The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

truthiness said...
May 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm:
The biggest problem with this is that you totally ignore scientific FACT. While it is well written and less inflammatory than other things I've seen here, it's hard to take it seriously with such glaring errors being the basis of this piece. "survival of the fittest" does not imply that monkeys should be extinct. They did not become useless once humans evolved, because humans and monkeys inhabit separate ecological niches. And that is an oversimplification. The other thing is, I fail to see how ... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm :
not mental evolution... its simply progress. our minds arent getting smarter... we just know more than we did in the 1500s because time has passed. the longer humans ae around, the more time we have to discover things. mental evolution? thats a laugh. go read a book. learn some stuff.

fishie5 said...
May 27, 2010 at 7:45 am:
This is obviously a very well researched article, and I appreciate seeing 'the other side of the coin', as it is so different from my perception of life. Just one thing that I contend: You say that there is no proof of evoloution, when there are fossilized remains to be found all over the world, and your proof of creationism is a book. If creationism is truly facutal, the why didn't people who weren't connected to the roots of Christianity have their own identical version of the Bible? Why ... (more »)

matt7 replied...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 10:32 pm :

For intrest sake, scientists did discover dinosaur remains that still contained cells that were still alive. It's hard to believe that dinosaurs became extinct millions of years ago.

I am a Christian, I do believe in the creation account of the Bible. If you dont want to believe in God, you will look at this world through another set of glasses.  

Steve H. said...
May 7, 2010 at 12:23 pm:

what are the flaws with your argument? oh let me count them.

1 Natural selection with flies and other animals, thus giving the theory of evolution the necessary backbone.

2 you often assume that just because the bible says something means it is correct, and this often gives an annoying reaction. (ex. the bible says "in the beggining god created the heavens and the earth," so only god could have done so.

3 You state that it was miraculous that moses knew about blood and su... (more »)

ReflectionsofYou said...
May 7, 2010 at 11:14 am:

That's what I'v been thinking this whole time. Why would the begining be taught as a "fact" when no one can recreate it? And thus prove it?

I hate to say that because I belive with my whoe heart that God made the universe and he made me. And so saying that make me feel a little like a sell out.... I don't quite have that on figured out. But I do know that science isn't infallible.

Persona said...
May 7, 2010 at 1:38 am:
There is a second half to my post below, but I posted it in response to the first half. Responses usually take longer to post, but I'm not sure how long it will take, so I hope you'll be patient if you wish to respond to me on the subject at hand. Thank you for your time.

Persona said...
May 7, 2010 at 1:36 am:

Misconception 1:  There would be no monkeys left around if man evolved from monkeys. 

This is a misconception for the simple reason that it ignores the principle of evolution known as common ancestry. Common ancestry occurs when a single species evolves into two or multiple species, because of different mutations and different environments, due to either environmental change or migration. In the human case, we share a common ancestor with modern monkeys. Mo... (more »)

Persona replied...
May 7, 2010 at 1:36 am :

In addition, Creationism, unlike Evolution and The Big Band Theory, do not follow scientific method, from which all science is derived. Why should something unscientific be taught as science. Scientific method, as you should know from your science classes, is a process by which scientific conclusions are made, after observation, hypothesis, testing, analysis, draw a conclusion, and test that conclusion. Unlike anything else in the known universe, you cannot test god. There is no way to repeat... (more »)

gaga_fan_2828 said...

In response to your first statement:

Try to imagine that there is a supreme being (mind you, no one has ever actually encountered this being DIRECTLY [not just the supposed effects of it] and had it be taken down as historically accurate) who is all-powerful, and this one being had the power to create a billion solar systems and an ever-expanding universe, and has power over every single thing on Earth, but still allows war and hunger to go on, even though it's all "for the better good... (more »)

sunshine replied...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 8:34 am :
So are you an atheist? If you are then what explanation do you give for such systematic beings just popping into existence one after the other. I am talking about babies being born. As I mentioned in another comment, do you really believe that such a law abiding universe has no one to control it. Do you really believe that this universe that is ever expanding has not been ordered by some entity to keep expanding. We humans are like specks of dust compared to this ever expanding universe, the man... (more »)

toxic.monkey said...

you've made quite a few good points and you are pretty convincing. i just want to note that (according to the theory of evolution) humans came from apes and not monkeys as you've said a few times in your article. monkeys and apes aren't quite the same.

actually i think that creationism isn't taught in schools is because it's ingrained into our societies' beliefs anyway.

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 1:02 pm :

haha yes i agree. see, i wrote this paper last year for school and when i went through and corrected some stuff i guess i missed that.

and yes, that is a very good point :) though some believe otherwise

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm :
Humans did not come from apes or monkeys. Apes, humans, and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor. Scientists believe that the common ancestor lived 5-8 million years ago. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/faq/cat02.html)

ElephantGirl523 said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 8:00 pm:
I think ur a really good writer

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm :
thank you :) it's nice to hear that.

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 1:04 pm:
I don't think you are right at all. I don't think god exists. How could anything or anyone create something like that? If you believe in god it's like you believe in magic, which everyone knows isn't real. Plus, scientists can prove that evolution exists. Evolution seems a lot easier to believe than creationism. Don't you agree?

clumsy_one123 replied...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 4:56 pm :
no i do not agree -_-

toxic.monkey replied...
Apr. 10, 2010 at 1:07 pm :
what about those species who are a transition of homo sapiens and apes? evolution is not about an ape slowly turning into a human. it's about how some apes had a mutation of, say, having straighter backs and they were efficient in running away. they had offspring who had those traits. the traits are passed on. the theory of evolution basically says that we, humans-lords-of-the-animals (not), are a collection of mutations and other accidents.

sunshine replied...
Apr. 16, 2010 at 5:13 am :

Dear sailerc,

I can understand that it is hard for an atheist to make sense of the belief that God exists but you still can't prove the belief wrong. For me it is hard to believe that evolution exists. I can believe in it in the context that things keep changing but I can't believe that apes and humans came from the same ancestor. But even if I believe in the theory I still think that there is some kind of entity that has power over everything and that made humans and apes ha... (more »)

Lilliterra replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 6:49 pm :
Um. I do not think "magic" really exists, at all, (in the way that you mean it) and I do not think an internet search is going to convince me. There is all kinds of false nonsense on the internet.