No Prayer? | Teen Ink

No Prayer?

September 3, 2010
By ToyRe GOLD, Monterey, California
ToyRe GOLD, Monterey, California
12 articles 3 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This too shall pass." and " When God leads to a cliff, jump, because He'll either catch you or teach you how to fly."


If I can say,"I pledge allegiance..." Why can't I say,"Thank you, Jesus?" It is very strange how you can be forced to say a pledge to a piece of cloth, but you are not allowed to praise your God/god. It amazes me that in the pledge of Allegiance, it sayes that we are "..one nation under God..", but yet I cannot pray in a public high school in my city. It amazes me that on every American coin, it has 'In God we Trust' and every president that gets inaugurated must first put his hand on the Bible and yet I cannot say a prayer in a public school. America is amazing when it comes to religion. No matter what age I am, the constitution grants me freedom of religion, but then the law says I cannot express it. That makes no sense. I have rights and yet the law says that I really don't. I can go to church but I can't set up nativity scenes for it might offend my neighbor. In America I feel we are losing the right to be an individual, because technically the law says we can't. I am not speaking for those who feel stealing and murder and the like are a part of being an individual. I am speaking for those who want to express themselves in a positive way in public or who want to change their appearance to be diffrent or try to be religious in a dangerous world. All things are lawful, but not everything is right and my freedom to not have freedom of religion is not right.