Religion......is it worth losing the one you love?

What religion are you? Catholic, Christian, Islamic, Lutheran, Wiccan? Does it really matter?
You may meet a Jewish person and befriend them. Then you may meet a Christian who doesn't like Jewish people. Do you befriend them because you don't care about their religion?
What if you meet a girl and date her? You've been with me for 2 years and you've told me that you love me. You ask me if I'd go to church with you because your family is Catholic. I say I can't and of course you ask why. I say I practice Wiccan and don't go to church. You're in awe. You know Wiccan is witchcraft. You become scared that I might curse you if you make me mad. I tell you you're being ridiculous. Religion shouldn't matter if you love someone for who they are. You decide to tell your parents and they freak. They tell you, your not allowed to see me anymore. You run to your room and call me. I answer in tears, and you tell me what happened. I cry harder and says that your parents are cruel and so are you. I hang up on you and you put the phone down slowly. You can't believe what happened. You just lost the one you truely loved all because of religion. You see me the next day at school and tell me that you still love me and that I was right. You shouldn't judge someone based on religion. So you kiss me and ask if you can ever make it up to me. I say you can buy me dinner.

BlueRain said...
Religion ruins relationships unless you're of the same religion.

bemark12 said...
Nov. 21, 2011 at 9:13 am:

Well, I think there are a few problems here. 

1) For many people, their religion actually plays a huge role in defining who they are. My faith influences my everyday decisions, outlook and worldview, and I think I'd probably have a difficult time loving someone who was on totally different wavelengths in certain areas. 

2) I find the initial question of this article interesting. For the Christian, the priority is to love and obey God; he is the "first love." So a bette... (more »)

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I think it's ridiculous to reject someone because they are not of the same religion as you. Seriously? Because you don't believe in the same invisible, non-existant being, you're going to deny yourself a chance at happiness?

Sad... Just another unfortunate by-product of religion.

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Well, for someone of the Christian faith - our religion DEFINES love, our God IS love, and the person we love must accept the same truths. I don't date people who aren't Christians because I believe that only someone who knows the truth and love of God knows what truth and love really are, and only a relationship that centers around THAT truth can be a stable, loving one. 

Opposing faiths usually do force a wedge between romantic relations because many people who are religious pla... (more »)

TaphephobiaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 8, 2011 at 10:06 pm :
i totally agree with this comment. according to the Christian faith, you are not to be "unevenly yoked" and im sorry but God is more important to me than a relationship that may or may not last, and personally i couldnt stand to watch someone i might spend the rest of my life with opposing the one thing i love. nothing good could come of it

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm:
i would only ever allow myself to love a person that has the same relationship with God as I do.  I wouldn't let this happen to me, and I think that anyone who does is going to end up hurt and broken hearted.  you shouldn't judge, but I would avoid anyone who might endanger my faith.

andromeda13 replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:54 am :
really? i wouldn't change my religion for the person i loved but i wouldn't ask them too change either. 

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 27, 2011 at 3:44 pm :
I have a friend who met this guy and she was a Christian but he wasn't.  She was sure that this was her "prince charming" but since we're told not to marry unbelievers, she didn't have any sort of relationship with him.  A couple of years later, they met again, and he had found God and become a passionate believer!  So they married and now have kids that are my friends.  Isn't God so amazing?  Well, I mean, I think so.  If I really thought someone was "the one" then... (more »)

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution said...
i think losing someone you love over a difference in religion is probably hypocritical to the religion in the first place, nice paper

ellie315 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 11:51 pm :

It isn't hypocritical, it's inevitable. The bible says we need equal yokage - we, as believes of God, are called to enter into romantic relationships that honor God before anything else - therefore, the person we love must be a Christian. 

Kelz1141 said...
I think you have a good concept going here, but I think you need to work on your writing tactics a bit more.

VampireX said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:11 am:
I agree this whole religion war is BS. I use to think mabye Christianity isn't for me, but after some soul searching I do believe in Christianity. I like the Wicca religion as well, I did some studying, and the phrase "Your Bible dissapears in the rain and wind, our bible is the rain and wind." really expressed them.

TrinityCreed replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 8:34 am :
You couldn't have said that better. I'm gonna say it once and, I'll say it again: "We need to tolerate another person's veiw about religion." I'm so sick of people debating about this so called war we have over religion. Let people be! Let them worship who ever they want to worship. The end result is the Surpreme Deity/Deities. 

music-is-my-life replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 1:29 pm :
vampireX and trinity, i completely agree with your "no judging" idea. i am in fact two religions. so many ppl say you cant be two religions, but i say, why not? i'm both Wiccan and Christian. I grew up Wiccan and just added Christianity. a friend talked to me for a long time about his views on Christianity, and i agreed with them. but i also didn't want  to give up my Wicca beliefs. so, i am both Wiccan and Christian

Sauronauk replied...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm :
TrinityCreed, the only problem is that 'man', and the world for that matter, has become too opinion based, and people are generally disgusted at the thought of change and or difference. Humanity is too conflicting, because we DO have opinions and ARE able to think. Thinking is a gateway to both hatred and love. Although in these more modern days, I believe most people's minds lean towards hatred and rivolting behavior.

TrinityCreed replied...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 9:01 am :
I can see where you are coming from and, you are right, humans do have a tendencey to love and hate. But there has to be a way to end our hatred towards others.

contemplaterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 7, 2011 at 11:00 pm :

The only way to end hatred is to get rid of Satan. Sauronauk has a good point. God gave us the freedom of choice. He did that to make our love (or hatred) toward him greater.

We choose who we want to follow, but only one actually loves us. I want you to tell me of ONE belief that says 'God loves you, so he died for us'? (That was a simplified quote from the bible).

You are right in your last statement of your first comment. God prevails, but only one. I want to be ... (more »)

andromeda13 replied...
Aug. 25, 2011 at 7:51 am :
okay first of all, being Wiccan and Christain is very much impossible. first Wiccans believe in the God and the Goddess, Christains believe in one almighty God, the Crisain religion also says, there is only one God. so i don't see how that can work out??? Not judging just asking for an axplaination.

TrinityCreed said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 9:07 am:
You know what, I'm adding my two cents to this debate. I personal think that there is no problem to respecting another's belief. I will admit I'm a born-again Christian, but I respect another person's veiw. In plain terms: I can tolerate other religions. I was always told by my mom "Who are we to judge another person by their faith?" We are not to; the end result is: we do believe in a Surpreme Deity/ Deities. 

JessJanks said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm:
I'm Catholic who just graduated from a high school dominated by evangelical and protestant students and teachers. I have lots of students from across the spectrum of denominations but I don't change my views on certain things just because I know my protestant friends think differently. I hope they would respect my opinion just like I would respect theirs, even if we disagreed.