The Science of Religion and Lack Thereof

By , St. Louis, MO
In god we trust, such irony. I mean he’s never actually told us anything to believe in.
For millions of years humans have turned for inspiration from the heavens about every little problem they couldn't explain, thinking up the most logical conclusion they could 'imagine'.

But who knew these ideas would grow like a cancer, become so ingrained in our culture that soon they were the only things that mattered in people’s lives, so real that not believing in them would be heresy.

But don't come burn me at the stake, I’m not saying god isn’t real. He could be real, there are still many things we don't know, but why let old beliefs hinder us in the quest for knowledge, the scientific pursuit of truth?

Science is meant to verify what is true; leave people with no doubt about what is real, explore ideas we do not yet know in an attempt to understand them.

Evolution, was once one of those ideas, a ruff concept that animals evolve through mutations, passing down their genetics alleles over the course of millions of years by survival of the fittest and sexual selection. But even though now it is a proven theory, a theory just as solid as the theory that the earth revolves around the sun, people still deny it in favor of their old religions.

We can’t see evolution happening, they claim, we'll we can, whether it is in the way that viruses resiliently adapt against the newest vaccine, or the way dogs have been groomed from their wild cousins into the tranquil family dog. Show us the proof, they ask, well we would if they would only open their eyes, we can study sequences of Deoxyribo Nucleic Acid and determine the lineage of any creature, sometimes the origins are even clear in their phenotype, like the leg joints of a snake, and the hipbone of a whale, the laughter of an ape.

So I’m not telling you to forsake your belief in god, every person is entitle to their own belief, all I'm asking is that you set aside what you have been told momentarily, and grasp the knew knowledge of our modern era and benefit society in its quest for sustainability.

mickey_shelle said...
Thanks for not shoving your ideas rudely down my throat. It's quite irritating when people do that. But, I do not deny evolution in favor of my old religion. I deny it in favor of my old faith and the knowledge that my faith is right. If I am really so blind, why do I have no fear when I walk in the very shadow of death? Why do have peace in times of trouble? Why do I feel comfort when I seem to be alone?

MatieKae said...
You make a good point, I believe in God and all that and I hate it when people are close minded and don't even think about Scientific proof. I think it's possible to believe in a combination of scientific proof and things your religion tell you

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
while evolution is a proven theory, so is creationism.  I believe in God.  Go ahead and study deoxyriboneucleaic acid.  And tell me how something that complex could just happen.  BANG!  Life.  wow.

AaronLawrence replied...
Woaah, evolution doesn't neccasarily contradict creationism, but creationism is not proven in ANY sort of scientific way.  DNA was not a simple matter of bang.  Evolution and embioysis took four billion years to create us into what we are now.  God took six days.  Now you tell me which one was the 'bang'.   

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 11:34 am
I revise what I said. Creationism does have proof. You just have to be willing to see it. If you're keeping yoyr eyes closed, you'll never be able to see.things in a different way. I am willing to look at things from the evolutionist's POV. But each time, I just find myself thinking things are better explained by evolution. I wad ranting a.little when I made my earlier comment. Do you believe in the fossil record? Because there is no one place on earth that actually has all those layers.... (more »)