An Athiests point of View | Teen Ink

An Athiests point of View

By ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina
ChildOfThePast SILVER, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody."

(MAY OFFEND SOME, DISCRETION ADVISED)
In America and throughout atheism has been looked down upon for many years. In 2005, America only had 2% of atheists and 4% agnostics, while the rest either believed in god or a higher power. As an atheist myself, I don’t disagree with religion what so ever. I come from a catholic family. At 14, I of course know little about the world compared to others. But in my opinion, I believe that religion is a controversial thing. To many, it is a sensitive subject. To me, it is nothing more than talking about the weather. Before I continue, I shall clarify a few things. Some people give atheists a bad name. Okay: I personally do not care how you run your life, nor will I try to conform you to my way of living. This is only my opinion and you may also have yours. It is, of course, a constitutional right (:
In my opinion, I feel religion is an excuse for many to feel comfortable with the afterlife. It gives people an excuse to think on the positive side rather than the negative. There is nothing wrong with that but any religion today, reminds me of the Greeks mythology/ the Aztecs praying towards the sun. Honestly, I don’t believe in any of it, I think it’s ridiculous, actually. And to compare that to Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, it makes no sense. It made me feel (Once I was catholic) as if I was an idiot for believing such a thing. I was as stupid as those who believed in a Greek god named Zeus.
What also brought me to atheism was faith in it’s self. It was hard for me to devote my life to something I only hoped exist. There was no scientific evidence that such a powerful man himself, existed. Although scientists do believe there was a Jewish man a named Jesus. He lived in Jerusalem and was believed to be the messiah. Wither that is true or not, that is what faith relies on. To me Jesus is no more real than Santa Claus.
Another point I’d like to make is; Abraham was the prior god to Jesus. Who created Abraham? If the world was not around how did the prior god create it? Doesn’t god need air and oxygen just like us? All of this is basic science, and people still disprove that he could survive anyways. Seriously? We can go on and on disproving how god doesn’t exist and anybody would add on to: Well god can fly! Me: How? It’s impossible Person: He has wings…
This is only my opinion. Please feel free to leave messages and comments. I most certainly will enjoy them. Thank you for reading.

I would just like to hear someone elses point of view.

on Jul. 28 2011 at 11:08 am
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

You know somethings wrong when you can't share your thoughts with your self.
-Sadie P. Jackson

Toxic Monkey. If you like science then read A Case For Christ. It is the science of the bible and was written by an athiest.

on Jul. 28 2011 at 11:07 am
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

-Sadie P. Jackson

AMEN! God is a whole new concept. a new level of reality. God is not meant to comprehened by man. We will never fully understand God. God just Is.

on Jul. 28 2011 at 11:05 am
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

-Sadie P. Jackson

Oh and when it comes to science you should read a case for christ. It was written by an athiest.

on Jul. 28 2011 at 11:04 am
jesus_saves GOLD, San Antonio, Texas

-Sadie P. Jackson

Aftershock.

I loved your article! You approached it in a very suttle way that makes respect you not only as a writer but as a person. I can't say that I aggree with the content of your writing but it isn't my place to judge you. I am a christian and I don't beleive in him to make me comfortable. To be honest christianity is scary. I know that I will be mocked and persicuted(sp) for Jesus. But Jesus saved my life so I owe it to him.

Thank you for writing!

Sonata16 GOLD said...
on Jul. 6 2011 at 1:23 pm
Sonata16 GOLD, Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

"There is no agony like bearing an untold story inside of you." --Zora Neil Hurston

I rather enjoyed your article, but I'm afraid you haver not done your research entirely. You  say that some scientists believe that there was a man named Jesus, as if he may or may not have existed. But there are many many ancient historians who wrote about Jesus and his life. For instance, there was a Roman and Jewish historian by the name of Josephus who was anti-christian, and who wrote many times of Jesus, calling him a "sorcerer" because of the miracles performed.

I suppose what I am trying to get at is I don't necessarily feel as though you have done your research historically, as well as looked at science compared to Christianity.

on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:22 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Yes! We have a right to our own opinion!

on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:21 pm

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

But it's not wasting your life. Instead of devoting your life, you're living it.

on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:19 pm

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

(I agree with skywitch)

on Jun. 28 2011 at 6:15 pm

-Oliver Wendell Holmes

...But not everyone believes that there is a God. Please take that into consideration, thank you. :) 

on Jun. 14 2011 at 8:43 pm
ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania

Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

Well, Earth being on a perfect axis could have something to do with gravity... just saying...

on May. 23 2011 at 3:49 pm

Kept in the closet? As should so many other things...right? It seems that some re.ligious people (such as your self, I'm guessing) like to keep things behind closed doors becuase you don't seem to get the concept of reality. This is the real world and everyone has an opinion. I wrote this almost 2 years ago and, suprisly, a lot of people feel the same as I do. No re.lig.ion nor viewpoint has reign over society. Your opinion, of course, is no better than mine. But, for you to say to someone that has a different opinion then yours to stay quiet, that's ridiculous. My opinion can stay out as your mind should probably grow :/ You shouldn't give an opinion on something you know nothing about, and though my piece is flawed, I continue to gain perspective on reli.gio.n, as you should too.

Manish9 SILVER said...
on May. 1 2011 at 9:45 pm
Manish9 SILVER, Kanpur, Other

Hey guys dont get me wrong , but i too agree with thyis article and it's author's point of view . 

i strongly believe that religion serves as a pacifier to the ever lasting human hunger for knowledge . Well today most of the questions can be answered by science and logic , but some are still answerable only by religion ,i.e where did we come from ? what is our purpose in life ?, etc .

but soon science will have those answers too .

MadMouse GOLD said...
on Apr. 9 2011 at 6:50 pm
MadMouse GOLD, Springfield, Missouri

'The only things worth doing on the weekend are completely pointless and wastes of time."

Um, I'm not sure where you are getting the idea the Abraham was a god....I mean, yeah, he was an awesome guy, but not a god. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention that.

Also, here's what I have gathered: God doesn't need air because he is not a human. Don't try to picture him as a mortal human. He's not. He's simply a being. He only became human once, so he could save us.

on Apr. 2 2011 at 6:47 pm
Sierra379 BRONZE, Lehi, Utah
I agree with you

on Mar. 18 2011 at 11:11 am
EmoToboe BRONZE, Kemp, Texas

When you've lost it all.......That's when you finally realize.....That life is BEAUTIFUL

I feel a lot of the same sentiment that you feel. I've also grown apart from a Christian faith...

A lot of the reason is that, contrary to what I've been told for the majority of my life, is that if you read the bible, you can see quite a bit of contradiction. For example, here is one thing I haven't been able to comprehend. In the Ten Commandments, one of them stated: "Thou shall not kill". Looking a little further in the bible, mentionably in the book of numbers, you see god promoting violence. The commandment said "Thou shall not kill", note a lack of any exceptions to the law. If God commanded not to kill, why does he seem to promote war?

Apart from that, I can see quite a bit of hypocrisy and quite a few others acting as if they have the knowledge of God, judging others, although it is also stated in the bible that judgement shal be left to God, and vengeance is his, am I correct?

In conclusion, I don't think I can say there isn't a God, as I don't believe that any faith in particular can be proved or disproved, therefore, even Athiesm requires faith. And now, for those who don't believe life could have been produce by chance. Take 1000 darts and fling them randomly (please without anyone in your way) eventually, one of them will hit the bullseye. The universe has exist much longer than any of us can grasp, and has had much more than enough time for a thousand attempts....

on Mar. 18 2011 at 10:21 am
travelbuff13 BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

" Life is like a box of bullets, you never know when it's hit you and how bad its gonna hurt."

i  am a proud belever in god, but I respect you opening up and you are entitled to your opinion

Lilliterra said...
on Mar. 18 2011 at 12:33 am
Abraham is in Genesis.

Lilliterra said...
on Mar. 18 2011 at 12:30 am
Why would we search for meaning if there is no such thing as meaning? Where would we get the idea of meaning from in the first place?

on Jan. 6 2011 at 10:36 am
Exactly, Sanra. The sky isn't a thing it's what the atmosphere and space look like from our position on earth.

TheJust ELITE said...
on Nov. 6 2010 at 8:23 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Abraham was NOT a god. I don't know where you're getting that but no where in the TRUE Bible does it talk of Abraham as anything more than a faithful man.

And God doesn't need air because God created air. Science goes out the window when it comes to God because He created science. So, why shouldn't He be able to defy it? He wouldn't be God if He had limitations.