The True God.

I close my eyes slowly; the velvet softness of sleep slowly enveloping me with blankets of dreams, and soon I’m walking up a staircase, being led by a man who looks like an awkward mix between a brooding teenage boy and a business man. Soon we reach a door, which I open without much hesitation. Inside of the room it is bright, a white light bouncing off of the white walls, and at the far end of the room is a figure draped in a black lace veil.
“Come, sit.” Says the figure.
I sit. The figure talks some more, and I interrupt it to say “Excuse me, are you by any chance God?”
I see a faint smile underneath the lace veil, and the figure replies “Maybe I am.”
Suddenly I’m lying back in my bed, light pouring through my open window and my cat howling at my door, begging me to feed him.
I would like you people to know that I proclaim myself Atheist in front of my friends (being a rebellious teenager and all), but I really just detest religion. I myself think there is something out there, maybe some guy sitting in the sky or maybe a man sitting on top of a big mountain surrounded by his illegitimate children. I don’t know, I wasn’t at the Last Supper, my invitation came too late and the RSVP date had already passed. But as I said, I dislike religion; it goes against everything I stand for. I’ve had people tell me I’m going to hell because of the way I look. I’ve had people tell me I was a terrible person because I didn’t think Jesus was the son of God. I don’t have a problem with God; I was a problem with the people who think they know him. Those people are the reason people are afraid, and scared. People are willing to kill others because they think they know God, when really does anyone?
Let’s face it, the Bible, Torah, whatever Holy Book, scripture, or carving you can think up, was written by a human. People are constantly finding lost parts of the Bible, like the story of Lilith. And even if God told the scribes years and years ago what he wanted to be in His Bible, they could have changed it to fit their own needs. I think that all people are inherently good, but have both the ability to do good and evil. It’s human nature to be lustful, greedy, and selfish; it’s what kept alive so long ago. But to hate someone because of a book that was written by humans? I think it isn’t right.
I do believe in a ‘God’ so to speak. I don’t know if it’s a he or a she or an inanimate object just hanging out in space somewhere, and it’s not my place to know. I think we all can find out own God in our own personal ways, and we don’t have to hate each other or kill each other over it.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That was actually pretty good. I do agree that organised religion can (and often does) lead to indoctrination, but I also think that it leads to unity, a sense of brotherhood, laws, and social activism.

Also, haha at the Last Supper thing. That was funny.

Also, the Qur'an wasn't written by a human. Just sayin'. :P 

Lynzgae replied...
i'm pretttttttty sure it was.

Lilly said...

Lol, that was funny - "never got my invitation for the last supper"

totally agree, nice article fellow athiest;)

Lynzgae replied...
i prefer 'procrastinationism' i'll figure it out later haha :)

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 9, 2011 at 11:29 am
Well, I can face that the Bible was written by humans.  It was.  However, I do believe that all of those words were inspired by God, or "God-breathed."  I really don't hate you or think you're a terrible person.  I don't.  I believe just about the opposite of you, but that doesn't mean I think you're awful.  The people that tell you so are wrong, and it's not our place to judge.  :)

Lynzgae replied...
i very much like you :)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You have a healthy and interesting opinion of God. I'm glad that you choose not to be completely indoctrinated by the church, for the church has its faults. You stick to your own beliefs, and that requires strength. I'd like to remind you, though, that organized religion has benefits as well as negatives. Anyway, well stated!

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
"Everyday people are leaving the Church and going back to God."

Lynzgae replied...
i like you as well hahha

May 14, 2011 at 9:34 am
Well, er, thank you.

Lynzgae replied...
you're welcome :3