Jesus who?

By fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other

Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”

The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?

I'm reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and there is a strong religion vs science undertone. This prompted me to write this.

on Apr. 28 2011 at 12:20 am

I'm a teen and I love going to church. I don't think church is dull at all and whenever I'm there and I'm singing hymn's such as "Amazing Grace" and "This Little Light of Mine" I can feel the full power of God's love.

I live in the South and most kids down here still go to church. Religion has instilled morals in us and will always be apart of our society despite if you like it or not.

Our Pledge, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and our national motto, all of this inspired by religion.

on Apr. 8 2011 at 5:16 pm
HisPurePrincess ELITE, Flemington, New Jersey
I really don't know what your problem is.  From my point of view, YOU are in the dark.  You don't need to be rude about it.  I'm a little upset at the editors, because I wrote a very long comment explaining everything I wanted to say after I talked with my mom about it, and they didn't put it up.  I don't know why, I didn't say anything wrong.  Anyway, saying "God works in mysterious ways" is a true enough statement for me, but I wouldn't say that to you, because I know you'd dismiss it in an instant.  Please, stop trying to dig at me.  It's a little offensive.

on Apr. 8 2011 at 10:35 am
SATAN4LIFE BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

"FRIDAY, FRIDAY, GOTTA GET DOWN ON FRIDAY" - Rebecca Black

When you think about how infinitely large the universe is, 1 in 2 trillion is not that bad odds.

on Apr. 8 2011 at 10:33 am
SATAN4LIFE BRONZE, Waterboro, Maine

The problem with religion is that no matter what argument you put on the table they can just say "God works in mysterious ways". You can give up, she wants to be left in the dark, and that's where she'll stay forever.

tuasony said...
on Apr. 5 2011 at 5:29 pm
you are right. Im a christ follower

on Apr. 5 2011 at 5:24 pm
Obviously you don't know what your talking about. First of all science doesn't PROVE anything, and there are alot of christian scientists. I, for one love science and christianity, and they do go together. You have a very poor arguement. Anyone who knows what they were talking about can see that.

on Apr. 5 2011 at 4:49 pm

You talk as if religion and science dont agree with each other. It can and if you read the Bible, it does. Teens nowaday would probably want to stay and play on the computer. But some are willing to spend some time with God.

Owning droids doesnt mean rejecting God. Loving science doesnt mean God is a myth. If you research what the bible has to say about science, youll know it is quite the opposite.

on Mar. 23 2011 at 8:32 am

Okay, most of the previous comments were made on my phone, and sometimes I accidently made the touch QWERTY disappear and it wouldn't come back, so I didn't always say as much as I wanted to say.  I've talked with my mom about the things that've been said back and forth and we had a really interesting disscussion.  Anyway, I'd like to say some new things now.

I'm sorry.  I really didn't come across to you like I wanted to.  I want you to know that I really appreciate your opinion and have enjoyed this opportunity to talk about this subject with someone.  It's hard to get someone's tone of voice when all you get are words on a screen.  If we were able to do this face to face I'm sure everything would have been better commuticated.  Also, I did have some rather sarcastic statements and sometimes seemed a little annoyed.  It really isn't right to let myself get like that when I want to be showing you respect, so I apologize for that too.  I really want you to understand the love that I do want to show you.  I don't think God was happy with the way I was representing him.  I'm going to try and do a lot better.

Now, I'm going to reply to all of your statements and requests now, since I'm able to, starting at the beginning.  This article was about how science appeals to teens more than church does, and the computer is where they'd rather be.  I can't say that's she's really wrong on that.  When I said that I find science dull and church is an amazing place to be, I was saying to the author - Well, here is one girl who contradicts your statement - I wasn't making a generalization, I was giving an example of the opposite viewpoint so people know that my perspective does exist.  Also, I know other teens who do appreciate church and enjoy it.

About God.  When I get into this subject, I do tend to rant a little bit.  Sometimes more than a little bit.  You should ignore my comment that says "God doesn't need logic."  It was written in haste and not the best wording for what I really wanted to say.  

Next, I do appreciate science.  I've studied science every year of school, though I wish I didn't have to.  My mom wants me to have a full education - I'm homeschooled - and most recently I've studied General Science, Physical Science, Biology and Chemistry.  I got though that last one with a solid B even though the book only expected a C from students who aren't fans.  So even though each year was torture, I made it through and managed to learn a lot!  I know that atoms of the building blocks of the universe and we've never actually seen them, but we've seen evidence of them existing.  I know that heat is just molecules that have been energized and I know that light travels fasting than sound, that's why you see lightning before you hear the thunder.  I know that matter cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change form - 1st law of thermodynamics - and that the entropy of the universe will only increase or remain the same, it can never decrease - 2nd law of thermodynamics.

What is science?  It's creating theories based on observable evidence.  I'm not saying that you said this, but this is why I find it crazy when people say creationists or Christians can't be scientists.  They make theories just like "real" scientists do.  You said that I was relying on emotional appeals.  Yeah, it did come across that way.  But I don't really.  I just neglected to say things like I'm saying now.  

Finally, I'll answer to your last comment.  "I have no grounds for claiming the properties of God."  Well, to be honest, I'm not all exactly sure what you mean by that.  Maybe it's your wording.  Wording does confuse my brain sometimes, it's not always the greatest.  I believe that I have studied and "seen" meaning read plenty of evidence for a God.  At least, for intelligent design.  I'm studying the human body this year.  Just got finished with my tiny brush with the complexities of the brain in the last two chapters.  Wow.  I could just keep saying that.  Wow.  The brain is soooo complicated!  The more I study the way our bodies work, the more I am convinced that this could not have happened by chance or by evolution.  Not to this degree.  

So here you have my opinion, written up a whole lot more nicely, and I hope you understand all that I was trying to say.  I completely respect you for objecting to what I say.  I don't hate you, or dislike you for that.  If fact, I really do have a love for you.  Please do not think that I'm being sappy or pathetic, because I am just telling the truth. 

on Mar. 21 2011 at 4:22 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

And since you ignored my question on the fact that you have no grounds for claiming the properties of God, i'll let the records show that i won that one.

on Mar. 21 2011 at 3:59 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Also, you're wrong on that last comment. There IS something you can say that would change my opinion. You could use valid sources for evidence rather than relying on emotional (and demonstrably false) appeals.

on Mar. 21 2011 at 3:45 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Testimony to you =/= Actual evidence

on Mar. 21 2011 at 1:45 pm
First off, if you post a comment and it doesn't just appear, that doesn't mean it didnt go through. Next, I doubt there's anything I can say that will make the slightest bit of difference to your opinion of me. Now, since I don't need your approval, that's fine, but i'll say something anyway. First off, all of nature is a testimony to me.

on Mar. 21 2011 at 12:16 am

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I don't care what he needs. Your argument had no proof and you haven't given proof of why i'm wrong. If you don't always understand him then how do you DARE speculate on his properties?

on Mar. 21 2011 at 12:13 am

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I don't care what he needs. Your argument had no proof and you haven't given evidence why i'm wrong. If you don't always understand him then how do you dare speculate on his properties?

on Mar. 21 2011 at 12:12 am

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I don't care what he needs. Your argument had no proof and you haven't offered evidence why i'm wrong. If you don't always understand him, then how do you dare speculate on his properties?

on Mar. 21 2011 at 12:09 am

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I don't care what he needs. Your argument had no proof and you haven't specified why i'm wrong. If you don't always understand him, then how can you even dare to speculate on his properties?

on Mar. 21 2011 at 12:07 am

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I don't care what "God" needs. Your argument had no solid proof to back it up, and you STILL haven't even offered ONE PIECE of evidence as to why i'm wrong an why my argument isn't sound.

on Mar. 21 2011 at 12:06 am

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

I don't care what "God" needs. Your argument had no solid proof to back it up, and you STILL haven't even offered ONE PIECE of evidence as to why i'm wrong an why my argument isn't sound. If you don't always understand him, then how can you even dare to speculate on his properties?

on Mar. 20 2011 at 10:27 pm
God doesn't need logic.  He's very illogical sometimes, and I like that.  I don't always understand him, and that's okay too.  I struggle with my faith, but I only need it in the size of a mustard seed and I can move mountains.  You say that I don't have a sound argument, but I'm just going to say that all you've said to me isn't sound at all.  And it really hold no sway with me either.  It's been very interesting, I just disagree.

on Mar. 18 2011 at 10:22 pm

This sentence is false.
- Unknown

Exactly what evidence do you have to make the ludicrous suggestion that Intelligent Design has merit?

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!