Standing Out, What Makes Me Different

I walk through the doors of my high school as I watch hundreds of kids pass by. Millions of teenagers just like me nationwide attend school as well, so what makes me so special? What am I doing to stand out? I would hope the answer is obvious to those who know me. I smile every time I am recognized as the Christian girl, so innocent and outspoken. It is an accomplishment to know I do not have to tell someone how I stand because my actions are speaking for me. I attend the Bible study at my school, and Church regularly. I stand out from the crowd by saying no to the simplest things. My peers may say im “too innocent” because I choose not to cuss, “try” alcohol, or go too far with a boy. However, I know I am not a saint. I make mistakes, sometimes I make the wrong decisions, I get mad and frustrated and slip a few words I should not have, but that is what makes me human. No one is perfect, that is exactly why I turn to God to save me of my sins.
What makes Christianity different from so many other religions? Christianity is the only religion that teaches you cannot earn your way to heaven. The Bible states, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one can get to the Father except through Me (John 14:6).” Many believe you can get to heaven simply from your good works. Well consider this, the Bible says everyone will face Him after death to be judged (2 Corinthians 5:10), if you were standing before God how would you prove you deserve to be in heaven? Let us say He told you to get into heaven you needed 1,000 points. You might say, “Well I did help my mom clean the kitchen once without her telling me to.” However, keep in mind that God is omniscient, which means He is all knowing. In response He might say, “Alright there’s one, but you also hit your brother the same day.” Really, there is no way that you can end up getting those points because everyone has many more negative thoughts and actions than they do good ones. That is why Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again. God sent Him to give His life to pay the debt of our sins.
There may be those who do not believe in God in general. How do you explain the universe? If you argue with the big bang theory, I ask what made those molecules that collided? The Bible says, “Since what may be known about God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–His eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse (Romans 1:19-20).”
Christianity is more than a religion; it is a relationship with God through prayer, and reading His word, the Bible; it is not a label, it is a lifestyle. For so many who question the meaning of life, it is to glorify God in what we do, to give to Him what he gave to us (life). Earth is only temporary; I do believe there is an afterlife because the Bible tells us so (2 Corinthians 5:10). Everyone will have life after death, the question is where you will spend it, heaven, or hell, there is no in-between. We are on earth now because God has given us a choice to follow Him or not. You cannot force love, so He gives us the option to surrender to Him or surrender to sin, the many temptations we face every day.
The bell rings, marking the end of another day. I walk through the crowd my head held high, my face glowing with joy as if I am the light shining. Heads turn and people ask, “What does that girl have that makes her different? How does she smile, when so many things go wrong?”

onegirlandapenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is one of the best things I have read in a long time. Way to hit the nail on the head! This is exactly what being a Christian is all about. I hope you don't mind if I quote this when I speak to people about Christ.

Outcast4God said...
You go girl!!! That's what we need!

DawnieRaeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:31 am:
I absolutly agree with everything you said. Chrisiantity is way more then just a religion, i love the way you said this!!!!!!!!!!! great job Leanna 

infinity12 said...
Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm:
I thought this was amazing. Honestly, I agreed with everything you said. I like how you explained your reasoning through God's word. Also, I think it's great that you don't swear or any of those things. So many people do and I often question why? Anyway, this was amazing to read. Great job!

LeannaRose said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm:
Thank you, I appreciate it.

The_Earl_of_Zerces said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 5:49 pm:
Typically whenever I read stuff like this, it's mostly the person saying that their way is the right way and anyone who says differently is stupid. However, I really liked at how you didn't do that. You just stated your case, explained why your viewpoint works for you, bowed, and left. Personally I disagreed with you on certain points, but I didn't mind because you were still very polite and well-meaning, unlike so many other religious people I've met. So even though I may not share your philoso... (more »)

LivingforGodsince2003, said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm:
I love this, and it describes me perfecty. My friend today said I am naive thinking that murderes can change, but they can because Paul killed CHRISTIANS for MONEY before he became saved. Anyone can change if they accept Jesus. Sorry I'm off topic, but anyways I love this.

peace_love_beauty said...
I love this article and think it should be in the magazine =)

LeannaRose replied...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm :
Thank ou! I appreciate that I've been at the top for 2 years and can't seem to get into the magazine:(

SeasonalFog said...
The title is disconnected from the article. The title makes it seem that it is about you infividuallly, but the article is focused on why your religion is different, 

inkblot13 said...
YES!! It's so awesome to see an article on here saying positive things about Christianity :D And, lol, I totally understand what you mean by the 'innocent one'. I'm considered the innocent one even with all of my other 'innocent' friends! Haha, great job :)

dolphin13 said...
YES!!!!!!! It's great to hear a Christian voice speaking out. I agree with everything you say here. I go to a Christian school so the majority of the school is Christian, but I still hope my light is shining, especially when I am not in school. Way to let your light shine in all you do!

crazychick said...
I envy your honesty, your not a freak just beautiful, its nice to see more teens proud of their religion

LeannaRose replied...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm :
thank you(:

AnotherJesusFreak said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 12:32 am:
Great job! It's nice to see more teens who don't think religion is dull.

DisicpleofChristandJesusEnthusiast replied...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 4:08 pm :
THANKYOU! I totally agree

sydthekid said...
I really enjoyed this and I totally agree on all points! Great great job!

TwinnBears27 said...
Loved it! An amazing relationship with God! 

MiaMonster said...
i liked this article, it was well written. but it made it sound like you were putting yourself above others because of what you supposedly believe in, though everyone no matter what religion or ethnicity are the same. it sounded a little arrogant and slightly ignorant considering how bad the real world is. im not trying to judge your beliefs im just saying.  

dolphin13 replied...
Oct. 28, 2011 at 5:23 pm :
She wasn't saying she was better. She was saying that she has a special hope that other people don't have. This doesn't make her better, only special. Other people can have this hope and be special like her if they would just believe.

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_nc26ulk3shi5ojr4cj5g49jop7, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0