Jesus who?

The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?

StarryRoss said...
One more thing, Catholics ARE NOT Creationists! REALLY?! According to Catholicism (its fine if you're not, I'm just saying that's what the author said in this article), the Bible is meant to be taken figuratively. It has moral, religious, and spiritual truths and is not a science or history text book. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT IF YOU WANT TO INSULT US. PLEASE.

Shadow878 replied...
Oct. 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm :
I'd like to say the same thing goes for protestants.

StarryRoss said...
Geez, I have a bit of issues with this article. First of all, if you want people to really respect your viewpoint and take you seriously, please check your spelling. Please. Secondly, you have a view against Catholicism specifically, but then you almost seem to defend it in the end. Clarify that. Thirdly, the Catholic Church is NOT endorsing not learning, or 'being boring,' or any of the ludicrous things you said. Perhaps they did in the Renaissance era, or the Inquisition, or w... (more »)

dancegirl13 said...
May 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm:
Science may have ripped nations apart with the creations of weapons in more recent years. However, religion has been ripping apart nations for centuries and centuries through horrific wars over differing beliefs - something that humans should be able to respect and tolerate.

WSwilliams said...
Okay, let me start by asking you this. How did we get here? The bible provides us a clear representation of history. And many scientific advances have come from bible believing christians. It is better when science and religion work together. Also keep in mind that Dan Brown is a fiction author. He writes speculative fiction and is does not represent true catholic beliefs. 

callie15 said...
Hey, why single out the Catholics? We're not the only religion who promotes the faith. And I would have to disagree with your theory. I think that people of this day might not be as religious as a few decades ago, but it doesn't mean that they turn to science. I think people say that they are religious even if they're really not. For example, a side of my family claims that they're Catholics, but they do not go to church. I think society as a whole are reliant on tecnology, but I don't think ... (more »)

callie15 replied...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:19 pm :
Sorry, technology

WriterA.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Science is cool. My best subject. Religion is man's attempt to reach God. Jesus is the way to God, not religion. :) Isaac Newton was a gifted scientist, and a follower of Christ. Glory to God! :)

fiction77 said...

After having reread my article (slightly nonfactual I will admit) I can say that there are a few errors. My overall point was that what darwinism has brought forth as an alternative to christianity is much more appealing to me as I'm trying to discover our (mankind's) place in the world. The idea of natural selection is much more logical then what the bible and it's teachings have put forth. That being said, the fact that the christian church has been actively improving society (yes religion ... (more »)

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Or perhaps... More youth are turning towards science because it actually makes sense, as opposed to religion, which is hypocritical, full of bigotry and whatnot.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 8:32 pm:
this is a tad silly if you have ever ever opened a history book you might have noticed that almost every bad war or such was caused by religion especially cathlicism. Although i guess you have a sort of point with texting and emailing person to person conversations have decreased.

ThereIsAHeaven said...
May 13, 2011 at 8:32 am:
Dan Brown is a good writer, but I find his work completely fictional. Stop dwelling in your fantasy of secularism and start thinking about life. If God created science, then why does science corrupt the weak minded?

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 10:22 am :
I would like to know who you consider 'weak minded'. I would also like to know why science created by God would corrupt them.

annelindy replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm :

God doesn't corrupt. Satan does. The reason why God lets evil exist is because we chose it. We chose evil. God is not a tryant. He won't force us to accept Him even though He is very real and alive and true.

Just like wind isn't see-able, doesn't mean it's not there.

Same for evil. We can see the effects but we can't see it, per say.

We can't really understand all of God; that would make us gods. But we know some about Him because of the world around us...wh... (more »)

ThereIsAHeaven replied...
Aug. 1, 2011 at 6:16 pm :
I never once said God corrupts, science corrupts man's thinking. 

Mtizzle replied...
Jan. 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm :
im not atheist but if God created satan and he knows everything there was to be knows everything that is to happen why create Satan and sin and other things?

BlueRain replied...
Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm :

ThereIsAHeaven: Science corrupts man's thinking? Are you serious? Please explain further, as I see no sense in that statement. Science is the observation and application of the functioning natural world. I don't see how seeing the world for what it is corrupts our thinking. 

Mtizzle: Yes, that is one of the great paradoxes of that whole mess. There is even a specific passage in the bible where "God" says 'I create evil'. And read the Book of Job, a very sad and sadistic sto... (more »)

AnotherJesusFreak said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:20 am:

I'm a teen and I love going to church. I don't think church is dull at all and whenever I'm there and I'm singing hymn's such as "Amazing Grace" and "This Little Light of Mine" I can feel the full power of God's love.

I live in the South and most kids down here still go to church. Religion has instilled morals in us and will always be apart of our society despite if you like it or not.

Our Pledge, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and our national motto, all of this inspired by ... (more »)

WriterA.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm :
Jesus is not a religion. ;)

blemished_rose said...
Obviously you don't know what your talking about. First of all science doesn't PROVE anything, and there are alot of christian scientists. I, for one love science and christianity, and they do go together. You have a very poor arguement. Anyone who knows what they were talking about can see that.