Why I Believe

By , Hearne, TX
It seems to me that these days, people equate a belief in a deity with stupidness. It is implied that all the smart people do not believe in a God. In an interview, Richard Dawkins (a major proponent of atheism) said that if you believe in God you are ignorant or stupid. Is this true? Let's start with me. I have a GPA of 4.0, am taking an advanced math class, and am writing an article on Teen Ink. Am I stupid? Few would say that Isaac Newton is stupid, and he surely wasn't ignorant. Yet he believed in God, and even more he was inspired by him. The same goes for Johannes Kepler, Galileo, and many more. These people are all extremely smart, yet they believed in a God. Therefore, I do not believe that just because you have faith in a deity you are stupid; just as it is ridiculous to assume that all atheists are stupid for NOT believing. So why do I believe? If you were walking through the woods, and came across a pocket watch lying on the floor of the forest, what would you assume? I would assume that someone had dropped it, but would you be bold enough to say that it just came to be, and that it had no creator, no initial place of origin? Human beings are thousands of times more complex than the most complex watch. We have millions of neurons, more storage space than a computer, an engine that keeps us alive on something other than gasoline. Not only are we highly complex, but we are also living a perfectly designed house, made just for us! It is just the right distance from the sun, our moon is just the right distance away to influence the tides, we have layers of atmosphere, each designed to block a specific harmful radiation from the sun. And to say that all this happened by chance, would be more stupid than saying it happened by chance. And you know what? Even when I die, and find out that there IS no God, there will be no loss. I won't even have a chance to realize that I was taken in. Deceived. But if I die and DON'T believe in God; well, that's another story.

Persona said...
Huh. Well, I'm not sure where my other post went to. Maybe it was because it was too large. At any rate, I do have a response to you, but it hasn't showed up. I'll wait a couple of days. Maybe it didn't process because it was too large. I don't want to double-post it. Or, if you're interested in hearing what an atheist thinks who disagrees with you, but doesn't find you to be an idiot for believing, feel free to reply asking for my email.

Persona said...

Oh, and, as to Dawkins, here's my opinion of him as an agnostic atheist myself:

He's a fantastic promoter of the science of evolution. He is, however, a terrible promoter of atheism, and does not represent the non-religious at large. Most of us just want to be left alone by our governments and those who would discriminate against us. Most of us are non-theists, not anti-theists.

Persona said...

Mind talking with an atheist that doesn't think you're stupid, but finds your arguments flawed? If that's not fine, don't bother continuing. I find the argument of intelligent design a false one. Here is why:

The very idea of it is presumptuous. I already have knowledge that a watch has been designed and created. In fact, if I worked hard enough, I could probably find the person or at least the company that made it. I can't do that with god. There's no information, no telephone number,... (more »)

Midnight_Hum This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Well put, but I don't see how you can say that you believe that the world didn't happen by chance, yet not believe in a God.  I also find it interesting that EVERY culture in the world has a name for a deity, though all interpretations are variably different.  And how is believing in God an illogical assumption?  Though we may not have any visible markings (that say, "I belong to God") couldn't it be argued that our very existence is a cause for much higher intelligence? ... (more »)

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

In relation to the watch and finding the telephone number of the manufacturer---

I think that scriptures ARE the way that you can figure out what God was saying. That's sort of their point. 

Persona replied...
Most of your reply was already addressed in my original argument(that being, to begin with, you largely reiterated what the article had said). But, I will address what wasn't just reiteration on your part. You seem to not understand that the universe doesn't "need" anything. That, we should be more resilient to UV rays, Gamma rays, heat, and lack thereof. We HAVE adapted to these things. Simply because one adapts does not mean they suddenly mutate in such a way that they become invulnerable to h... (more »)

I don't think you're talking to me, but I'll reply anyway...

Then why is it that UV rays are harmful at all? If anything, they should be beneficial. Everything should be beneficial, because we should be adapted to take the most advantage of our resources. Life should not be "sheltering" itself from harm, so to speak -- there shouldn't be harm at all, because we are adaptations. 

PS: Could you use paragraphs? I mean this is the nicest way possible, but the huge blob is h... (more »)

Robster said...
Dude this is so true! Great job!