It's a Lovestyle

I cannot walk down the campus of my middle school without hearing, “You’re so gay.” I cannot hear about gay relationships in my classes without hearing an exclamation of disgust. And it will probably not be possible for many people to read this without a grimace or two.
I am not homosexual, and neither are any of my family members, but I strongly believe that gay marriages should be allowed everywhere and not be discriminated against. To me, it is completely closed-minded to think it is wrong to marry, or just be, homosexual.

In fifth grade, everything was much more innocent than it is now, but words were still thrown around carlessly. Words that may be sharp and piercing. One of my best friends and I were having a leisurely argue with two boys. As an insult they thought was mild, they called us “lesbos.” We cracked a quick joke about lesbians, and a girl whose parents are lesbian was near and heard it. The rest of the day, her face was long and bleak. There was a deep ache in my stomach for a while after that day. I never said anything insulting about a homosexual again.

Love is love, and I believe that everyone on earth and beyond should be able to love anyone. Hopefully, the world will eventually accept being gay. Our world, even though it is sad that we had to go through suffering, violence, and even death in the first place, has accepted other things that were discriminated against. Our new president, who I greatly admire, is part African. Being black used to be an odd, unusual, bad thing to some people. It was alienated, just as sometimes being gay is. But society, as it was proved on November fourth, is able to accept things that might be different to some people. I know many people who already accept homosexuality 100 percent, but I also know people who don’t, and I think that is incredibly sad.

Maybe one day, hopefully soon, this world will see a homosexual man or woman standing up on the Capitol Building being sworn in to the place of president. Or at least be able to not wrinkle up our noses at the thought of it. Love, any type of it, is a beautiful thing, and having a rule for it is so wrong in my mind. The world should soften up a bit, and open its arms to every angle of life, race, and love. Homosexuality isn’t a choice, it’s a lovestyle.

kmarshall50 said...
Jan. 9, 2010 at 12:32 am
You're right. It should be allowed anywhere and everywhere. Its closed minded and immature of people to gag at the thought of 2 people of the same sex being together.

QuestionAuthority1128 said...
THIS ARTICLE ROCKS! Excellent excellent excellent, both on your creative and open-minded approach to the issue and your organized and well-laid-out arguments in a beautifully written piece. This is magazine-worthy! Keep up the good work!

Ryne B. said...
As a Bible-following Christian I cannot condone homosexuality, but as an American I cannot condemn it either. For any government to tell certain people they cannot be married is an infringement on their rights...

Kgreg77 said...
Me personally, I don't support gay marriage, but I don't believe that you should treat someone badly because of their homosexuality, after reading this I was touched, wow, some of the things that we say, we don't really think about how it affects other people. Thanks, this helped me gain a new perspective on things.

123098 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 27, 2009 at 2:00 am
Lovestyle, eh? Never heard it called that before. If it's original, kudos to you for a new phrase.

sunsetclimber said...
Aug. 12, 2009 at 12:51 am
so true and amazing. if only everyone was as like minded as you.

AnnaClaire said...
i couldn't agree with you more.

project827 said...
exactly.

jennnnnnn This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i agree with you . i dont believe people can control other people's 'lovestyles'. great job.

comment back on my work? thanks! :)

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Don't worry, theres a lot more people in this world who think like you. America is changing, things will get better. someday people will see a gay couple, and all they'll see is people. people in love, people who are happy. if straight people can fall in love and get married, so can gay people. thank you for writting this.

coderedcarrotqueen said...
that is the coolest writing i have ever seen! good for yoU! i am super duper proud of yoU! i love your writing, it is cool, awesome, and realy true, and meaningful! YOU ROCK MY SOCKS OFF! love you forever! (= CODEREDCARROTQUEEN!