WWJD? | Teen Ink

WWJD?

September 6, 2010
By LoriBird BRONZE, Bathurst, Other
LoriBird BRONZE, Bathurst, Other
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm seventeen and I'm Crazy."


WWJD?

Remember the (g)olden days when you prayed and went to church and worried when you did something wrong that God would strike you with lightning? No? If you were born into my generation, the x, you wouldn't remember such a thing. So, why have so many kids of the age of technology put something as huge as religion on the backburner? I couldn't really tell you. I'll just say that perhaps it falls into the category housing Ugg boots and fist pumps. Just maybe.

There are a lot of maybes, okay? Here's a few. Maybe we're smarter, maybe we're lazier, maybe we're rebels, maybe we're conformists, and maybe we're intelligently lazy rebellious conformists. Maybe we’re just too damn busy. Regardless of the answer, or whatever the reason you've dug into the atheist fad/belief, I'm going to give you my opinion.

I was spiritually troubled for a while, quite a long while actually, since a tall kid in my Sunday school class introduced me to the idea that I had a choice. I wanted to believe in the religion I was raised into but where were my forensic truths!? I searched for answers. Upon spending some time with a nun lady I came to a realization. Seeing the way her life was gladly dedicated to this greater belief that was bigger than anything she could ever really see or feel... well I knew I wanted to believe in something. When you believe in something it's always there, around you and it's sort of like being in love. If you aren't buying into the ‘Jesus saves’ routine (cause really, who's buying these days?), then you’re allowed to figure something out for yourself. This is provided you don't fall into the aforementioned 'maybe we’re lazier' idea. Follow? In a nutshell; having a belief is good for your soul, and it can be anything you want as long as you want it to be that. Here's a teeny taste of what I have laboriously come up with.

Lori-ism, (LO-ree-is-UM, proper noun,) apparently you're allowed to add 'ism' on the end of anything. Here’s how it goes: Free your mind of the big picture and focus on the individual moments that make up the happy stuff of life. Coming in close to Buddhism, except I had a hard time with some of the, eternal spirit/mortal soul thingys, cause I think reincarnation is a lovely thought, and Ouija tells me it's legit. Understanding how everything is connected is important too - think Pocahontas style. The Circle of Life. Do what makes you happy all the time, even if it means making a decision that will potentially hurt you in the long run. Life's not long enough to live in anything but the present. It’s also about morals and that word they make you learn as a preteen. Yeah, I mean INTEGRITY. But don’t take it all too seriously, because people, it’s supposed to be fun, like jello.

So this "religion" of mine may not be original or make sense or be recognized by the government. It may not have any special holidays or even supply a supreme being/god sort of dude, but I think it's cute and it gets me through the tough stuff, no joke. If you feel like looking into it, you can pick up the bible that goes with it at any bookstore. It's called 'Into the Wild.'

If you are happily seated in your own religion love car then power to you, enjoy the ride. However, if you are one of the kids hopping the atheism train, I hereby challenge you to a challenge of sorts. You in? Compile a list of things you think are real and true and make you happy, and give it a name. Now, look, it’s your very own religion and nobody and nothing has forced it upon you. Imagine that. It’s original, unique and nobody and nothing can take it away from you. A lifelong love if you will.

Church isn’t for everyone, but if you can believe in childbirth and a future after 2012, then you believe in life and living and you have the foundation of your belief. Build onto that like a beautiful skyscraper. Religion isn’t just crosses and rules and high-heeled shoes. It’s whoever you are and whatever you want it to be. And believe me, it’s worth wanting.


Ps all hail new ideas but please keep spaceships and cult bracelets out of it, eh?

The author's comments:
a light-hearted look at modern religion