An Athiests point of View

(MAY OFFEND SOME, DISCRETION ADVISED)
In America and throughout atheism has been looked down upon for many years. In 2005, America only had 2% of atheists and 4% agnostics, while the rest either believed in god or a higher power. As an atheist myself, I don’t disagree with religion what so ever. I come from a catholic family. At 14, I of course know little about the world compared to others. But in my opinion, I believe that religion is a controversial thing. To many, it is a sensitive subject. To me, it is nothing more than talking about the weather. Before I continue, I shall clarify a few things. Some people give atheists a bad name. Okay: I personally do not care how you run your life, nor will I try to conform you to my way of living. This is only my opinion and you may also have yours. It is, of course, a constitutional right (:
In my opinion, I feel religion is an excuse for many to feel comfortable with the afterlife. It gives people an excuse to think on the positive side rather than the negative. There is nothing wrong with that but any religion today, reminds me of the Greeks mythology/ the Aztecs praying towards the sun. Honestly, I don’t believe in any of it, I think it’s ridiculous, actually. And to compare that to Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, it makes no sense. It made me feel (Once I was catholic) as if I was an idiot for believing such a thing. I was as stupid as those who believed in a Greek god named Zeus.
What also brought me to atheism was faith in it’s self. It was hard for me to devote my life to something I only hoped exist. There was no scientific evidence that such a powerful man himself, existed. Although scientists do believe there was a Jewish man a named Jesus. He lived in Jerusalem and was believed to be the messiah. Wither that is true or not, that is what faith relies on. To me Jesus is no more real than Santa Claus.
Another point I’d like to make is; Abraham was the prior god to Jesus. Who created Abraham? If the world was not around how did the prior god create it? Doesn’t god need air and oxygen just like us? All of this is basic science, and people still disprove that he could survive anyways. Seriously? We can go on and on disproving how god doesn’t exist and anybody would add on to: Well god can fly! Me: How? It’s impossible Person: He has wings…
This is only my opinion. Please feel free to leave messages and comments. I most certainly will enjoy them. Thank you for reading.

deepthi said...
Feb. 26 at 7:49 am:
Though i am an atheist,i agree with your thoughts.I am a hindu.And the people of this religion has many superstitous belief and at times it makes me to laugh at their behaviour.They make statues made of stones and call it as god and pray and such silly things.

AngelMacabinquil said...
Feb. 23 at 8:54 am:
 I have no problem regarding you, being an atheist but, I disagree with you in some matter especially about Catholicism. I don’t know if you heard this quote, “Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see” Not everything can be scientifically proven, just like God, Nobody has ever seen him, but some, most of the people believe in him because of the so called “Bible” which explains everything fr... (more »)

Angel Macabinquil said...
Feb. 23 at 8:28 am:
I have no problem regarding you, being an atheist but, I disagree with you in some matter especially about Catholicism. I don’t know if you heard this quote, “Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see” Not everything can be scientifically proven, just like God, Nobody has ever seen him, but some, most of the people believe in him because of the so called “Bible” which explains everything from the... (more »)

SantanaG123 said...
Jan. 29 at 11:32 am:
I am Apostolic/Pentecostal. I do not agree at all on what you have to say on religion. I think maybe you walked away from it because of rebelion...attention...or losing faith in God because he didn't answer your prayers in your favor. I think being an athiest is wrong, walking away and not believing in the one true king, your father. All I can do is pray you please come back to the truth.   Thanks,   Santana Garcia

BarzaitheWise said...
Jan. 18 at 1:32 am:
Abraham was no more God to the Hebrews than Mohammed is to the Muslims.

StarryRoss said...
Sept. 12, 2012 at 12:34 am:
Haha Abraham, what?! Where did you get that, that has nothing to do with anything about 'being a god' I've ever heard in my Catholic life. I'm not going to try to 'convert you,' but it is my absolute pet peeve when people try to denounce Catholicism and cannot even get the facts right. Don't you worry, I'll post a bit later when i have more time, some comments on the article. I see some of your points though.

Aftershock said...
I wrote this when I was fourteen and this piece has been number one on the site a few times...I'm kind of amazed at the huge number of comments and arguments. Thanks guys.

MadMouse said...
Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:49 am:
Er...just curious...where are you getting that Abraham was a god prior to Jesus? If you're going by the Christian Bible (maybe you are, maybe you aren't), Abraham is only a patriarch. Just another normal dude that really followed God. 

TerraAnimusPatronus said...
May 9, 2012 at 8:00 am:
I'm not Atheist or anything but I enjoyed your article what i believe in isn't very conventual but I believe in a spiritual power that created life and set everything in motion that prob sounds crazy

Aspiringauhor said...
I agree. I have an article on atheism, too, if you want to read other articles on atheism. It's called You Can Just Be You: An Atheist's View on Atheism. :) Great job.

silent.,.stargirl said...
from a christian with an athiest friend, i really have no problem with athiests, because our country was founded by religious outcasts so why are we forcing call to recite "one nation under God" every morning

E.George said...
It is equally likely that there is a god as there is not. Food for thought little atheist.

paige14 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

As an athiest, I agree with this exactly. There is scientific proof that evolution did occur (don't even try to deny it). Just by looking at different species and their genes evolution is prooven.

I wasn't raised with any faith. My parents just let me be throughout my childhood and let me figure it all out for myself. I went to church some with my dad but that never really called to me. I found programs on evolution and human history on TV and thought "wow, this makes sense."

I ... (more »)

TaphephobiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:57 pm :
Okay, wait a second, you make us sound like helpless children! Being followers of an ultimate, powerful, loving, and TRUE God is the same as being a brave warrior. We fight to save lives and to keep the thing we love more than anything in our hearts.

BlueRain replied...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 3:20 pm :
Loving? Have you ever read the Old Testament? I read that and he came across as everything except loving.

Mar. 26, 2012 at 3:33 pm :
Yes, I have read the old testament. I read of Him seeing we were all bad, but sparing a small handful to rebuild. I read of Isreal turning their backs on Him as He gave them chance after chance and loved them anyway. I read about how He gave people strength to do the seemingly impossible and no matter how bad we were, He gave us a chance at forgiveness. There were some towns, cities, and people that were killed, but God would never kill someone if He knew they would someday become a righteous pe... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Mar. 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm :

So instead of, I don't know... stopping them from being born, even just a few, he allowed them to live, basically to set them up for slaughter by the people he did love?

He is a tribal god. He selected a group of people to massacre everyone who didn't agree with him. Including the pregnant mothers who he ordered to have sliced open and cut into pieces. He didn't just kill them, they were murdered, they were massacred.

Not saying that I think it actually happened, but I wo... (more »)

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 1:49 am:
now that I'm back here i just wanna say that I dig the idea of a god with wings. Who says he she it doesn't have wings? ^^

jesus_saves said...
Jul. 28, 2011 at 11:05 am:
Oh and when it comes to science you should read a case for christ. It was written by an athiest.

Maddie B. replied...
Dec. 7, 2011 at 5:32 pm :
So are some of the smartest and most intelligent people in the country. What does it matter if it was written by an atheist? Steven Hawking is one of the smartest people in the world and has come up with scientific evidence that there is no God. You're just going to say that he's lying about that or something?