Stereotyped

By , Oakville, Canada
Recently, I read an article about atheism by Sarah M. Titled "My Religion", I would urge everyone to read it, as it gives an insight into an atheist's mind, one that is not often seen. While I was reading it, I was thinking; 'wait. I barely knew her religion, yet I rejected it. Have people done the same to mine?'

I've moved from Saudi Arabia to Canada. As anyone with a basic knowledge of geography and culture knows, that is about the biggest culture shock a person can get. In Saudi Arabia, modesty was valued. In Canada, modesty is but a word. In Saudi Arabia, I felt at home, among fellow Muslims. No-one questioned me or my principles; they were generally accepted and understood to be true. When I came here, I thought, unreasonably, that it would be the same. I thought that people would have a general, basic knowledge of something that was my whole world. I was so sure of God, and Islam, and all of the ideals that came along with it. I thought that others, too, would be drawn by the light.

I was wrong.

Canada is a very tolerant place. Anyone will tell you that it is a multicultural quilt. The people are polite and respectful. They are wonderfully open-minded. But they, unfortunately, have concluded that as Christianity is not for them, neither is any other religion in the world. Chrisitianity, a religion which they are familiar with, is their base for judging other religions.

I am, of course, generalising here. But not much. It is what I have seen and observed. Undoubtedly, not everyone thinks like this. But the people whom I have met--nice and honest to the core--are blissful in their ignorance. And it kills me, because they don't see what they're missing out on.

Islam is not violent. It is not oppressive or cruel or any other stereotype. It is, quite honestly, what is true. Every time I read the Quran (the holy book), I know that it is true. The most beautiful poetry fills my ears and heart. It's as if some empty part of me is content. This is faith.

But for some, faith is not enough. They need scientific reasoning. They need facts. And, because Christianity does not give them these, they think that Islam does not either. It is perfectly normal. But I would urge anyone who feels this way to read "Allah's Miracles in the Quran" by Harun Yahya. It is one of the most in-depth and enlightening books on the subject. Science, through and through. Order it off Amazon or eBay. It's not that difficult.

Every single time I hang out with my new Canadian friends, there's always a little thorn in my heart, saying, 'What will happen to them after they die?'. It hurts so much to know that someone you care about is misguided. That is why believers of all religions always try to get non-believers to convert--they care. They cannot stand the idea of you or I burning. They want to help. I want to help.

I realise that I am getting a bit desperate here, but if I manage to convince even one person, it will be worth it.

Kristen L. said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 9:57 am
I am a canadian. Although I know how you feel, as I am Protestant, and most people don't believe what I do, a lot of people in canada are tolerant. My best friend is muslim and I truly like the fact that she believes what she does, because that's what's true for her. Please don't stereotype Canada, if you do' it's just a bad as others stereotyping saudi arabia.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
People who don't believe in your religion are not misguided, sorry. And no amount of converting or praying for them you do will ever change that. Respect their beliefs as they respect yours. Don't be intolerant of tolerant people.

savetheplanet replied...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:32 am
She is very respectful in her paper. She's sharing beliefs that not everyone is aware of. Either your agree with her or you don't.

JESUS_FrE@k_15 said...
Sept. 24, 2011 at 8:56 am
I'm a Christian, and I am not going to argue, just going to try to clear things up for you. God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are together the Holy Trinity. Yes, it is hard for us to understand. But Jesus came down to earth, gave up all His Heavenly privileges and luxuries just to be with His people, was martyred  on a cross (His physical body died, not His spiritual soul), and then rose again because He has the power of God. I hope i didn't confuse you or make you feel that Christians are ig... (more »)

JESUS_FrE@k_15 replied...
Sept. 24, 2011 at 8:57 am
oops, meant to put this as a reply to ReflectionsofYou, a few comments down.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:45 am
i have been taught weslan christianity since i was a kid and i never bought it for a sec so i have actual researched a bunch of religions islamic budist judaism hindu and even vodoo the bokar and all that and all i see is another reason for people to fight each other.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Hi, thanks for the comment! 

I do agree that religions often cause people to dispute, but in my opinion, this is mostly due to political and social problems rather than religion itself. Religious people can have very enlightening interfaith dialogues when their homes aren't under attack. :) 

Out of curiosity, what caused you to doubt Christianity since childhood? 

savetheplanet replied...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 12:33 am
I had suspicions that you might have written this Destinee! :) Nice work.

Haha, who else? :) Thanks! I would totally change it now though. I kinda hate the ending. Lol. :P

T.R.Trevino said...

I reallly did like this article. But I do have one little thing to say.

Not all believers try to convert non-believers because they care. Some (most of the believers I've encountered), do it because they simply want others to believe as they do.

Other than that, I would like to know more about Islam. I learned a few basics in History last year, and I know that not all Muslims are bad, there are just some extremist, just like any other religion, politcal party, etc..

Thanks for your input! Yes, I agree, some believers are weird. (I'm thinking J.ehovah's Witnesses here, haha.) But mostly, people are just being nice. :)

Islamic history is very interesting in and of itself, but Islamic doctrine (as in, the actual beliefs) are the crux of the faith, obviously. :) I really would encourage you to research it! Or, well, if you're too busy to do that, I'm always at the Philosophy forums preaching to random people. :P

polytheo said...
Love the article and I love the emotion that is put into it. Just saying that I personally do not believe in just one theory of religion. I enjoy reading up on most of the commonly known religions because they all have something interesting to contribute to a healthy and happy life. Whether or not I worry about the "end", or if I should, I have yet to find out. It came off as a little preachy at the end, but overall I really liked the article.

JesusIsMyFortress said...
Love your article! Both Christianity and Islam both have scientific facts to back them up, but many people choose to look only at the very few places that are still a scientific mystery. All we can do is pray for them at this point. 

writer-in-pearls said...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 1:31 am
This is an interesting article. I don't know what religion I agree with but would be interested in knowing more:)

Steve H. replied...
as an atheist I appreciate the, oh no your gonna burn for eternity. however if I make a point, the great thing about atheism is, that it simply lets you live your life how you want to, and you know that there isn't something that will ignite you if you don't go and fast for a year or suchlike. it is freedom. so please, don't try to convert. don't bar the free, embrace it.

krazykathleen replied...
May 31, 2010 at 10:34 am
"Something that will ignite you if you don't go and fast for year or suchlike?" This is so off it's hilarious. I'm a Christian and no, I have not fasted for a year and I belive I'm still going to Heaven. I won't preach to you, but I'm just saying being a Christian is freedom as well and next time you're trying to convince someone use something that makes a little more sense.

@Steve H:

It's those sort of comments that show ignorance.

Of course, I do not know if I'm going to Heaven or not, but I can still try, can't I?

Magsie replied...
steve, you are a very ignorant person.

The_Earl_of_Zerces replied...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 11:12 am
Perhaps Steve doesn't know what he's talking about. But more likely he was using a hyperbole to stress the point that a puritanical fear that some one, somewhere, is actually having fun, isn't a very good way to live your life, even if it does get you to Heaven. I personally think people should be more concerned with this life right now than with any possible afterlife, because this life is the one where we can actually make a difference.

Earl: And that's your belief. :)