The Meaning of Suffering and Life | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Suffering and Life

By vegalyra BRONZE, Glen Rock, New Jersey
vegalyra BRONZE, Glen Rock, New Jersey

"Let all that you do be done with love" 1 Corinthians 16:14

Every person on this planet struggles at some point in their life. Suffering is inevitable. I guess the question that is floating amidst us is “why?” Why am I suffering such terrible events? Why is this happening to ME? What is the purpose of my life? Christianity answers all of these questions.

In many ways, people see Christianity as this ultimate power that looks down on other people. In reality, Christianity is not about Christians themselves, but it’s about the holy trinity and following in Jesus’ footsteps. Jesus taught Christians to see the negative parts of themselves before pointing out the mistakes of others.

So why believe in Jesus Christ? Jesus Christ taught us the most important thing about life, love. Jesus was rich in love and sacrificed himself even when the crowd wanted him dead. He chose his path in life, just like how we can choose ours. We learn from Jesus to forgive, to have hope, to be faithful and most importantly to show compassion on those around us. As the bible states, “But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat and persecute you” Matthew 5:44.

Again, back to why we suffer and the meaning of life. Indeed, we suffer to learn a greater lesson, but what about world hunger and other issues such as those? What lesson do we learn from those issues? Christianity does not answer all these questions but it offers hope, which drives the spirit to believe there is a world that is greater than this one. God loves us and he has a plan for each and every one of us so that even our suffering has some sort of purpose. And finally, what is the meaning of life? It’s what drove God to make us and save us, unexplainable and perfect love.

I'm a Christian myself and I guess I was inspired to write this because of a few reasons. One, because I've asked myself the questions in this piece before. Two, there was this sermon I once listened to where it was about Rethinking the Church. Basically, my pastor told us about how a woman on drugs did not want to go to church because she believed the church people would make her feel worse. This honestly made me so upset because that's not what the church is about. The church is supposed to be welcoming, as Jesus was. Jesus ate with tax collectors because he understood they needed help. As Jesus said in Mark 2:17, "It is not healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. Christians are not supposed to look down on others but are suppose to help, support, and offer hope to those who are in pain. I hope this piece finds you and brings you to God.