Top Voted Social Issues / Civics Articles

Here are the top voted social issues / civics articles:

voted
#1
When I Grow Up This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In kindergarten, my class was asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Crayons danced across sheets of ­paper to illustrate our dream occupations. Our drawings were hung in the hallway for our parents to see at Back to School Night.... (more »)
179 comments
voted
#2
How Technology Affects Us This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Everyone has seen the moody, withdrawn kid with music blasting out of his white earbuds, or the girl rapidly texting on her phone. The youth of today are constantly immersed in technological advancements that promote nonstop communication and... (more »)
44 comments
voted
#3
Batman and Our Psyche This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I’m not going to lie. I saw “The Dark Knight” five times over the course of four weeks, and still I was not entirely satisfied with my ­intake of Bat-o-rama. Something about the most recent incarnation of the series made my skin tingle as... (more »)
14 comments
voted
#4
Internitwit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I recently read “Is Google Making Us Stupid?” – an article in The Atlantic about how the Internet has changed the way we think. This got me wondering: is our increasing dependence on the Internet substantially affecting the way our brains... (more »)
24 comments
voted
#5
YouTube Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me” is a cute saying but an obvious miscalculation of the power of words. It's all in the name. Names are used to ­categorize all sorts of things, especially people. The... (more »)
13 comments
voted
#6
For Love or Money? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The popular television show “Eight Is Enough” aired in the late 1970s and fascinated viewers of all ages who followed the trials and tribulations of the Bradford brood, eight independent children headed by their father, Tom. In the last 30... (more »)
29 comments
voted
#7
Injustice for the White Plumes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
As a rich and materialistic society, America can be blind or indifferent to the struggles of those around us. Among the skewed notions of reality we choose to accept, our understanding of the Native Americans' plight is especially startling.... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#8
Morality 101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
What ails contemporary American society? Everyone seems to have an answer. Racism, intolerance, ignorance, depression, lack of compassion – all valid issues that share one thing in common: the fact that their respective practitioners suffer from... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#9
The Evolution of Evolution This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
Charles Darwin is widely known for making the uncomfortable assertion that humans and apes are related. When he published his theory of evolution, he created a foundation on which everyone could grow. But Darwin's theory of evolution has... (more »)
11 comments
voted
#10
Bathroom Politics This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
At school, it's common to hear one girl ask another, “Want to go to the bathroom with me?” But I have never thought to ask that of a guy friend. I doubt I would get a positive reaction if I did. The male bathroom experience is utterly... (more »)
32 comments
voted
#11
The Know-it-all Generation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I rolled my eyes as I watched a mom help her five-year-old daughter out of the pool: “Honey, you're amazing. You'll be the next Olympian!” In reality, she swam more like a flailing pigeon than an elegant swan, but the daughter beamed with... (more »)
20 comments
voted
#12
Hope for a Second Chance This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.
I remember when I got into a fight in third grade. I was a very opinionated, strong-willed kid, and on the playground one day I became enraged at a boy for disagreeing with me. At the time, I decided beating down the opposition was the best way to... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#13
School Days Off for Muslims This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
By , Wexford, PA
We all believe in social equality, don't we? We all should, because America's Muslim citizens wish to celebrate their holy days in peace and cheer, not filled with the stress of missing classes and making up assignments. Islam is the second-most... (more »)
22 comments
voted
#14
Shopping in Secondhand Stores This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
It has become clear over the last few years that our economy is in bad shape, and that its effects reach past Wall Street, directly to the American people. Across the country, people are devising ways to cut back on spending. Some who previously... (more »)
9 comments
voted
#15
The Rise of Mr. Mom This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In the past few decades women have smashed the proverbial “glass ceiling” that once kept them confined to their homes. Not only have women become a major force in the workplace, but women now make up 56 percent of the college population,... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#16
Conformity/Nonconformity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Throughout history, many have tried to break away from society’s norms in an attempt to live life more fully. Examples include religious, government, and cultural revolutions where people group themselves based on their beliefs in order to... (more »)
15 comments