The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

fibonaccimathgenius said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm:

I read as far as the part about evolution, and then stopped because you made such huge errors that I could not keep reading. 

Helloooooooo...

Let me explain.  So there are creatures with different traits within each species.  For example, some giraffes might have longer necks than others and some might have shorter necks.  But this population of giraffes is driven to a different environment where the leaves are higher up.  So, the giraffes with the longe... (more »)

matt7 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm :
(here*) and i dont thing you read much about the big bang either

momo01 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 9:27 pm :
I agree with matt7 ^_^

Persona replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 10:57 am :
Considering I'm a determinism, I'll go ahead and answer the question presented:  Yes, I understand the principle of cause and effect. Do you understand the concept that the Big Bang Theory presents how our universe came to be FROM a primordial condensed point of matter that expanded into the stage it is today? The Big Bang Theory, I repeat and reiterate:  DOES NOT TELL US WE CAME FROM NOTHING. Where the point of condensed matter came from and why is expanded is still being debated... (more »)

Theskull215 replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 6:59 pm :
Fibonacci; consider this, the word 'God' is just a word to describe an abstract entity that was, is and always will be. That being said, IF such an entity exists it it is beyond the human scope to explain it because he is the 'i' in mathematics. Can we honestly say that there is a square root of negetive one in the real world? or is it an abstract idea used to describe a thing we know to exist at some point in space and time?

startrekfan replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm :
when i am goven scientific proof that there is a god i will believe. untill then, i will believe in what has been proven, which is evoloution.

LF282 replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm :
Evolution is deffinetly all around us. Not just in humans, but in everything. Take howler monkeys for example. They howl instead of bite or scratch because if they did and either of the two in the fight got the tiniest bite or scratch parasites would go into their bloodstream and eat them from the inside out. The first of the "howler monkeys" long ago probably fought and scrachted and bit, but they all died, where as the monkeys that just howled survived.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm :
probably is not a very good scientific word, dearie.  also, Persona: if it's still being debated, do you agree then that evolution (as the explanation to answer the universe) is still a theory and not a Law?

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:01 am :
Persona, how did the matter get there? You said it yourself that the universe was condensed ball of matter but how did the matter get there? If there is not a Creator, the matter had to have gotten there somehow.

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:09 am :

And before you answer my question above Persona, remember the First Law of Thermodynamics. It states that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So the matter could not have gotten there from nothing, because it cannot be created from nothing.

Those that believe in God believe that he exists outside of time and therefor can create matter. Evolution with the first law cannot happen.

yellowbunny said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm:
I agree that evolution can not be proven, and neither can creationism, but if we taught both these un provable theorys, we would also have to teach any other unprovable theory that some one wanted to teach, such as hinduism. How could we teach everything?

clumsy_one123 replied...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 6:46 pm :
well dont classes like world geography and world history teach the basics of other religions??

truthiness said...
May 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm:
The biggest problem with this is that you totally ignore scientific FACT. While it is well written and less inflammatory than other things I've seen here, it's hard to take it seriously with such glaring errors being the basis of this piece. "survival of the fittest" does not imply that monkeys should be extinct. They did not become useless once humans evolved, because humans and monkeys inhabit separate ecological niches. And that is an oversimplification. The other thing is, I fail to see how ... (more »)

clumsy_one123 replied...
May 31, 2010 at 11:09 am :
it would seem that you failed to notice the TRUE PIRPOSE of my paper. my point was not to disproove evolution or the big band theory, but merely to point out that both are just as disbelieveable as creationism. the topic of my paper, oh unobservant one, was that creationism should be taught in schools because it is also a theory that can be proved JUST AS EASTILY as evolution or the big bang theory. i could argue all day with you about this, but i won't because you obviously don't understand wha... (more »)

matt7 replied...
Jun. 15, 2010 at 2:16 pm :
And you know that the Bible is not true? You are not honest with yourself when you say evolution is fact and the Bible is fiction. You can only really base it on the faith that you have. And trying to prove a faith will result in circular reasoning, a fallicy. You have to understand that if you dont want to believe in God or the Bible than the evidence will look diffrently to you than if you did; that is the case with Creationists and Evolutionist.

momo01 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm :
The bible is not fiction sir

matt7 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 6:14 pm :
Hey, im glad there are more Christians on this website:)

startrekfan replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:45 am :
i support evoloution and the big bang 100% but in my school they touch on those in science but spend 3 months learning about religions or the world

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:13 am :

If the Evolution Theory is a scientific fact, why is it still called a theory.

Here is the definiton of theory from dictionary.come: noun a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable"

It says a scientific theory must be falsifiable, which means it can still be proven false. Therefor evolution is not a fact and needs to stop being taught as such.

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:17 am :

And another thing I find wrong about the Evolution theory is, look at the definition of theory. It says a theory is based on observations.

Since when has evolution been observed to happen! Nobody has observed any animal turning into something else or a monkey turning into a human, so its not even a theory, just an assumption.

startrekfan replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm :
not only do we have proof of human evoloution, but we have proof of evoloution in animals too. granted, nobody actually saw evoloution take place because it happens so gradually. think about it. you are surrounded by electronic devices. do you think that people would have been able to create these things 1000 years ago? this is only one example of mental evoloution.