just like I can’t force my views of creation on you, I shouldn’t have theories I don’t believe in taught to be in the classroom as if they were absolutes.

Works Cited
Boehler, Joey. “Institute of Apologetics”. Awake and Alive Youth Group. Grace Chapel
Christian Union, Wapakoneta, Ohio. 21 June, 2009.

Ham, Ken, ed. The New Answers Book 2. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2008. Print.

Lisle, Jason. Ultimate Proof of Creation. Green Forest, Arkansas: Master Books, 2009. Print.

New International Version. Zondervan, ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan, 2000. Print.

Patterson, Roger. Evolution Exposed. Hebron, Kentucky: Answers in Genesis, 2007. Print.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2011 at 10:25 am
Although that I believe in creationism, I think that neither should be taught as fact in schools.  If this really was a Christian nation, then it would be awesome for Christian beliefs of the origin of the world to be taught as fact.  However, it's not, and since many many people do believe in evolution, and since both creationisma and evolution are both scientific theories, I think they should both be taught as such in schools.  And everyone can choose which to believe in.  ... (more »)

Dreamboat replied...

I am sorry but a theory is the highest standing an idea can have, gravity and cells, are still theories. This is from the National Academy of Sciene,

"Some scientific explanations are so well established that no new evidence is likely to alter them. The explanation becomes a scientific theory. In everyday language a theory means a hunch or speculation. Not so in science. In science, the word theory refers to a comprehensive explanation of an important feature of nature supported by fac... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Are you proposing, then, that neither evolutionism nor creationsim be taught as solid fact?

Sydney B. replied...
I'm saying either neither should be taught or both should be taught. If not already evident, I am a Creationist. 

Dreamboat replied...
Why sould a theory (evolution) be tought on the same level and with the same attention as the story of creationism?

tikapeek97 replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 9:40 am
I agree with Sydney B. 100% At my school they only teach evolution and I am a creationist. I believe in God and that he created the world and everything in it. I think they should eather teach both or none.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 10:24 am

Aha! Either both or neither! A decent compromise.

As to the comment by Dreamboat: because the story of creationism would only hold true for the religious people. These are public schools we are considering, where the separation of church and state must be kept in mind. I say, then, teach both!

Dreamboat replied...
Aug. 24, 2011 at 10:56 am
If you would like to respect the seperation between church and state, then you cant teach creationism in schools. A more fair system would be to have classes on religion, such as are present in religous schools.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I think the issue here is that most of these people are advocating that we teach Judeo-Christian-Islamic creationism in schools. To truly separate church and state, one would have to teach every form of creationism/every creation myth ever. If one could be true, we must give the same respect to all. Perhaps, to those of you who say that evolution has little proof, it is because evolution is the only major non-religious theory there is that it is the idea taught in schools.

Dreamboat replied...
It would be funny to see science classes turn into History lessions.