The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

startrekfan said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:41 am:
umm...even humans are still evolving

startrekfan replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:49 pm :

1. ITS BEEN PROVEN

2. ITS BEEN RE-PROVEN

3. ITS BEEN PROVEN AGAIN!!!

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm :

wow great 3 reasons. none of those are valid. they arent facts. they are false. how many ways can i say this?

evolution has not been proven. if it had, it would be a LAW not a THEORY.

startrekfan replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 4:03 pm :
how many ways can i say that the bible hasnt peen proven either. and DO SOME RESEARCH!!! evoloution has been proven

clumsy_one123 replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 4:09 pm :

did i say creationsim was proven? no. i said it should be taught alongside evolution since neither are proven (THEORIES).

not only do you not read, you didn't even read my paper. how can you criticize what i believe if you dont know? you obviously just jumped to conclusions. and it made you look stupid.

startrekfan replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm :
i read it like a year ago when i actually started posting comments

textbookreader replied...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:08 am :
Um... I don't know where clumsy_one gets his/her definitions of theories and laws, but it obviously wasn't a science textbook. A law is a generalization of the way nature behaves in a given situation, while a theory attempts to explain why nature behaves that way. Although it's virtually impossible to prove theories, they are accepted by the scientific community after enough experiments or observations have supported them. So, because evolution is supported by evidence much more than any other t... (more »)

fibonaccimathgenius said...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 2:52 pm:

I read as far as the part about evolution, and then stopped because you made such huge errors that I could not keep reading. 

Helloooooooo...

Let me explain.  So there are creatures with different traits within each species.  For example, some giraffes might have longer necks than others and some might have shorter necks.  But this population of giraffes is driven to a different environment where the leaves are higher up.  So, the giraffes with the longe... (more »)

fibonaccimathgenius replied...
Jul. 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm :
haha sorry it looks like it doubled what i wrote. when it starts to repeat, just ignore it!

momo01 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm :
let me just start by saying, do you believe in the principle of cause and effect you know the rule that something cant come from nothing and ever cause has an effect?

matt7 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 6:18 pm :
The essence of God is eternal. God created time, therefore, He is not bound by time. Phisical objects are bound by physical properties, whereas spiritual beings are not. And everyone knows that in order to create matter with engery, there must be compementary antimatter. Where is the antimatter? Good thing its not hear or else we would explode ;)

matt7 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 6:20 pm :
(here*) and i dont thing you read much about the big bang either

momo01 replied...
Jul. 29, 2010 at 9:27 pm :
I agree with matt7 ^_^

Persona replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 10:57 am :
Considering I'm a determinism, I'll go ahead and answer the question presented:  Yes, I understand the principle of cause and effect. Do you understand the concept that the Big Bang Theory presents how our universe came to be FROM a primordial condensed point of matter that expanded into the stage it is today? The Big Bang Theory, I repeat and reiterate:  DOES NOT TELL US WE CAME FROM NOTHING. Where the point of condensed matter came from and why is expanded is still being debated... (more »)

Theskull215 replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 6:59 pm :
Fibonacci; consider this, the word 'God' is just a word to describe an abstract entity that was, is and always will be. That being said, IF such an entity exists it it is beyond the human scope to explain it because he is the 'i' in mathematics. Can we honestly say that there is a square root of negetive one in the real world? or is it an abstract idea used to describe a thing we know to exist at some point in space and time?

startrekfan replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm :
when i am goven scientific proof that there is a god i will believe. untill then, i will believe in what has been proven, which is evoloution.

LF282 replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm :
Evolution is deffinetly all around us. Not just in humans, but in everything. Take howler monkeys for example. They howl instead of bite or scratch because if they did and either of the two in the fight got the tiniest bite or scratch parasites would go into their bloodstream and eat them from the inside out. The first of the "howler monkeys" long ago probably fought and scrachted and bit, but they all died, where as the monkeys that just howled survived.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm :
probably is not a very good scientific word, dearie.  also, Persona: if it's still being debated, do you agree then that evolution (as the explanation to answer the universe) is still a theory and not a Law?

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:01 am :
Persona, how did the matter get there? You said it yourself that the universe was condensed ball of matter but how did the matter get there? If there is not a Creator, the matter had to have gotten there somehow.

AnotherJesusFreak replied...
Apr. 24, 2011 at 1:09 am :

And before you answer my question above Persona, remember the First Law of Thermodynamics. It states that matter can neither be created nor destroyed. So the matter could not have gotten there from nothing, because it cannot be created from nothing.

Those that believe in God believe that he exists outside of time and therefor can create matter. Evolution with the first law cannot happen.

yellowbunny said...
Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:53 pm:
I agree that evolution can not be proven, and neither can creationism, but if we taught both these un provable theorys, we would also have to teach any other unprovable theory that some one wanted to teach, such as hinduism. How could we teach everything?