Seriously?

I’m not into sports. I’m not interested in Future Farmers of America, or in Business Professionals of America. The only school club I’m in is Christians in Action. There is a teacher who stays in the room to make sure that we’re not doing anything we shouldn’t be, but she doesn’t participate because she’s not allowed. I feel like I can trust this group, and it’s a place I feel I can fit in. Now it might get taken away from me?

I don’t do a lot to stand out in my high school. I’m not very popular. I’m one of those girls who you never really notice. But I always participate in See You at the Pole, and we also meet at the flagpole for National Day of Prayer. Now this, my one chance of standing out, might be taken away from me?

When I pray in public, it is quiet and to myself. And even when I pray in a small group, I don’t make anyone join in. Yet by simply praying, I’m forcing my religion on people? And soon I’m not going to be able to do it?

No. No. No.

I’m not making anyone believe what I do. If you want to be Buddhist or Jewish or atheist, go ahead. I may think you are wrong, but I’m not going to hold it against you. I’m not going to stop you if you start practicing your belief in front of me. I’m not going to argue with you if you want to talk about it. If you wear a Yakama or Hijab, I’m not going to judge. But don’t stop me from being a Christian.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree. People sometimes become so obsessed with being PC that they forget to just let people do what they want. I understand why they would not have a specified moment of prayer in schools, I understand why they do not teach creationism, but I DO NOT understand why they insist on taking any group associated with Christianity out of schools. A Christian is not "shoving their religion down your throat" if they sit quietly and pray. Now, if said Christian was publicly trying to force you to join ... (more »)

Kelz1141 replied...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm :
I always hear that there is no chance to pray at school but that is why we have a moment of silence! Does no one else in the world have this at their school?

bound4life4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this sia amazing! my freinds nd i also participate in See you at The pole nd ill b praying 4 u=)

Stephanie D. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great. I feel exactly ow you feel. Religion is my only way to stand out. I admit that I can be kind of bad about arguing with people about my religion but i hate it when im just telling people about "something I did at church last week" and they think im trying to convert them. I can't pray at school because people would make fun of me and I can't write my persuasive letter assignment on something I believe.

momo01 said...
well I understand were your coming from. I have a similar club called bible club were Christians can come and fellowship, but we also open it to none believers hoping that they can see the light and answering any questions they may have. Were not "forcing religion on people" were just trying to invite them into our world.  We try to spread the word of our club by flayers, announcements, talking to ppl at lunch about it.  Although we have a few teachers that help us, I can understand ho... (more »)

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is very well said. People talk about "forcing religion down others' throats," but you're just trying to practice your own beliefs. I do disagree with trying to convert other people when they disagree with you, but it's fine to practice what you want to practice. Thanks for writing this!

MommaAngelCyns said...
Awesome Delaney! I am so proud of you!