God's Name | Teen Ink

God's Name

By Arethusa_Bransome BRONZE, Springfield, Missouri
Arethusa_Bransome BRONZE, Springfield, Missouri

Does anyone know god's name anymore? When I say "Oh my god!" I get a chorus of "Don't take god's name in vain!"
People, people, god's name isn't God. No, god's name is Yaweh. (This is the Judeo-Christian version, of course) Besides, in Christianity at least, it's perfectly fine to say Yaweh now. When the veil broke after Jesus was resurrected, the common person was allowed to speak to god on their own and speak his name. In the Jewish belief, it is still bad to say Yaweh.

So, please, people, remember that god's name is Yaweh, not god.

I have heard this phrase a lot, and it has annoyed me. In fact, it annoyed me when I was a Christian because I knew what the commandment really meant when so many other's didn't. When I saw an article about it here that didn't mention this fact, I felt the need to write my own.

on Nov. 25 2013 at 8:45 pm
onegirlandapen PLATINUM, Madera, California

"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I agree with the previous two comments. God has a variety of names, God, Yahweh, Jehovah, the Great I Am, the Alpha and Omega, Reedeemer, Healer, Lord Almighty, The First and Last....None of which should be taken in vain!

on Jun. 16 2010 at 8:41 pm
Read the Bible. Yes, God's name is Yaweh, but it is also GOD. When He said not to take the name of the Lord in vain, He meant all of His names: Yaweh, Jesus, Lord, and GOD.

on Feb. 15 2010 at 5:34 pm
AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington

"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

god is god and he is the great I AM.