The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Shadow878 said...
Their are several problems with teaching creationsim in schools. One is that creation doesn't have clear model, not even christian creationist do anymore due to day - age, young earth, and gap creation. Not to mention you have to think about every other religon and thier ideas of creation. Second is that the scientific community has accepted Evolution and schools teach based on what is genrally accepted science. Last there is a lack of evidence for creationism, evolution has a larger bo... (more »)

TerraAnimusPatronus said...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 9:07 am:
WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO PROVE THEY ARE RIGHT YOU WONT KNOW THE TRUTH UNTIL YOU DIE SO STOP FIGHTING ONE ANOTHER AND TRY TO LIVE TOGETHER  

monochromatic replied...
Apr. 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm :
um, about not knowing the truth until one dies - if evolution is true, no one will know anything when they die because their mind will cease to exist. if the Bible(as it was originally written) is true, then by the time we die it'll be too late too make any decision because we'll either be in heaven or hell for eternity. soo . . . I thik it's a pretty big deal which is right.

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 24, 2012 at 9:32 pm:
I really like your article. Good Job with the refrences and sources.

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm:

'What are they afraid of?'

Of losing thier religious freedom. If Congress cannot establish a religion, they cannot endorse one religious belief above another. If a school run by the government teaches Christian creationism rather than, say, Islamic creationism (which is slightly different) or Hindu creationism (which is extremely different), that is endorsing Christitanity over other religions. Therefore, it's a violation of the Constitution. Once you begin revoking religi... (more »)

Musicfeedsthesoul07 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 13, 2012 at 1:17 am:

This entire article made me cringe..based on the fact that you are severely misinformed. 

First, "If man evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys?" The modern ape differs from the humanoid which we have evolved from. Technically speaking modern apes are our cousins, we share the same ancestors but somewhere along the line we break off and evolve separately.

Secondly, "Complex organisms cannot evolve from simple organisms" how do you think diseases morph to become re... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:18 pm :

Actuall, most of my references weren't the Bible, I mean, there's a whole Works Cited page full of noj-biblical sources...

And it's your choice, you can pick and choose the facts you want to stand by. At this point in science it is really a matter of opinion because both sides have "evidence". Now, how true the evidence is is where your own opinion begins and science really stops.

So technically, if it makes you cringe, then you are really just being scientifically intolerable, ... (more »)

Musicfeedsthesoul07 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 15, 2012 at 12:49 am :

I went through some of your sources in order to getter a better idea of where your side is coming from, since I'm not very familiar with creation ideals. 

When it boils down to it, more than you not believing in evolution. My problem is that your paper states that it's necessary for schools to teach creationism. This is where my major issue lies, you can believe what you want but I don't not want religion of ANY KIND being put in my education. I choose to go to a public school and... (more »)

contemplatorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 24, 2012 at 9:29 pm :
Shcools are meant to prepare us for life. Inorder to do so, the school must teach the truth. So, what happens if creation is true? Without creationism being taught, you may be missing a very vital course. Also, its not very educational, or fair, to study one side of an argument.

May 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm :
Yes, but I AM NOT CHRISTIAN therefore creationism is not now nor will it ever be part of my life. If you want to learn about creationism feel free to learn it in church or at home...or even individually at school but it is a violation my religious freedom to teach creationism in my school. Also there are more than two sides to this argument, almost every religion has some sort of theory as to why man was placed on this earth, if you teach one you teach them all...but as of now the only teaching ... (more »)

May 28, 2012 at 10:25 am :

Your are relying on subjective truth. ex: Your wrong because I say so. However science is based on objective truth. Your argument is "I don't beleive it, so they shouldn't teach it to me". But because I don't beleive evolution, they shouldn't teach it. 

Honestly, they should teach the most popular theories for the orgin of the earth. And creationism isn't classified by the logicians as 'religion', its classified as science.

May 28, 2012 at 4:10 pm :
There's physical evidence of evolution with research and science backing it up. The "proof" for creationism is the bible and religious research, I deem it religious because I don't believe in Jesus and therefore ALL evidence is invalid. The only thing that discredits evolution is people refusing to believe what's being shown to them, if you want to ignore science that's fine but creationism is NOT science. 

May 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm :

Again, your argument is 'because I don't beleive, its not true". You have to break out of that habit and use logic and common sense.

Several atheistic scientist do not beleive in evolution because they see the flaws. Other atheists even agree that there must have been a creator. You should do a research on evolution's credibility. Look at both sides of the argument.

May 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm :

My point is that until creationist can physically show evidence of (the way evolutionists have) of signs in the atmosphere or something to prove that there is a creator it makes more sense to side with theory that has more facts. 

If you don't believe me look up a bonobo, it looks scarily like a human. Or if you want to go more prehistoric theres, A.Afarensis, A.Africanus, Neanderthals, Proconsol...the list goes on. Scientists have found several skulls which heavily resemble human... (more »)

May 29, 2012 at 10:43 am :

Oh, your one of THOSE evolutionists. Don't you know all those guys have been found to be regular humans like you and me?

And your point, again, is based on "what I beleive". "I beleive in evolution because of a variety of facts. So we cannot have creationism in schools until you make it seem likely to me." is a more complex simplied version of what your saying.

About the monkeys thing, no I did not mean that. I meant DNA, c-14 dating and presumptions.

May 29, 2012 at 3:20 pm :

I'm not going to argue my points on evolution to you...there no point, you believe something different and that's fine. 

I have no problem with you believing whatever you want, it's a free country. My problem is that no matter what you say Creationism is based on Genesis which is biblical. Whether I believe in Jesus is beside the point...it comes down to the fact that public education should not be allowed to teach ANYTHING religious ever. You can argue that creationism is science... (more »)

May 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm :

Creationism is based off scientifical observation. The Bible merely confirms it. Creationism actually has MORE evidence than evolution, seeing as how there is an eyewitness account. :D

What happens if a christian family is not able to attend a private school? They will have a secular veiwpoint "shoved down there throats". And it is rare for a church to  capable of giving an entire sience course.

Would it be unfair to other religions if schools start teaching c... (more »)

May 29, 2012 at 10:12 pm :

First and foremost there is absolutely no proof which you can see with your eyes that creationism is true and your eyewitness account is hearsay. If you follow the scientific method in the evaluation of creationism you can create close to zero basis. Whereas with evolution it is possible to create a hypothesis and test it, this is the basis evolution has over creationism...it didn't begin with a book written thousands of years ago by a priest, it came from years of painstaking research of nat... (more »)

May 29, 2012 at 10:51 pm :

I don't want to appear rude, so let me know if I do. Its more of a writing expression skill that I want to conquer rather than my being afraid that you were deeply offended whilst reading this.

When a scientist recreates the big bang, let me know!!!

Not all communties are the same, buddy. Not everyone are so lucky to have churches capable to do that.

Where in the decleration of independance, does it say 'this country is secular'? ... (more »)

May 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm :

I'm not saying that a scientist can create the big bang I'm talking more along the lines of archeology. 

In case you aren't familiar here are the step for the scientific method.

Ask a Question

Do Background Research

Construct a Hypothesis

Test Your Hypothesis by Doing an Experiment

Analyze Your Data

Draw a Conclusion

Communicate Your Results

Evolutionists can dig up as m... (more »)