An Athiests point of View | Teen Ink

An Athiests point of View

By ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody."

(MAY OFFEND SOME, DISCRETION ADVISED)
In America and throughout atheism has been looked down upon for many years. In 2005, America only had 2% of atheists and 4% agnostics, while the rest either believed in god or a higher power. As an atheist myself, I don’t disagree with religion what so ever. I come from a catholic family. At 14, I of course know little about the world compared to others. But in my opinion, I believe that religion is a controversial thing. To many, it is a sensitive subject. To me, it is nothing more than talking about the weather. Before I continue, I shall clarify a few things. Some people give atheists a bad name. Okay: I personally do not care how you run your life, nor will I try to conform you to my way of living. This is only my opinion and you may also have yours. It is, of course, a constitutional right (:
In my opinion, I feel religion is an excuse for many to feel comfortable with the afterlife. It gives people an excuse to think on the positive side rather than the negative. There is nothing wrong with that but any religion today, reminds me of the Greeks mythology/ the Aztecs praying towards the sun. Honestly, I don’t believe in any of it, I think it’s ridiculous, actually. And to compare that to Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, it makes no sense. It made me feel (Once I was catholic) as if I was an idiot for believing such a thing. I was as stupid as those who believed in a Greek god named Zeus.
What also brought me to atheism was faith in it’s self. It was hard for me to devote my life to something I only hoped exist. There was no scientific evidence that such a powerful man himself, existed. Although scientists do believe there was a Jewish man a named Jesus. He lived in Jerusalem and was believed to be the messiah. Wither that is true or not, that is what faith relies on. To me Jesus is no more real than Santa Claus.
Another point I’d like to make is; Abraham was the prior god to Jesus. Who created Abraham? If the world was not around how did the prior god create it? Doesn’t god need air and oxygen just like us? All of this is basic science, and people still disprove that he could survive anyways. Seriously? We can go on and on disproving how god doesn’t exist and anybody would add on to: Well god can fly! Me: How? It’s impossible Person: He has wings…
This is only my opinion. Please feel free to leave messages and comments. I most certainly will enjoy them. Thank you for reading.

I would just like to hear someone elses point of view.

on Oct. 15 2010 at 10:11 pm
earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

It was good, but there was one big thing that has been really bugging me. Your title should be "An Atheist's Point of View" with the apostrophe to make atheist possessive. Aside from that it was an enjoyable read.

on Oct. 15 2010 at 11:20 am
CourtneyHammett BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
I agree completely. I was raised in church myself, and I also find faith hard to hold onto. I need proof. And as a psychology student, I see the deep-seated need for religion. As a history student, I see its roots and all the many tries to satisfy this need.
I didn't expect to see an atheist's point of view here. It's nice hearing your thoughts. :)

on Oct. 8 2010 at 10:09 pm

Your belief is evidence of a pervasive human tendency to search for meaning where none exists. Everyone wants to think that they're special, that the planet they live on is unique. The belief in a benevolent creator is a manifestation of this aspect of the human psyche. 

on Sep. 23 2010 at 10:22 pm
foreverever008 BRONZE, Portland, Oregon

Hey, i agree all the way ; )

on Sep. 23 2010 at 9:31 pm
thoughtfulsoul PLATINUM, El Cajon, California

sorry i meant to say perspective

on Sep. 23 2010 at 9:30 pm
i enjoyed reading this because this is the first time i read an article on the athiest point of view. it was an interesting article and it gave me a different perspect.

SierraGem said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 7:22 pm
Youre awesome :)

on Aug. 10 2010 at 11:31 am
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

i can't really call myself an atheist but i'm not sure what religion i am. I'm tend to side with science, earthly justice and history in the modern view rather than religion. but sometimes i think another way.

just a note, buddhism is more of a philosophy, really. it's not thinking that buddha is the god, but that buddha had the wiseness to know the way to true happiness. plus anyone can become a buddha. wow maybe i'm buddhist? :P good article!

matt7 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 27 2010 at 4:43 pm
matt7 BRONZE, Charleston, Other

"For where God built a church, there the Devil would also build a chapel."
-Martin Luther

"Abraham was the prior god to Jesus" - Christians dont think that at all.

And every belief has its presupposiotions, or ultimate assumptions. That is impossible to prove or disprove without cirular reasoning. It takes a huge leap of faith to believe there is no God.

I have faith in the fact that there is a God that sets the bounds for good and evil

I have faith in the fact there is more to our life; we are not just 'bags of moleulces' that acts according to matter in motion

I have faith in the fact we are diffrent than animals, that we are created in Gods image.

Ultimatly, the faith of an honest atheist is in a worldview that cannot account for a geuine meaning. We come from some 'soup' of chemicals and then we are annihilated. How can one find any value, dignity, or meaning inside that gap?.....but have a nice day anyway...

Anita PLATINUM said...
on Jun. 23 2010 at 11:58 am
Anita PLATINUM, Santa Cruz, California
i respect your belief, but i'd also like to point out this: the idea of faith is believing in something about which there is no proof. 

on May. 24 2010 at 3:14 pm
steve herrmann, Snohomish Washington, Washington
hello faithful one, if I may make a point, even less can be proved by going, oh god thank you for, insert name here, and sitting in the dark. and it was thanks to our friends in the church, threating scientists, that we got that flat world theory.

on May. 14 2010 at 8:52 pm
HeraclitusDRM SILVER, Sewell, New Jersey

"For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories." -Plato

Scientists at one time entertained the idea that the earth was flat and the center of the universe. New information brings new perspective to the scientific paradigm. Perhaps man doesn't possess the tools now to detect god, or maybe he/she/it exists in some unexplored portion of space or another reality. It is also very possible that god is unobservable by man altogether; after all, humans can conceal their presence from lower lifeforms, is it not possible that a theoretically higher lifeform could also conceal itself from us? I also used to be atheist, so I know where you're coming from. But time and contemplation has allowed me to consider the possibility of a higher being (or beings). Dug the article besides that, just a few grammatical errors you need to hammer out. 

on May. 14 2010 at 4:28 pm
ClaraZornado GOLD, Danielson, Connecticut

"Your life is your art." Keri Smith

Well, I agree to disagree.. it's simply my opinion. You're free to have yours and I respect it, but telling me I'm wrong in my opinion is a bit uncalled for. For irony's sake: :)

on May. 14 2010 at 4:10 pm
No, the :) gives the article more comfortablitly and not so serious, it's showing how he or she is not tryna offend anyone, and if you don't like it, that's fine. But we're in 2010 now, may as well get used to it.

on Apr. 22 2010 at 11:15 pm
TheFaithfulOne BRONZE, Fairway, Virginia

God is the light that shows me the way, for there is nothing

that God cannot do

you do make some good points, but I am a strong Catholic, and Abraham is part of the Jewish religion I believe, not Catholic, I have never came across him in my bible, and it's God dude, if he wants to create another earth, he can, and considering the fact God can live forever, and also with the kid below me why is helping others selfish? Isn't that good either way you look at it?  Also the test of Faith.  I have gone through it and I  believe in God.  For reasons i cannot tell I was tested on my faith and by praying my prayers were answered.   P.S. Not everything can be proven with science either,

on Mar. 31 2010 at 7:38 pm
pinkjello1994 BRONZE, Ocala, Florida

"Never regret what once made you happy"

I totally agree, im currently in a catholic high school and i cant understand some of the things their teaching us. I too, am an atheist and I dont like the idea of everything we do is to get ourselves to heaven they try to make it seem like they always do things to help other people but its altametly all for selfish reasons. Too many people have died and suffered from religious differences, i also agree on the greek god comparison thats exactly how I see it as well. :)

on Mar. 31 2010 at 1:14 pm
skywitch BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

~ A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.~ Agent K
Men In Black

What proof is there that there is/was no evolution? And also I am a atheist as well and I don't feel like I'm wasting my life. 

on Mar. 31 2010 at 1:13 pm
tennisplayergirl GOLD, Arrington, Virginia

"He who will not risk cannot win." John Paul Jones

I think you are SO right! How could there be some guy up in the sky? It's like believing in magic. I am an atheist too, but I do think religion is good in some ways. Maybe some people will keep form doing bad things if they think god is watching them. But I hate when religious people get angry at you for not believing in god. Its so unfair!

on Mar. 29 2010 at 4:49 pm
JackLynnGubler BRONZE, San Pedro, California

are you 14 right now?

on Mar. 23 2010 at 9:03 am

"Your life is your art." Keri Smith

I admire your honest opinion(s) and willingness to share them. However.. the "(:" takes some solemnity from the article. Very nice, though.