Silence speaks louder than words | Teen Ink

Silence speaks louder than words

By Emily Atkins BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Emily Atkins BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

My church family and friends define interp as acting out a song with great meaning accompanied by dancing. We let our emotions and the lyrics of the song affect the audience, while we stay quiet. This team does not perform songs and moves that are light and meaningless. The goal of each performace is to let God speak to the audience's hearts through us. "If you boast, boast in God." Our Interp group does not take credit for how our performances may affect individuals, it is done entirely by our Heavenly Father. The song "Everything" by Lifehouse is displayed numerous times on Youtube with the Interp skit, that may or may not be better than our performance. However, personally I know that I am taking the difficulties faced by many teenagers to heart and trying to relate to them through the performance. Even though I have not faceds acts of sucide, cutting, drinking, or greed, I know many people who have unfourtnatley delt with them. These topics may seem extreme to perform at church, but one of our focuses as a youth group is to face these serious problems head on. Just as these topics are difficult to think about, the young actors, ages 12-18, take on these personas and represent them to the best of their ability. Even though this skit last only five minutes, it has produced tear-jerking results in the past. Many times in our walks with Christ, Satan trys to pull us away from God, and at this point it becomes a battle within ourselves. The "Everything" skit portrays this struggle and eventually how God triumphs over the enemy-Satan.

My inspiration for this piece of work came from an upcoming performace of this skit. It has been a long time coming with much tought on my part as to the hurting people in the world who need to lean on their creator. I hope that this piece will inspire young men and women to watch this skit and others and hopefully change what they are going through. This song and Interp brings me to tears everytime I watch it, only because my heart breaks for the pain some people go through. I hope it does the same to who ever sees this.