Prayer Ought to be in Schools This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Prayer has always been part of the culture of the United States of America, its people, and its foundation. George Washington himself was a devout Christian, as were most of the founding fathers. The hand of God directed the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. Christianity found its way into the very heart of our nation and remained the pulse of this country until 1962.

That year was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools. Ironically, the Supreme Court judges struck prayer from our nation's educational system in the same building where the Ten Commandments were hanging. They destroyed this part of our heritage, threw it away like a used scrap of paper, considered it useless in the present day. Yet, our president prays in the Oval Office.

Since 1962 young people in America have been in a downward spiral with nothing to catch them. They have nothing to cling to, no set of guiding morals, nothing to tell them the difference ­between right and wrong. Nothing to believe in; no ­foundation and no comfort for the agitated soul. Instead of upholding our Constitution, the Supreme Court ­destroyed it.

“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Patrick Henry, a founding father and signer of the Constitution. Our country was founded on Christianity. That Christianity ought not to be taken from us.

Indeed, James Madison, our fourth president, said: “Cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ.” He would never have approved of the 1962 ruling of the Supreme Court – in fact, he would have cursed it. If our founders were here today, they would be putting their feet down and changing the United States back to the way it should be. The Ten Commandments would be hung in schools, prayer would be reestablished in the schoolhouse, and our government's ways would be corrected.

John Hancock, the first signer of Declaration of Independence, said: “Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.” God guided the fathers to give us the right of prayer – prayer in schools, prayer in public, and prayer everywhere. We have instead succumbed to the broken ways of the world and obliterated the words of not only our founders but God as well.

With God – the Creator of the universe, Savior of sinners, the Prince of Peace, the Shepherd of all mankind – I will uphold John Hancock's words and “nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us”!

TerraAnimusPatronus said...
I believe in compromise so why cant we have a moment of scilence where you can pray to what ever god or gods you believe in or if you are nonspiritual you can just sit there i dont understand why we cant just do that everyone is happy then to have a better world we must all learn to live with each other and not fight about whatever religon you believe in and just love each other a human beings

TerraAnimusPatronus replied...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 2:11 pm :
sorry for misspellings

SomethingWitty replied...
May 29 at 12:33 pm :
I like the idea of everyone being able to express themselves without ridicule. I also like that you tried to solve the problem while being respectful, but I don't think that would work. A lot of kids struggle with their religion, especially in a place where most everyone believes in the same religion. When I was struggling with my religion I tried to force myself to belive what I was saying and being taught and if I had to sit in silence while the other students prayed to the same god like t... (more »)

CyberLydii said...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:45 am:

With all due respect, I feel that you are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. I feel that religious people should be allowed to pray, but those who aren't shouldn't be forced to.

Muharib replied...
May 5, 2012 at 9:51 pm :
who ever said "everyone will be forced to pray"?

wi234 said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:06 am:
this is a total violation of seperation of church and state. being in a democracy means you can have whatever ideas you want.

Aislinn016 said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 11:29 am:
Our country was practically founded on freedom of religion! You should be able to believe what we want.That is why I don't stand for the pledge of allegiance anymore their (The government) Is making things Christian.I am a Christian kind of and I still DO NOT agree with you at all!

writinggurlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 8 at 9:34 am :
HOW!!!! Our country was founded on Christian fundementals! People fight over sees for our freedom. Saying the pledge is the least we can do to thank them!!!!!

SomethingWitty replied...
May 29 at 12:38 pm :
Bro, saying the pledge does nothing to thank our Bretheren at Arms. The pledge is a brainwashing tool. It's propaganda for small children that would belive the moon was made of cheese if you told them so. Think about it, it's literally called "The Pledge of Alligence."

Also, not once in the pledge does it mention our military men and women.

May 30 at 10:23 am :
Saying the pledge has everything to do with our men in women overseas believe me. This is the country you live in whether you like or not. The men and women who fight for our country say the pledge with pride. They give their lives for the freedom for you not to say the pledge. I say the pledge with utmost respect to the americans who were brave enough to fight this fight and continue to sacrifice their lives for ungrateful people who are given a choice of freedom of speech.

GodlyForce33 said...
You are all stupid who disagreed with this. Corruption is happening in our government and you all agree with it. Our government is changing to please everyone. It is based on Christianity and we should not change our religion for immigrants. Our money says "in God we trust" which is becoming more and more fake. All you critics better jump on the Christianity train or get out of the way because something big and powerful is going to happen by Jesus Christ and all the people in the government who ... (more »)

AHandfulOfDust replied...
Jan. 10, 2012 at 1:06 am :
Very kind, but keep your blessing for yourself. You might need it when your God wants an explanation for this lack of charity towards your fellow man. "Stupid" isn't a very nice thing to call other people.

CharleyLattaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 8 at 11:54 pm :
Unless you are a Native American (which if you go back far enough, still apply) everyone here is an immigrant.

Genya This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sorry, but our founding fathers were all for religious freedom, their audience was just too conservative to abolish prayer in schools. I like the article, but it's just kind of politically incorrect for me.

A_Fate_UnknownThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:33 am :
I hate the article. It is completley biased with no factual evidence. Sure our nation was based on Christianity, but that doesn't make it right. Freedom of religion was why many people came over here in the origenal thirteen colonies. You are free to practice your religion at home and in church. But Do not force it upon others. Go spread your curse somewhere else.

Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:34 am :
Go to a christian school if it bothers you that much.

bookthief This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece is well written and convincing... and yet I've got to disagree with it for both factual and personal reasons. First, anyone who refuses to allow you to pray (without disrupting the school) in school is probably violating the Constitution. And beyond that, the Founding Fathers are not the basis of all right in the world. If we were to abide purely by the Fathers' opinions, we would not only have forced Christianity but also slavery, no voting or any other rights for women or anyone who... (more »)

anna_banana said...
I feel that prayer should be allowed in schools. But not just Christian prayer. ALL prayer. I think, that if prayer would be in schools, everyone should have an opprotunty to pray for what they believe in. And honestly, if you don't want to pray, if you don't believe, don't participate in the prayer. 

theweirdworderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm :
You ARE allowed to pray in school. You just can't be FORCED to pray in school.

OurSTORY said...

First of all, your writing was amazing i have to say. the way you strung eveything together was nice. :)

But now i have to disagree with the points your making. People are always bringing the founding fathers beleifs into thiswhich i find ridiculous. NO matter what their personal beliefs were, they founded a country that stands for many freedoms, freedom of religion among those. They, Christian or not, founded a country who believes in seperation of state and religion. It... (more »)