The Power to Pray In School

As our nation continues to grow and make progress we often seem to forget our past that has led us to where we are. For quite some time, prayer in school has been a rousing debate topic. Depending on the area in which one resides, this may or may not be condoned. Although the United States of America prides itself on the ability to worship freely, as stated in our constitution, it is often overlooked.

In my opinion, it is quite unethical to require all students to participate in prayer if involved in a public school system. Naturally, prayer is to be expected from certain private schools that are established upon religion such as a Catholic or Christian schools. However, I do believe that prayer in a public school system should by all means be condoned.

Our nation was established upon freedom of religion. Being that a public school system is indeed a public place, it falls within these guidelines. Therefore, we as citizens are to be protected under the United States Constitution to worship freely. In my opinion prayer is to be included in free worship. However, I also believe that any practice of religion committed by a particular student or group of students be condoned within the school system. This is providing that students in no way attempt to pressure others to partake in their personal religion.

Furthermore, I believe that students should have a personal option to partake in prayer. It is to be made clear that no student is required to participate. I also believe that prayer groups are to be condoned within the school system providing that they are offered as an extra curricular activity, not to be mandated by any authority. In order to prepare to students for life after completing secondary school, we must teach the adolescences of today that they are free to worship as the choose and that they should not condemn others for their personal beliefs. This is a crucial element to learn for students to learn in order to function in society.

Rachelw04841 said...
I completely Agree. Its our right to pray.

Dustfingers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 10:27 am
They should teach that they should not condemn others for thier personal beliefs but I think with secondary school thier who structure and purpose is to provide the students with a faith based life. I attend a Catholic School and i'm a christian and I believe that we khnow as people living in America that we can worship what we want to but some people like the fact that they can pray in public and i lie the fact that i begin my classes thinking about God and i begin my day thinking abou... (more »)

kbcountry1996 replied...
I am very sorry that you felt I was condeming prayer groups. Being that I myself am a Christian I am most definetly for them. However, I do not understand why it is that you believe I am condeming them. I do appreciate your feedback!