Does Christianity = Hypocrisy?

By , not saying, CA
A lot of people that don't believe in God get really angry at Christians when they talk about God. A lot of people say that us Christians are just a bunch of self- righteous hypocrites. Unfortunately, a lot of us are. But not all of us. Yeah, Christians make mistakes too. And a lot of times, Christians will judge others for the same things they themselves do. But that doesn't mean God is like that- it just means that they are not representing Him well- they're making God look bad, which is a lot of the reason people don't like Christians. They think that we're all like that.

Really, God called us to love others. That's what being a Christian is all about- being like Jesus Christ, and He was all about love. Unfortunately, oftentimes we fail to love others. But we're not perfect either.

It's true, we have no right to judge others. God even says in the Bible that we are not to judge others, but to love them. It doesn't mean we necessarily agree with what they believe or the wrong things they do, but we have to understand that we too are imperfect, and love them.
I want to apologize to any of you that don't believe in God on behalf of any other Christians that have judged you. But please, don't completely close off your mind to God because of Christians that have misrepresented Him.

contemplator said...

Matthew 7. :D

My youth had a problem with judging others. However, we weren't judging nonbeleivers. We were judging other youth groups! One day, I woke up to a bible verse drawn on the chalk board. We were on a missions trip at the time. The verse was Matthew 7, judge not others lest you be judged. The guilt weighed so heavily on my youth leader, he came out and confessed to all the other youthleaders, and kids, that he was judging them.

The funny part was the young man who wrot... (more »)

Ellie_Michelle replied...
Wow that's really cool!  It's funny how God chooses to show us things sometimes.  I was just reading that the other day too :)

MadMouse said...
I love this article; I've thought along these lines before, but was never able to put it in writing. You did a great job. Keep writing:)

Ellie_Michelle replied...
Jul. 16, 2011 at 1:00 am
Thank you!  I'm so glad :)

Mountain_of_the_Skull said...
May 25, 2011 at 8:58 am
Nice article, but I will say this: yes, God is loving but He also is a jealous God. He is also a wrathful God. Don't forget He is loving, wrathful, and jealous.  

Ellie_Michelle replied...
i definitely agree.  the Bible says that too.

Ellie_Michelle replied...
just as He is merciful, He is just.  :)

Ellie_Michelle said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:37 am
Thank you :)

Jesus_Freak said...
This article is great. Thanks for writing it.

HerSister said...
I think that that is the best way to put it. I hate it when people say they are faithful and loving but then do so many anti-christian things. As Christians, we are called to love and serve. Jesus did make it clear that we are supposed to fix the things wrong with ourselves before we judge others. Great article!

Ellie_Michelle replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 1:00 am
Thanks, HerSister!

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really appreciate this article. It does seem that Christians judge people of different religions. I, as an atheist, have had many Christians judge me and treat me differently. And it's ironic. They have fought throughout there history to practise their religion freely. Shouldn't they be sympathetic?

Ellie_Michelle replied...
Apr. 6, 2010 at 1:01 am
I'm really sorry that has happened to you.  Hope this article helped and thanks a lot for commenting.  :)

I am an atheist, and I really appreciate this article. This happens a lot. Christians judge me for not believing in God. But shouldn't they understand how it feels to be discriminated? Christians fought throughout history to be able to practice their religion, and it does seem ironic how they judge others....

Ellie_Michelle replied...

Again, please don't group all Christians in that category, as I said in my article.  I'm so sorry this has happened to you!  That's awful.  I do hope that you come to realize that God does exist and He loves you.  I will not judge you for what you believe, though.  I just care about you and I know that since I gave my life to Him, my life has been soo much better.  I used to struggle with horrible depression and stuff, but He is healing me. I'm sorry for such a l... (more »)

lizzy96 said...
this is good work. i am a Christian, and i see this happening a lot. i wish i could say otherwise, but its true! thanks for letting others know whats going on!

Ellie_Michelle replied...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 3:22 am
Thank you! :) Your guys's comments mean a lot.

Sassafrax said...
i think that back then, when worshiping God was the center of their world, christians were a bit of a hypocrite, seeing all the people they killed, stuff like that.
Today however, a lot of the churches are rethinking the religion and really treating it as, like a social gathering like football only it's religion. It's all about making friends and things like that. it's only the ones who take it too seriously (think Carrie's mother) that turns it sour

Zachy_TB replied...
Wow. Just wow. You got your point across perfectly and politely. Very Good.

Ellie_Michelle replied...
Thank you! I'm glad. :)