Not Just Because, Just Believe

She looked down at the limp teddy bear in her hands. The sweet toy stared up at her with black button eyes and an unfading smile. A patch marked the bears chest, over it’s “heart”, where it had been worn through by five years of constant love. The right ear was permanently deformed from five years of being gripped tightly by a tiny toddler hand as it was dragged from place to place, never once being laid to rest in a corner as the other stuffed animals.
The distant sound of a child’s scream shattered her heart, bringing her world to a stand still as she allowed herself to be overtaken by her grief. Her baby was gone from her. All she had left of him was the tattered teddy bear, such a small reminder of such a precious life, taken away too early. Five sweet and tender years, the lifeless bear in her hands held every moment in its blank button eye stare. Short and sweet. His life was surly that. The young mother found herself struggling with not knowing the answer to her question of why?

Though asked by every person in the world at some point or another, it has never received an answer that has put the familiar question to rest. Though many will say “because…“, not every one will agree, or understand the because. It is an impossible question to understand the answer to, yet a simple one to answer. If you can believe. Believe. The power to wash away grief, to smile again, to hope again, to dance again. To live again.
There is a world. We know this is true. Why? Because, we can see it and feel it. There is a beginning, a middle, and an end. There is no way to deny this. Why? Because we can see as a new life comes into this world, we can watch as this life grows, and later, we can watch as this life ends. There is pain in this world. This everyone knows. Why? Because everyone has felt it in some way or another. See plus feel equals believe.
We tend to be a stubborn people. where we cannot believe something unless we can see it or feel it, because then it is not impossible to us anymore. Because by feeling it and seeing it, we have proved it. As simple as that. Where is faith? Faith, is the substance of thing hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.
We question. We wonder. And yet, the answers are always so simple. We only complicate them with our questions. Can’t we just let it be simple and just…believe?
God. How can He be real? We can not see Him, cannot feel Him. But the world, that we know is real, (because), we can see it, and the pain, the love, and the joy, of this life we can feel. Where does it come from? There is an answer for this question. Will you believe it? Probably not. Why? Because, you cannot see it, you cannot feel it. Or, maybe it is only because you have not chosen to see it, have not chosen to feel it. Simply, ignored it. Have not believed. Did not have faith. Both unseen. But both are felt.
The Mona Lisa. How do we know that it was painted by a man named Leonardo de Vinci. Or that, it even had a painter? Couldn’t it have just become, just as, (some of have said), the world just became? Perhaps. But that is a very difficult thing to believe, now, isn’t it? And, if I said that this was what I believed, then you would probably laugh, roll your eyes, and probably never finish this. But don’t worry, because I don’t believe that. I believe, that the Mona Lisa had a painter, just as the world has a creator. How do we know that the Mona Lisa had a painter, and that it was Leonardo de Vinci? Because, we can read this all over, on the internet, in history books, some art books…ect. How do we know that the world was created, and that it was created by God? The same way that we know the Mona Lisa was painted, and indeed was painted by Leonardo de Vinci.
How can we really deny it? Even if you are blind. You can still feel it. In your heart when you love, laugh, cry. On your face when the wind blows. With your hands as you feel a loved one’s face. So really, and truly, in the end, it is impossible to deny, (though I know you will), God. Why? I ask now. Won’t you believe, have faith, accept, what is so easy. It’s going to be impossible to see the forest through the trees if you choose to make it so. Just stop. Don’t make it complicated. Don’t question. Breath. Listen. See. Believe…simply, fall into the arms of faith.
Why? God. Is there a better answer? There is an artist behind every single masterpiece. There is a writer behind every story, poem, song, ect. And, there is also, just as sure as there is a writer or artist for ever work of art, there is a God for the wonderful masterpiece called sunset, mountain, sky, sun, smile, eyes, meadow, stream, lake, snow, world. Why? Can’t you believe? Is it so impossible? So hard? To much to ask?
My simple answer for the complicated why?, is, faith, believe, God. What is your answer? Is it for reason, or just because?

bobun16 said...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:22 pm:
Hey, i love this article, hope it gets published, ;D

AngelGal07 said...
Thanks for writting this artical!!!!!!!!! it's a really good peice. keep on believeing that god is god and that he is real!!!!!!!! dont lose faith but be strong in the lord for he'll cover you in the shadow of his wings and he will protect you!

AngelGal07 replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 12:51 pm :
please ignor my spelling

Shells replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm :

Thank you so much=) It can get discouraging with so many bad comments, that it's a breath of fresh air when you get an encouraging one=) And it just takes one to be so worth it! Thanks!

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 6:12 am:
hollywog, how can you say that this piece is legit? There is no evidence that there is a higher power! 

Dreamer5712 replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 9:05 am :
I believe in God. And also I have found evidence of him exsisting. My pastor took some teens on a missions trip to Mexico to pray for people. Many people came, but the one that stood out the most to my pastor was a woman that had been blind for 40 years. My pastor took some teens over to her to pray for her. The teens put their hands on her and started to pray. As they were praying for her she was able to see again. She was blind for 40 years and suddenly she could see because she was prayed for... (more »)

bobun16 replied...
Jun. 13, 2010 at 1:22 pm :
The world is proof man, where do you think it came from?

That-Contrarian-Librarian replied...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm :

@ bobun16

if only there was a 'like' button for comments...

savinGrace said...
"...the one thing non-believers hate the most about some Christians is that they refuse to acknowledge (even for the sake of civil discussion), that the other side could be right." Isn't that what you are doing to me right now? I think everyone does it, not just Christians. You may not be a Christian, but yet you are refusing to acknowledge that the other side might be right. It’s not just for non-believers, Christians too hate it when atheist stand firm in their belief... (more »)

Cameron S. replied...
Feb. 23, 2010 at 5:09 pm :
I used to be Christian . I've read the bible multiple times. I'm a logician, however, and with the introduction of science, it becomes apparent that there is no reason for the existence of a god or gods. I suppose the only thing I have to lose from belief in a higher power is that I would be lying to myself, as I believe in reason above all else, and there is absolutly no reason for there to be a god. If you're talking about the Judeo- Christian god, and it seems as though you a... (more »)

Dreamer5712 replied...
Apr. 8, 2010 at 9:13 am :
I have found that some parts of science can be proved wrong. I am a christian.  First of all, how is it that the earth could be in the exact place it's in and if it was moved slightly, we would all die? How is it that we evolved from monkeys when we still have monkeys on the planet? We need god wether people want to admit it or not.

Shells replied...
Apr. 9, 2010 at 4:18 pm :
Exactly!  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Persona said...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 4:27 am:
A few other very important questions I forgot to ask:
Do you believe ignoring something you dislike makes it go away? Do you believe it is better not to concern ourselves with these things? What do you think the effect this would have had on racism, if people had taken this stance? Don't question it, this is the way things are, because I said so? Why should one believe what another says without evidence?

savinGrace replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 5:18 pm :
I don't think that ignoring something you dislike will make it go away. That's not even what my article is about. My article was to state the fact that God is real. Being a Christian, (which you should know a little bit about), is not about ignoring reality. It's about putting your faith in God, and overcoming fear, pain, ect. God is my Heavenly Father, and just as a child afraid of the dark will turn to it‘s parents for strength and comfort, being a Christian, I simply... (more »)

Persona replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 5:34 pm :
You say your article is to state the fact that god exists, when in reality your article has done nothing in the way of proving such. You act as if Christians are the most persecuted people, when in reality this is clearly not so. We live in a country where Christians are the majority after all. You don't think Muslims get bad looks? Atheists? Wiccans? Hindus? Pagans? As for being ignorant, we can both say over and over back and forth that the other is ignorant, but that would get us no wher... (more »)

Persona replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 5:42 pm :
Again on the subject of persecution, what is it about having people disagreeing with you that is inherently Christian? I'd say that's more of a human experience than a religious one. I get yelled at all the time for my beliefs, especially when I put them out there as you have. Television evangelists won't stop nagging about what a hopeless wreck I am supposedly, conservative politicians won't stop telling me I'm unpatriotic, pro-lifers follow me just to scream in anger(h... (more »)

savinGrace replied...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 9:24 pm :

Persona replied...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 7:52 pm :
No, it's not. I acknowledge you could be right, I simply disagree and express that. No where have I said That's why I'm an agnostic atheist rather than a hard or militant atheist. At no point in our discussion have I ever said "What I believe is the truth" or "It is a fact that God does not exist" or anything along those lines, as opposed to yourself. As to your question, this is quite clearly a fallacious argument(Pascal's Wager). The argument creates a "either or" scenario in which two outcome... (more »)

Persona said...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 4:22 am:
I might also note that I am a former Christian and am currently much happier as a agnostic atheist.

Persona said...
Dec. 19, 2009 at 3:47 am:
A few questions and statements:
Why should one delude one's-self into believing something that is pleasant, merely because it is pleasant, as you seem to suggest in your fourth paragraph? Is it not more responsible to take in reality honestly? As for faith, it is not evidence for things unseen. Many have faith in a variety of things, often which conflict with the faith of others. How is it that faith is a valid form of evidence, while much of this "evidence" openly contradic... (more »)