Just another untrustworthy atheist

It’s a normal weekday afternoon. I’m kicking back in the computer chair, relaxing after a long day at school. I open up my amazingly speedy internet browser (Firefox, of course) and initiate my daily visit to Facebook. I glance at my news feed long enough to notice someone’s reposted chain message. It’s one I’ve seen before. It says something along the lines of “I am proud to call Jesus Christ my savior. 97% of facebook users will not repost this, but I am not ashamed of God. Repost this if you feel the same way.”

I frown. Where do people come up with these bizarre statistics, I wonder. Clearly, most Facebook users won’t even see this post, so this is irrelevant anyway.

Slightly annoyed, I proceed to my message inbox; a rare event has occurred! I’ve gotten a new message! My frown deepens as I open the message and read an angry proclamation that I have allowed the devil to overtake my life and that the sender is very disappointed that I do not see God the way she does – the way I SHOULD. So, I do what anyone else would do: I click on the sender’s profile link so I can glare at her profile. But alas! She has deleted me from her friend list, so there is no profile available for me to glare at!
While I hastily type a rational explanation of my religious beliefs to the de-friender, I sigh in exasperation, but deep inside, I’m hurting. Am I not worth talking to because of my religious beliefs? Would Jesus have deleted me like that?
Every day, atheists in the USA face scenarios like this one. Recent studies have shown atheists to be the least trusted people in the country, with more than half of people questioned in one survey proclaiming that they would flatly refuse to vote for an atheist presidential candidate (never mind that candidate’s policies – atheism is a clear indicator of a crooked politician).
Such statistics, as well as the remaining presence of God’s name in the USA’s motto and Pledge of Allegiance, as well as on its currency (and even federal weaponry, as recently revealed) show that despite its alleged separation of church and state, the US still has a ways to go in the way of secularism and religious tolerance. The US, according to yet more studies, has one of the highest rates of theism, as far as developed countries go.
Other counties, such as Sweden and the Czech Republic, have much higher rates of atheism, with a majority of citizens in both countries claiming to have no religion. Despite the apparent lack of trustworthiness among the people there, I really haven’t heard of any horrible riots or violent outbreaks or mass terrorism in those countries.

Theists have asked me what my purpose is in life and why I feel any obligation to remain moral. Apparently, since I don’t believe in an invisible, all-loving deity that will promptly throw me into hell for all eternity if I don’t life a sinless, conservative lifestyle, I must be a purposeless animal of no morals. There is absolutely nothing stopping me from stealing and killing right now. Since I’m an atheist, I must be too stupid to care about humans laws and too unfeeling to care about humans themselves. Regardless of the fact that every atheist I know, myself included, believes all humans have potential, dignity, and worth, I am moral-less, crude, and unfeeling.

I’ve also heard people complain that atheists are too adamant about their beliefs. They are intolerant of theists and they are completely arrogant. They shove their beliefs down the throats of theists. While I have definitely met some adamant and arrogant atheists, I can certainly say that I have never been approached by an atheist with threats of hell accompanied by a cordial invitation to the church that will save me from these fires. And when I was a Christian (which I was, meaning I have given theism a chance), I was never rejected as a friend by an atheist due to my theism.

One could also argue that every single person is born atheistic, before being instilled with religious dogma and beliefs by others, or, as a Christian might put it, “receiving the Good News.”

Finally, I can say that if I’m wrong and that the Christian God really is up there (and there’s a chance that he is), then I’m sure I’ll be going to heaven anyway. See, if God exists, he loves me and he has a plan for me. And since atheism is clearly part of his plan for me, I must be doing the will of God. Since he’s all merciful, he won’t condemn me to hell for my lack of belief, especially since he didn’t offer any actual evidence of his existence. Yup, I’m certain that if God exists, he’s saving a nice seat for me up in heaven.

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm:
This article really kind of shocked me. I don't live in USA so I wouldn't know, but I didn't know that theism is like this in the States. Pretty well written too!

Corkyspaniel replied...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 11:14 am :
It really is. Atheists are judged more than you would imagine. They're considered immoral and scary.

matt7 said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:49 am:

There are so many articles on this website about chosing athiesm and how they are fround upon (particularly by theists) for being atheist. Rest assured, its the Christians who are fround upon by society and are critized for being "intolerant...etc." Just look at the educational institutions of today, they all embrace secularism and dispise the Christian religion. 

It is the Christians who are being persecuted all around this world, we always were persecuted, and alw... (more »)

CruxClaireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 11:05 pm :

Christians often claim to be oppressed and put down. Are the 76% of all Americans who claim to be Christian really victimized by the 15% that don't practice organized religion? 

Public institutions embrace secularism because we have something here in the U.S. called separation of Church and State. If a government-controlled institution reflected Christianity, it would go against the principles of religious freedom that help define our nation. This has nothing do to with whether or... (more »)

Petrichor1994 replied...
Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:44 pm :

We are depraved? Seriously? Obviously, there are a lot of bad people in the world and even greater amount of bad things too. But there is a lot of good too when you know where to look.

Me? I believe in the potential of mankind and general decency of mankind rather than "being born in sin". It's better to have a positive outlook.

Still_Waters26 said...
May 31, 2010 at 5:36 pm:
This article was eye-opening and well-written.  I'm a Christian, and that email you recieved was NOT sent by a true Christ-follower.  A real Christ-follower doesn't condemn other religions and practically threaten them to repent or burn in Hell; a real Christ-follower loves people just as they are, forgives them, is a peacemaker, respects others, etc. Of course, Christians can teach the Gospel to others, but the ultimate decision is in the heart; no one can make that choice for him/her.

1Corinthians13:4_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 8, 2010 at 12:39 pm:
your article was well written even though i dont agree with what you are saying. i do agree though that people shouldnt judge athiests and one problem with christians today is they take a more judge mental, you-are-going-to-hell-if-you-dont-go-to-god point of view instead of a loveing understanding view. I am christian myself and messages like the one you recieved on face book annoy me very much. And deleting you from her list of friends was not a very "christianly" thing to do. But i do not agr... (more »)

May 31, 2010 at 8:35 pm :

So a serial killer who believes Jesus was his savior will go to heaven, but some pinnacle of good who did not believe in the Judeo-Christian deity (Gandhi, for example) will burn in hell for eternity?

And we were not created with atheistic or theistic views. We are born with no knowledge. Christians either become Christians through childhood indoctrination or through personal choice as teens or adults. Atheists are the same way. We are born neutral, not Christian.

... (more »)

1Corinthians13:4_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 9:09 am :
to the part about the serial killer, only if he placed god above everything else and was truly sorry. To God all sin is equal and everyone has sinned(Romans3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of god.) so you, for example, lying to your parents already makes you unworthy of heaven just as much as somone mudering someone since, as i said in my last post, sin seperates us from god. But if the serial killer were to repent h would gain salvatian. Jesus said i am the way the trut... (more »)

Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm :
So Gandhi is indeed rotting in hell right about now?

Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:55 pm :
whos Gandhi? and if he did not accept Jesus as his lord then yes, sadly, he is.

Jun. 24, 2010 at 1:02 pm :
I must agree with Anita here.

toxic.monkey replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm :
i'm glad i can do whatever the hell i want in my lifetime, according to you, since i'm not a christian and i'll go to hell anyway! it sure lifts a lot of trouble off my shoulders! thank you for enlightening me!

gracegirl29 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 7:44 pm :
if i'm interpreting correctly, 1corinthians said that if you repent, you can have a relationship with go.d. that does not involve doing whatever you want. either way, i want you to respect what i believe so i have to respect what you believe too.

toxic.monkey replied...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 9:26 am :
okay, i was wrong when i said it that way. i'm sorry i offended anyone, but i can't help it because of the stand i take in this kind of argument. anyway sorry again.

Sept. 19, 2010 at 1:07 pm :
it's okay, it happens to all of us!

crazyawesome said...
May 7, 2010 at 8:57 pm:
CruxClaire: after reading your response to some (haha) misinformed garbage, i read some of your other work. i must say, i respect you highly.

May 8, 2010 at 12:41 pm :
i am sorry you don't agree with what my article says but that is my point of view. Calling it "misinformed garbage" doesn't help with anything.

crazyawesome replied...
May 8, 2010 at 8:36 pm :
Well, I'm all for having your own opinion and all, but you just didnt seemed to have done research into your topic. Separation of church and state is highly important.

May 10, 2010 at 9:14 am :
i know its important thats not what i was trying to say through my article. Yes christians shouldnt be the only ones with their faith being told and there should be spereation. but i personally am not ok with being restricted and being told i can't tell people about my faith in certain situations.

May 22, 2010 at 9:51 am :

Here's a quote from your article:

"If we are one nation under God then why do people insist on the seperation of religion and state?"

That sure sounds like it's promoting the combination of Church and State. How are you restricted on your faith? Please give evidence that faith is restricted here in the US. Teachers are not allowed to lead class prayer in public schools because that would be promoting one faith over another in a state-controlled institution. However, they are all... (more »)