My Take on Gay Marriage | Teen Ink

My Take on Gay Marriage

May 2, 2010
By KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia
14 articles 0 photos 258 comments

Favorite Quote:
We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.


I have heard the United States referred to as the “melting pot” many times before. This metaphor represents that we have many different cultures in America, and that each culture can blend together to create a United Nation. With different culture comes different religion, which I am not sure has been melted together to become equal.

In the United States seventy-six percent of Americans recognize themselves as Christians. This is a very large amount of people, but what about the other twenty-four percent of Americans? I believe there is not enough separation between Church and State. Why should the twenty- four percent of Non-Christians have to follow laws that are based on the Bible?

For example, gay marriage is recognized as a sin in the Bible. Therefore, a law was created making gay marriage illegal. This seems wrong considering every citizen of the United States must follow this Bible related law, but not every citizen believes in the Bible.

If you do not believe in gay marriage then don’t become gay, but do not disrespect others by not allowing them the rights that you have. We are all citizens of these United States and each and every one of us deserves the same rights.